How does Photoshop compare to Hydra or Photomatix for HDR merging/editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Jun 7, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I have tried the trials of Hydra plug in for Aperture 3 and photomatix. The merge works much better in Hydra but I am wondering if anyone uses the merge in photoshop CS5 or older. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's better than it was, but I think for the price, Photomatrix is better really.

Although I've only done a few HDR photos so I might not be fully delving into every PS feature.

3. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

I've been playing around the PS HDR since last night, and I like it. To me it seems like the PS aligns the pictures better than Photomatix. I'll post some examples up when I get back from work.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's a good point actually, PSs alignment is 2nd to none.

5. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I havent done any HDR's since upgrading to CS5 from CS3, but I found the ease of use to desired results was much easier in PS, for me anyways...

6. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

I reran a handful of pics from my Spain trip last year through CS5's HDR. All the pics were taken hand-held, +/-3 Canon G10, 3 exposures. All of them were customization of the "Photorealistic" preset with 100% detail, remove ghosts, and weaker haloing.

Madrid Gran Via HDR
    [​IMG]

Madrid Calle de Tetuan HDR
    [​IMG]

Barcelona La Seu HDR
    [​IMG]

Valencia Arts & Science HDR
    [​IMG]

Valencia La Lonja ceiling HDR
    [​IMG]

Madrid Reina Sofia HDR. My first attempt at using supposedly magical "content aware" brush. Spot the place where I used it, shouldn't be too hard. I don't like the feature, it's weak.
    [​IMG]

7. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

I suggest ignoring the color, or whether it's dark/light, just focus on detail and alignment and see if you can spot the difference. Handheld, Canon G10, +/-3, 3 exp., jpgs.

Photomatix HDR

[​IMG]

PS CS5 HDR
    [​IMG]

IMO, Photomatix is just so much faster and easier to use than CS5. PS will suck your computer dry. Photoshop's menus are a pain in the ass.

8. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im new to HDR, and have alot to learn I think, but so far the best results Ive obtained are using PS's alignment feature and photomatixs tone control.