iPad How does the Air 2 Compensate for the removal of the mute switch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Traverse, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I'm considering upgrading my iPad 3 to the Air 2 and wanted to ask a quick question to current Air 2 owners.

On iPads with a mute switch, whatever function you assigned to the switch, the opposite function was an item in notification center (e.g. if you used the switch to silence the device, Control Center had a rotation lock icon). Since the Air 2 has no switch are both mute and rotation lock in CC or is it just rotation lock and you have silence with the volume buttons?

If you go to Settings -> Sounds and a enable the "Change with Buttons," does that make the volume buttons essentially a silencer? I get email/text/Skype notifications a lot and when in class I used the switch to mute my iPad.

Thanks!

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 68000

AllergyDoc

Mute and rotation lock are in the Control Center. Pressing the down volume button for barely a second mutes the sound regardless of how high the volume was. Pretty nifty.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Thank you. I knew that's how the volume buttons worked, but I often kept my Music at a certain level and preferred to use the switch to mute the device on the fly.

So CC now has six circle/bubble icons?
    - Airplane mode
    - Wifi
    - Bluetooth
    - Do Not Disturb
    - Rotation Lock
    - Mute