How does the Clinton double standard work?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Oct 11, 2016.

1. lostngone, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

We have Ex. President (Mr.)Clinton, on the campaign trail fundraising/giving speeches, you know the one that lied on national TV(what is the meaning of "is") to the American people and shoved Cigars up women's who-ha's IN THE OVAL OFFICE. Yet somehow this same campaign is telling me I should be offended by what Trump said in private??!?

I DON NOT condone either action and I am NOT saying Hillary should be punished for what her husband did. However the second this guy officially goes out and starts campaigning for her I think this topic becomes fair game.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No what people like me are saying is it is ridiculous to complain about one sex obsessed adulterer and not complain about the other. Trying to take one out of the Presidency while trying to put another one in is hypocritical to say the least.

3. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I agree on principle. However historically speaking going back even before Kennedy we seem to ignore the sexual indiscretions of the people that serve in that position. Yet I am being told that starting now it should somehow bother me?

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

The reason it should bother you with Trump is that he doesn't even try to hide it. It's a badge of honor. Whatever you think about the Clinton(s) and their indiscretions, they took great trouble to hide them (if they were even necessary to hide). Trump - he's been the same douchebag for 35+ years. He doesn't even care. He thinks it's normal.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ah...but the difference was all those other men had a level of understanding, temperament and competence that Trump lacks. So the sexual predator stuff is on top of everything else wrong with him.

6. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

understanding? temperament? competence?
    Again... Lets be clear here Bill Clinton THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES stuck a dirty cigar into a woman's who-ha IN THE OVAL OFFICE and then lied about it. How am I suppose upset with what trump said, didn't he apologize?

Back to the subject I don't understand how she can have her husband campaigning for her and turn around and be shocked with what Trump said.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Makes ya wonder why he's pretty well liked by a lot of people all over the world.

Drumpf ? I'll let him speak for himself.

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

And here I am thinking: who the f*** cares about a consensual affair between two grown-ups? Must be prudish Americans. And how that is even related to somebody saying: "I can do whatever I like to women since I'm a famous man-child?"

9. sodapop1, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This is a strawman argument because I don't believe anyone is saying you shouldn't be offended by Bill Clinton's sexual indiscretions. However, you do appear to be using Clinton's behavior as an excuse for Trump. The real question is whether or not the Democratic party would have continued to support Bill Clinton's presidency, if all of this sexual behavior was exposed when he was running for President. Need I remind you of John Edwards whose presidency collapsed after his sexual indiscretions were revealed. Both Trump and Bill Clinton's behavior is outrageous but you don't hire someone for a job knowing that they're a sexual predator and they sexual assault women. And campaigning to raise money is very different than being the leader of the free world.

The bottom line, the Democrats did not knowingly put a sexual predator into office while the Republicans apparently are attempting to do just that and trying to use Bill Clinton as an excuse.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Your error lies in not just what Trump said as if it was just talk. He admitted to committing sexual assault. And his description matches several complaints against him.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So you'd rather have a liar in charge? Pretzels.

12. Huntn, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It sounds like you are describing the GOP/conservative/evangical's double standard.

Denying an affair is a pittance as compared to bragging about how you like to assault women, including putting the heavy moves on a married woman who did not want your attention. Don't forget that Trust has a pending rape charge against him involving a 13 year old and women stepping forward now that it looks like he will crash and burn.

Bill Clinton may have been unfaithful, but there no evidence that he sexually assaulted or raped anyone. The one woman who accused him of rape later, hung out with him afterwards on the campaign trail and recanted her accusation. Another woman claimed he showed her his penis. While in certain environments, that might reach the level of sexual harassment, if proven, it falls well short of Trust's own bragging, a history of crass and degrading language, along with reported inappropriate behavior on the set of the apprentice (while sitting in mixed company, looking at a woman who is part of the group, and askin a guy, sitting nearby "Would you **** her?"), and women stepping forward to accuse him of physical, unwanted sexual advances.

Several of the women claimed to have running affairs with Bill Clinton which in DC and among influential people seems to be practically the norm. While Slimey Newt was leading the charge on Clinton's impeachment, he was screwing his secretary in the back seat of his car while his wife lay dieing in the hospital. Mr. 9-11, a paragon of virtue, Rudy Gulliani move his mistress into his residence while he was still married (as I recall). Since then he's divorced from her and lost custody of his children. The cigar you mentioned was between consenting adults, Lewinski even kept the dress uncleaned as her trophy and bragged to her friend who proceeded to betray her confidences for political gain.

Here is my point, there are relative levels of legal and moral misconduct. Being unfaithful is a moral violation, physical assault is legal violation and you can chase women because your biology drives you to and still claim to respect woman, or you can look at women as your inferiors who are mostly sexual conquests. We all decide where Bill Clinton and Trust sit on the spectrum. Both of them were unable to remain faithful, a characteristic shared by many people. I was extremely dissapointed in what Bill Clinton squandered with his affairs, but I don't view him as a rapist. But here we have Trust bragging in combination of his long history of conflict and derogatory sexist comments, and generally degrading statements he makes about women. I view him as a sexual predator. You may consider it a fine difference, but it's consensual vs unwanted sexual attention.

The biggest point? Trust is running for President against Hillary Clinton, not Bill. And btw, this campaign to accuse her of being Bill's enabler is just pathetic, another chapter in the decades long, character assination campaign conducted by the Right Wing against Hillary Clinton.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You mean the Jane Doe case? You believe it to be true?

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe, I don't know enough to believe. The reported details claim that young girls were invited to a party and at least one claimed she was physically restrained, Trust had sex with her against her will, and told her no one would believe her because he was wealthy and powerful. Did it happen? Don't know, but if she was 13 and it happened, that would be statutory rape. It's also been reported a larger lawsuit is being organized involving multiple women.

Look at Trump, maybe he is as innocent as a lamb, but he drips of being a sexist, sexual predator. I can easily choose just about anyone other than him based on what I've seen of him.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stuff like this doesn't help.

16. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

You calling Hillary a liar without any proof amounts to bearing false witness against your neighbor. You seem to not understand the difference between a lie and false statement. If I put down an incorrect answer to a math problem, that doesn't make me a liar. If Hillary didn't believe that she had sent out any classified emails, her statement claiming that she didn't basically turns out to be incorrect, inaccurate, false or untrue. Just because you do not believe her statement doesn't make her a liar and unless you have any evidence to prove that she knowingly made a false statement, calling her a liar is merely bearing false witness against your neighbor.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why wouldn't you be upset with both men?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

like rape apologist?

19. samcraig macrumors P6

To clarify - what Trump admitted to doing. Not just said.

Let's also be clear that while I do not condone what Clinton did with Monica - it wasn't an unwelcome advance. Bill didn't brag about it. He also apologized for it when he was caught. However, if you watch his apology and Trump's they are very different.

Trump didn't really apologize for what he said and did - he apologized for it getting out. He hasn't changed because he was making inappropriate comments about Miss Universe just a week prior. His apology is also hollow because instead of apologizing and taking ownership of what he said, he first dismissed it. Then with his longer apology, he tried to pivot the situation.

If he was genuinely sorry and wanted everyone to believe him, that he realizes how wrong his comments AND ACTIONS were, he would have let the apology video start and end with the apology.

It's so incredibly transparent that he's not remorseful at all.

And here's the thing - you can be upset about Bill. But if you're going to be upset at that - you can't not be upset at Trump. And Trump is running for President. Not Bill.

20. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Has Clinton ever expressed an enjoyment of sexual assault? No.

A double standard only exists if like can be compared to like.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Yeah. He raped different women and felt guilty after , rape is ok when democrats do it

22. zin Suspended

The First Lady for 8 years, U.S. Senator for 8 years, and SoS for 4 years didn't know that human and signals intelligence was top secret information? You're joking, right?

Doesn't matter anyway. Even after being proven wrong, she still repeats her 'false statements.'

23. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

A poorly-executed deflection. That doesn't answer my question.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

She apologized for it. She said it was the wrong decision and if she did it all over again - she would do things differently. After her apology, she didn't try to shift the blame to Trump and something he did that was in poor judgement

Did you accept Trump's apology as genuine?

25. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

But the real question is what has willy shoved into hillarys hoo ha? I am pretty sure billy boys sexual proclivities used to include madam secretary.