how does the fitness tracker know if i'm just in a slow moving car

chombiekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
hi! i take the subway every day. often times this train moves slow, i can literally jog/run faster than it. how does my watch know not to take this into account as "exercise" when i'm on it?

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
hi! i take the subway every day. often times this train moves slow, i can literally jog/run faster than it. how does my watch know not to take this into account as "exercise" when i'm on it?
Because you're not actively moving. So as long as you don't manually start a walking, running or cycling workout, it won't mistake your train ride for exercise.

chombiekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
Because you're not actively moving. So as long as you don't manually start a walking, running or cycling workout, it won't mistake your train ride for exercise.
many thanks for this answer. i didn't even think about that. does it also take your BPM into considration?

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Arm swing & your heart rate will tell.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Dino F

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
...I don't think this is correct.

It may not count it as exercise but for me, when I commute to work on the train, more often than not, I will get a message on my watch along the lines of '......only a short while to go before you close your exercise ring - a 5 minute walk should do it' and I stand on the train, but by the time I get off at my stop (without me physically moving), my exercise ring will have completed. More than likely, this is due to the vibrations from the train moving, which the watch assumes is me moving....

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
...I don't think this is correct.

It may not count it as exercise but for me, when I commute to work on the train, more often than not, I will get a message on my watch along the lines of '......only a short while to go before you close your exercise ring - a 5 minute walk should do it' and I stand on the train, but by the time I get off at my stop (without me physically moving), my exercise ring will have completed. More than likely, this is due to the vibrations from the train moving, which the watch assumes is me moving....
It should not work that way. I ride a golf cart but it does not fill my rings, only when I walk or run. You should get some steps while riding but it should not fill up your exercise ring.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I don’t get exercise credit when I’m on the train and I think my watch is generally in do not disturb mode because my phone thinks I’m driving!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.