How does Twitter’s blue check mark work?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Does anyone know how Twitter’s blue check mark policy works? Who decides who gets one and when? Below are accounts for 5 Marjory Stoneman Douglas students. 4, who happen to be vocal gun control advocates and anti NRA, have blue check marks and apparently received them shortly after the shooting occurred. The 5th student happens to be a 2nd amendment supporter. For some reason Twitter doesn’t think he’s deserving of a blue check mark. Why? I follow people in media who have the blue check but have fewer followers than Kyle Kashuv so it can’t be that. Honestly I don’t think any of them should have one but the fact Jack sees fit to hand them out to some but not others just stinks of bias.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

While I get the point here is to point out a bias, the fact is at one time Twitter reserved verified accounts for only those with celebrity status, however, over the last couple of years have expanded that to those they think are newsworthy, for whatever reason.

I can tell you I am pretty liberal with over 10,000 followers and have applied a couple of times and have been turned down each time, it feels personal at the time but I think they just look for specific criteria and if you don’t meet it you get turned down. Believe me, if you look you’ll see alt-right extremists verified all over the place so it goes both ways.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Tech industry is heavily slanted left, this isn't new.

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I dont use Twitter, what does the mark represent to the account holder and to a reader?

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It represents the fact that Twitter has verified they’re authentically who they say they are. When applying you literally have to send them a photo of your drivers license and various other forms of proof, such as a picture of you holding a sign with your name on it, etc.

6. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Twitter’s verification policy is actually under review by the company at the moment as they’ve receive criticism for verifying right-wing extremists. Being verified is perceived as some kind of endorsement and whether it actually is or not is irrelevant, Twitter doesn’t want to be associated with nazis. Prior to about six months ago, though, political leaning had no affect on your likelihood of getting verified.

Nor did followers, for the record. I’ve seen accounts with <500 verified. Sometimes it’s automatic for people in certain positions or who work for a company that has been given company-wide verification.

Last time I looked David Hogg wasn’t verified and Emma was, but no one would have complained about bias with that. So maybe just a matter of timing here.

7. juanm, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018

juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

It means verified identity. You can get it even if you don't have many followers.

"To become verified on Twitter, you simply update your profile with current information, verify a phone number and email address, then fill out a form requesting consideration as a verified user."

In the aftermath of the shooting, with the right dead set on spreading their misinformation and smearing their names (including you, Rogifan, as you do in this very thread implying there's some kind of left conspiracy) they are smart if they did. Ask the fifth student via Twitter. Maybe he didn't want to/didn't provide the required information. Go figure. There's loads of 2A supporters who have been verified, so...

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The pro-second amendment guy also has the least followers, although admittedly with @jaclyncorin it is close. The others have 5x more followers.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Frankly, message boards (much like this one) have a far better way of verifying people. For example, to access this forum you need to be a member for so long and have so many posts (or a variation thereof) then you will be automatically placed into a group that has access to post/see this forum. It servers both to verify the user is not a spammer and that they have contributed to the community.

Social media companies like Twitter or FB may have some neat technology but they could learn from the 20 or so years message boards have been around instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

If it merely denotes the user’s identity has been verified then the number of followers or views has no relevance, does it?

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This is my understanding, yes.

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m not implying anything I’m merely asking questions. It seems this blue check policy is arbitrary in terms of who gets one and who doesn’t and who has theirs removed.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2018 ---
    It may have relevance in whether Twitter approves or not. The more I read about this the more it seems not just anyone who provides the proper documentation gets a blue check mark.

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I see. Thank you both.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Twitter recently purged several verified alt-right and fake Russian accounts, it seems obvious that their verification systems is flawed. There are much better ways to verify people but they had to go rogue and are now seeing the results of that.

You are also right about who does and who does not get the check mark. As I mentioned I’ve applied and been turned down but a bunch of fake Russian accounts were approved. Go figure.

15. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I used to think it was simply an objective graphic to verify that someone was who their account said they were, to avoid impersonation accounts and etc. But apparently Twitter also uses it as an endorsement feature. So it's essentially worthless, given that they can remove it from someone on a whim as "punishment."

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Verfying identity would be tricky and burdensome for Twitter. I would envision purging any account would be based on behavior not who they are.

I was a member of a verified law enforcement website. Verification required uploading personal documents including my badge and department identification card. Among other things, the website personally called each department to validate our sworn status and that we were in good standing.

17. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Seems like it doesn’t it? Facebook seems to be more for older folks these days and millennials are all over Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

But it could be very useful. I actually think they should have a check mark for celebrities, athletes, media personalities, etc. and then another (maybe a green check mark) for everyone else that is willing to go through the verification process. It doesn’t have to be a requirement but if you don’t do it you’re unverified. I’ve heard many media types complain about how hard it is to wade through responses to tweets to find the good ones that might be worth responding to vs all the other garbage that’s just noise or trolling. Maybe Twitter could offer a feature where the only notifications you’d see are from verified accounts. Twitter doesn’t have to be a dumpster fire.

20. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

They do—if you're verified, you can choose to see only notifications from other verified accounts. Bit too restrictive an idea though, I think.

21. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ah, didn’t know that. Might work if they verified more accounts. Having media and politicians only talking to each other is no good.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Given their political status right now - I see no issue. It's to help people differentiate them from potential fraudulent accounts. This way the press and other people can verify whether or not those people said what the said - or not.

23. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

The “alt right extremists” aren’t verified—-they are banned or being threatened with banning.

If you pop off loudly and have the correct political view, you have a better chance of getting a blue check.

Twitter is clearly biased to the left and to argue otherwise is to close your eyes to reality.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Twitter Blue check is given to highly sought celebrities and public figures or those at risk of impersonation, to establish authenticity of identities. Currently there is no way for the general user to get Twitter verified.

25. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Must be a pretty loose definition of celebrity, then. Are we calling the Apple podcasters celebrities? Cause I’m not sure f’ing Myke Hurley or Stephen Hackett count as “celebrities.” Ditto Rene Ritchie.