How does warranty work if you gift a new Macbook Pro to someone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Nov 25, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I plan to buy a new entry level Macbook Pro from Amazon and gift it to my mother-in-law who lives outside the US. So if there are any issues with the computer, will Apple still honor the warranty and repair it if she brings it to the Apple store or authorized Apple reseller in the country she lives in (India)? Obviously she will not have any proof of purchase because I bought would have bought the computer, but when she sets up the laptop, she will do it in her name. Is that enough for proof of ownership?

How does warranty for Apple products work when you gift something to someone?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The warranty follows the device, not the owner. Coverage is verified by the device's serial number.

3. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Usually for a warranty to be good in a particular country, the item needs to be purchased from an authorized reseller based in that country. Either that, or the item needs to come with an "international warranty".

If Apple products purchased in the USA come with a USA warranty, it's only good in the USA.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. Apple computer warranties are global.

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Comprehend much? That's why I said "IF Apple products purchased in the USA come with a USA warranty" - meaning I wasn't sure. Apparently they don't, they come with an international warranty.

So yes, what I said WAS true.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not really. Warranty terms vary from one country to another, so US warranties can differ from other countries. It is not an international warranty. However, the US warranty is honored in other countries, subject to whatever limitations may exist. Read the actual warranty for more details. Hardware Warranty (PDF)

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

All I see in that PDF is the same legal mumbo-jumbo that all warranty terms have. The 'limitations' that are mentioned are not dependent on Apple warranty policy in a particular country, but more to do with available Apple warranty resources in each country.

"Global" = "International".