How dumb?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MBX, Sep 26, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Do they think we are?

Both McCain and Obama have accused Russia as being the aggressor when we all know the nutwhacko tie-eating georgian Shakashvili has attacked South-Ossetia first and NOT Russia.

I'm shocked that even Obama isn't better informed on this or maybe he just pretends not to be because he isn't that much of a "Change" after all and Georgia is a keyplayer in being an allay of the New World Order as Shakashvili himself mentioned.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

At least you're being objective. :rolleyes: ..... :D

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sadly people are that dumb. Most people probably know no more that what CNN or Fox News told them about the situation.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly, neither party involved handled it well.....no one is the "good guy" or "innocent victim" in that conflict

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

True to some degree.

I'm definitely no fan of Putin, but it's pretty clear in this case that Russia is being cornered and painted as scapegoat. The US wants to expand power in that region so of course they're not going to admit that their ally Georgia provoked the conflict. When also the Georgian forces have been trained by US-military.

On another note i wish both McCain and Obama would stop being such asskissers to the AIPAC and Israel. Does Israel rule America and it's policies or why is it such a big influence in american politics and especially the elections EVERY TIME?

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Georgia did indeed "start" it. However, though Russia may be unfairly painted as the only aggressor, it does have to accept the responsibility for extreme overreaction, not to mention a Soviet Union-like defiance to world calls for Russia to end the fighting and withdraw.

Of course, we'd hold a much higher moral ground on this issue if we weren't guilty of similar actions ourselves.

What both Obama and McCain fear from Russia is a reversion to old Soviet-style tactics, and of course Putin has given them plenty of reason for that fear...and not just from this one incident.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Blaming Georgia for "starting it" is really only slightly more over-simplistic than blaming Russia for invading Georgia unprovoked. This conflict goes back 18 years, if not hundreds, and neither candidate has the inclination or time to explain the complexities of the situation to an American people who, frankly, just aren't that interested.

Looking for a "bad guy" in this conflict is just more of the same simple-minded crap that gets the U.S. stuck on one side of a conflict and just makes things worse.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If you also know history, Russia has always seen itself as protectors of I believe fellow Slavs. So when they are in danger, Russia will come in to protect them. They did that back in WWI when Austria-Hungary attacked Serbia. Russia came to Serbia's aid.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

If you look at a map, it's easy to see why Putin was antsy. The idea of Georgia and Ukraine becoming members of NATO would make ME antsy, if I had his job.

The part of the deal I don't understand is why, if we were all that heavy into "advising" Georgia, they didn't have a clue about the Russian preparedness, the sucker trap they were jumping into. None of the Russian buildup was hidden from the spy satellites.

The Russian national religion is Paranoia, and given their history it's understandable as to why. You always have to consider others' perceptions in any deal where they see involvement or potential involvement.

An interesting sidelight is how relatively poorly the Russian forces performed...

'Rat

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Relative to what? The Georgian forces were very brave when they were attacking civilians, but ran away at the first sign of military resistance.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A significant portion of our sigint assets are currently otherwise-occupied over a certain portion of the world that isn't Russia right now.