How easily does your iPhone 5 dent.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nubben, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all -have had mine for two weeks and already there's a dent on the side. Lovely phone but this model is going to look battered very shortly.

What's your experience?

Nubben

2. myiphone5 macrumors newbie

Agree... Mine also top left side.. Looks ugly... I don't feel good: I got bumper cover...

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

aluminum dents, scratches, and scuffs. you didn't know this before you bought it?

4. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

@rychencop: What? Are you Schiller in disguise?

My point is that a phone should be more durable than this. And no I did not know that alum scratches more easily.

Don't you think that a phone should be able to withstand scratches unless maybe dropped on the ground?

The phone looks great but the practicality of it - thumbs down.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Al is a soft metal. Anodizing is not a durable coating.

Characteristic of the materials used, and expected in a transition from steel to al.

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

My black iPhone 5 that I got less than 2 weeks ago has already dented and I have no idea how it happened. I haven't dropped it, haven't hit it on anything, or any sort of poor treatment. I've practically babied it since I got it. It's right on the back in the middle of the Apple logo and 'iPhone', not really deep but maybe 1.5cm x 1.5cm in size. Definitely noticeable in light, and I can feel it slightly.

I understand that aluminum is soft but shouldn't they have checked all of this out BEFORE releasing the iPhone 5? Well I don't care anyway, I'm trading this one in for a white one which will have a case on it asap.

7. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I don't know how easily it dents b/c mine isn't dented.

9. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

It is all about Apple giving us a lighter but still larger iPhone. There comes a point where making a phone lighter will compromise strength! Apple has brought us to that "point"!:apple:

Increasing the length and reducing strength by making it thinner and using aluminum instead of stainless steel will result in more dents and BENT iPhone 5 units.

There is so little support material at where the volume up/down buttons are located, the phone is asking to be bent.:eek:

Do not believe me, just stay tuned as we will see more and more posts about bent iPhones in this forum!:rolleyes:

11. Bishwasher macrumors regular

I haven't dented mine yet...I got it one of THESE before I brought the phone and it hasn't been out since.

:apple:

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

13. dotme macrumors 6502a

4/4S = Coffee Mug. 5 = Tea Cup - Dainty and all kinds of fragile. Wrapped mine in a hard shell case the day I brought it home. I'm okay with it and I love the 5, but I agree with HowardSmith - The new "design" is much more likely to dent, ding, scratch and bend.

Apple may need to break with the 2 year physical update cycle and make some material/engineering changes in 2013. People won't keep buying them if the perceived durability falls off a cliff. One of the great things about the earlier iPhone models was that they were good looking and strong.

14. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Oh cool! I was worried there wasn't going to be a 50th thread on this subject. So, glad that the OP chose to start a new one instead of using Search and contributing to one of the other existing threads. :p

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Mine looks great. Don't blame Apple because you aren't careful with your phone.

Attached Files:

16. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

@darngooddesign: I don't blame Apple for my mistakes but I do blame Apple for not designing a phone (no, I did not know AI was softer than steel) which is more durable.

As other users here I baby my phone and do not know how this happened. I'm just saying if this will be the norm it will look ugly soon.

I still champion the first iPhone as the most durable phone they have made.

@SpyderBite: Well, don't reply to the thread then. Better to simply ingore it wouldn't you say?

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Mine has somehow managed to remain dent free this week; seems pretty durable to me.

18. anthdci macrumors 6502

just noticed mine has a big dint in the side :mad: no idea how it got there. There is some scuffs on the chamfered edge too. I actually hope something goes wrong with it to get a replacement.

19. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you have never held an aluminum can?
    iphone 5=soup can
    iphond 4/s= glass bottle.

one dents easier.. one shatters easier.

21. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That. I have had all the iPhones since the 3G, carried them naked, and have made it to the end of each year with a pristine phone to sell. If you're not able to do that, or not willing to take the risk, put a damn case on the thing.

I don't understand why people expect Apple to come out with some sort of super-material that won't dent, scratch, bend, be too heavy, too ugly, block radio signals, be uncomfortable to hold, and won't cost a million bucks. Seriously, people complained about the OG iPhone's back, then about the 3G/3GS' plastic, then about the glass, and now this.

What. Do. You. Want?

22. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I really wanna go caseless, but threads like this scare me. :eek:

23. ccwestcliff macrumors member

I understand that different people have different "relationships" to the technology they use, but I for once am very aware that I paid $900 and this is how I tread it: like a $900 golden egg!

If I would be wearing a $900 watch I would also make sure that I don't bump or scratch it and the same applies to my iPad and MBA etc.

In other words I have a Snugg leather case (highly recommended) and no other protection so if I take my phone out to use it, it is "naked" and it still looks as pristine as on release day! :)

24. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I've had the i5 since day one and it is spotless. I even dropped it a few days ago from about chest high. I was horrified! I picked it up expecting the worst to find it was spotless. Not a dent or so much as a scratch on it. I can't say the same for my i4/i4S. That little plastic bezel that runs around the glass screen and back would always crack and chip the second you dropped it. Then dirt and grime would collect in the little jagged edges. One drop is all it would take.

I'm digging the i5 housing.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A couple of hours have passed and I still haven't dented mine. Nubben, I'll let you know how it is after the weekend.