How Easy&Expensive to upgrade a 13" Macbook Pro Hard drive to a SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zwikker, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

So I am about to purchase a 13" High End Macbook Pro(2012) and wonder if I should get the 128GB Solid State Drive for an extra $100 or just get the basic 750HDD then upgrade later?
    Any suggestions? I'm not really sure if 128gb SSD will be enough for me but at the same time I own a 1TB external HDD so I can always transfer files in it. Right? Tough call.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's very simple to upgrade, and Apple gives instructions on how to do so in the MBP User Guide.

3. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

Great! How are the prices on those SSD's? Let's say I want to remove my 128GB Solid State Drive and Add a 512GB Solid State Drive in it.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd get the basic drive and upgrade it later. It's an extremely simple process...took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to install the SSD in my 2011 15" MBP, and the only other thing I'd ever done before was upgrade the RAM.

Honestly, the $100 that they're charging is somewhat reasonably priced. But if you do it yourself later then you have that 750GB HDD that you can use as an external backup.

5. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

Oh that sounds about right. So you suggest me to get the basic 750GB HDD one then upgrade it later on. 8gb ram and 256GB SSD should rocket that machine!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You just need to shop around, as prices change frequently.

7. ssn637 macrumors 6502

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes don't get the 128gb ssd if you plan on upgrading to a 256 or 512gb ssd. Just get the 750gb drive then upgrade to the 256 or 512gb ssd later. Then you can use the 750gb drive as a backup drive in an external case or replace the optical drive with it.

9. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

A SATA II connection will still allow you to use an SSD, it just won't be as fast as SATA III. It would still be faster than a regular HDD. You should still be able to use a SATA III drive, even if the connection is only SATA II.