How Easy&Expensive to upgrade a 13" Macbook Pro Hard drive to a SSD

Zwikker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Morgantown, WV
So I am about to purchase a 13" High End Macbook Pro(2012) and wonder if I should get the 128GB Solid State Drive for an extra $100 or just get the basic 750HDD then upgrade later?
Any suggestions? I'm not really sure if 128gb SSD will be enough for me but at the same time I own a 1TB external HDD so I can always transfer files in it. Right? Tough call.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I am about to purchase a 13" High End Macbook Pro(2012) and wonder if I should get the 128GB Solid State Drive for an extra $100 or just get the basic 750HDD then upgrade later?
Any suggestions? I'm not really sure if 128gb SSD will be enough for me but at the same time I own a 1TB external HDD so I can always transfer files in it. Right? Tough call.
It's very simple to upgrade, and Apple gives instructions on how to do so in the MBP User Guide.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I'd get the basic drive and upgrade it later. It's an extremely simple process...took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to install the SSD in my 2011 15" MBP, and the only other thing I'd ever done before was upgrade the RAM.

Honestly, the $100 that they're charging is somewhat reasonably priced. But if you do it yourself later then you have that 750GB HDD that you can use as an external backup.

Zwikker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Oh that sounds about right. So you suggest me to get the basic 750GB HDD one then upgrade it later on. 8gb ram and 256GB SSD should rocket that machine!
I'd get the basic drive and upgrade it later. It's an extremely simple process...took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to install the SSD in my 2011 15" MBP, and the only other thing I'd ever done before was upgrade the RAM.

Honestly, the $100 that they're charging is somewhat reasonably priced. But if you do it yourself later then you have that 750GB HDD that you can use as an external backup.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Yes don't get the 128gb ssd if you plan on upgrading to a 256 or 512gb ssd. Just get the 750gb drive then upgrade to the 256 or 512gb ssd later. Then you can use the 750gb drive as a backup drive in an external case or replace the optical drive with it.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
If the attached review is to be trusted an SSD upgrade won't be worth it on these models, since they're limited to 3 GB/s:

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...-pro-13inch-ivy-bridge-release-handson-review

The 2011 models allowed 6 GB/s (theoretical) SATA interfaces, as do the current MacBook Airs.
A SATA II connection will still allow you to use an SSD, it just won't be as fast as SATA III. It would still be faster than a regular HDD. You should still be able to use a SATA III drive, even if the connection is only SATA II.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.