How easy is it for a MBP owner to get used to using a Magic Trackpad to the side of the keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SheridanMac, Jan 19, 2016.

1. SheridanMac macrumors member

I'm considering getting an external keyboard and mouse so I can use my MBPr in clamshell mode, but am not sure I could give up pinch zoom which I depend on A LOT. So I'm now looking at the Magic Trackpad. I've gotten so used to the location of the trackpad on my MBPr that it's hard for me to imagine using it to the right of the keyboard. Is that something you get used to pretty quickly? And does anyone here use their Magic Trackpad in front of their keyboard to mimic the MBP trackpad? Any feedback much appreciated.

2. Osamede macrumors 6502

I switch between this MBP 13" and in desktop mode using the Apple Wireless Keyboard +Magic trackpad in the Henge Docks Clique frame. I dont find there is any problem. In some ways it might be even easier to do it without the frame, and push the trackpad farther away from the keyboard to the right, so that you have more space for your right hand. Try it.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I dock mine and use an external keyboard and Magic Trackpad, and I love it. Having the trackpad to the side is preferable to me, seems I often hit it with my thumb when I type on the built-in keyboard, and my work computer (Windows) has a mouse off to the side, so the feel and the ergonomics feel natural to me.

4. SheridanMac thread starter macrumors member

Belated thanks for replies. My only concern with trackpad to the right of the keyboard is if I use an extra wide keyboard with a numpad, going back and forth with my right hand might be much more of a pain. Probably overthinking this! Think I need to head to an Apple Store and just try it out.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

Chiming in... I use a Logitech K811 (no need for an extended keyboard as I also use a separate numerical keypad when I need it) with a Magic Trackpad 2 and a Wacom Intuos Pro Medium with my rMBP. Sometimes my Mac is in clamshell mode, sometimes it's open. I don't even think about it anymore - I've used AutoCAD for years on a PC with multiple input peripherals, drafting with both hands and using the keyboard in the middle for keyboard commands, and my billables beat my coworkers every month.

I use the Magic Trackpad 2 with either hand, depending on my mood. Don't fret about it, a new configuration takes about 2-3 hours to get used to the first time, then it becomes almost second nature. And, my Mac's working surface stays really clean, too!

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Definitely overthinking this - my trackpad sits to the right of my tenkey. No issues for me.