How easy to buy a locked iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilson7, Oct 24, 2013.

1. wilson7 macrumors newbie

Hi mates i will like to know how easy it to buy an iphone 5s which is locked to a carrier.

I saw on apple store that the iphone 5s locked is just $200 i am not in a country where all those carrier exists and no apple store here.

My dad is currently in the UK and will be returning by December so i was thinking if the locked iPhone 5s is as cheap as $200 i will not mind getting one just to use as an iPod for now though i might be in UK later next year then continue using it as a phone then.

Thanks

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You're going to buy a locked iPhone with a phone contract your not going to use? That makes no sense.

3. wilson7 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you got my question right, this doesn't answer that, it is not to you to judge if it makes sense or not, that is what i want and all i needed to know is if i can get a locked iphone 5s at the same price listed on apple store and how easy is it to get it and pay the $200 once.

Just don't worry as i said i want the iPhone 5s and i want to use it for a modelling (no need giving details because you will not understand) whilst going to be used if i get to UK later next year.

Thanks

4. iterva macrumors regular

I believe the only way you can get the phone for those ~200 is by signing a contract with a carrier for X amount of months with a monthly fee. So in the end going for a carrier subsidized option usually means in the end you pay more for the phone than you would if you just purchase it off-contract and/or unlocked from the start.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Keep in mind that you need to activate a carrier subsidized (locked) iPhone with the carriers SIM to be able to use it at all. No SIM = No iPod functionality in your case.

5. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Sure you could buy the locked phone from the Apple store. However, you will need to take out a contract with the carrier, which will need to be paid monthly and could last up to 2 years. I'm not sure whether any of the carriers would sell you a contract as you would probably need some sort of proof or residence and be able to pass the credit check.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

What are you trying to say? The above is very confusing. Seems like you're chiding Coleman2010 for not understanding your question, but without any semblance of sentence structure it's difficult to tell.

Exactly. That $200 phone comes with a 24 month contract that you either pay monthly or get out of with an early termination fee. Generally with all the fees and service charges buying an on-contract phone and terminating it early is about the same cost in the end as just buying a full price phone.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

To get that $200 price you have to open an account with the carrier for 2 years and many many other things.
    Its not that you just buy an iphone locked to a carrier for $200 and that's it.
    Maybe your Dad can explain to you how that works and the 24 months contract agreement, early termination fees etc...

8. wilson7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, i get the story now....will just buy the unlocked, i knew it will not be that easy to just get the phone at that price even if locked.

Thanks and sorry Coleman2010 if i sounded rude, sorry sir

9. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

No problem. You would be wasting money signing a 2 year contract you will not use. You're better off buying it full price unlocked.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well you are correct, I don't understand what you're trying to do.