How even is your iPhone 5 tint / backlight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TrimmTrabb, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TrimmTrabb, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

TrimmTrabb macrumors member

I don't want to rehash the blue / yellow arguments. I'm OK with a slightly yellower tint.

What I'm wondering is whether this is common or not, where the top 1/4 of the screen is somewhat yellower when looking at a white background.

To test this, open page with a white background in Safari (e.g. Google search results), and hold the iPhone in landscape in full-screen mode. Does the FaceTime edge of the phone look a bit duller, dimmer or yellower than the home button end?

(Another way to test is to then bring up the keyboard by tapping the Search box. Does one end of the keyboard look a different tint than the other?)

Thanks to anyone who took the time to check and give your feedback.

2. BRyken macrumors 6502

I really can't tell any difference, seems pretty consistent to me.

3. Megalobyte, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

My 64 GB black has it, as does my wife's 32 white, bought from different places a few weeks apart, my son's new iPod touch 5g also has it.

The slight darkening or yellowing at the top of the screen is dependent on the angle you're holding it relative to your eyes. Tip/angle the top of the screen away from you, it gets yellower, tilt towards you, brighter, since all 3 devices do it, I'm guessing its fairly normal.

4. TrimmTrabb thread starter macrumors member

Sure, the entire screen shifts a bit in tint as you angle the screen differently. This is consistent with all LCDs.

However, that top portion of the screen should remain yellower / darker relative to the rest of the phone no matter how you tilt it. That is, if you're looking at the screen dead centre, the top of the phone is yellower. And no matter how you tilt the phone, you can't recreate that same yellowing effect on the bottom of the phone.

Does that make sense? Or are you seeing something different?

5. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Almost every unit since iP4 have it to some degree.
    I had two terribly backlighted units (4S) before to get a full refund and buy a perfect one.
    In my Apple Store 80% of the exposed units have this dimmish 1/4 of the upper part of the screen. One more, another less obvious, but all to some point.

6. TrimmTrabb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the insight.

If it's a common problem, I'm feeling like it's a bit pointless for me to play the exchange lottery. I didn't notice this on my iPhone 4 - so it may be particularly stronger on my 5 - but exchanging seems like a frustrating game with low odds. Or I could get one that exhibits less of this problem, but damage to the bezel, etc.

7. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Really liked your phrase

"exchange lottery"

It's really true; one has to decide whether it's worth the hassles, time, effort to keep going back.

My experience, with the iPhone 4, was that photos and video looked better on the "yellower" screen while news sites and text was better on the "bluer" screen.

But then I was used to a bluer iPod Touch 2G.

I also found out that if you spent several days with the creamier colored device, and then went back to the "bluish" one, it looked really, really BLUE and quite artificial.

We ended up with one cream tint and one bluer tint, and selling off the others.