How Exactly Will AT&T Remain Competitive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

At present AT&T has some "advantages" over Verizon when it comes to the iPhone:

- 3G+
    - Simultaneous Voice/Data
    - "Faster" Data in some areas

But with 4G LTE, Verizon and AT&T will be on the exact same playing field. Given AT&T's horrible customer service record, how will they compete against Verizon? At present it seems that Verizon has better and faster 4G LTE coverage, and on the whole they seem to have better customer service policies.

Is it just me, or should AT&T be VERY afraid of Verizon in the coming years?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Verizon regular data Plan:
    $30 for 2GB

ATT regular data Plan:
    $30 for 3GB

Sounds like they have quite the advantage to me already ;)

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Will people really be flocking from AT&T's horrible customer service record to Verizon's horrible customer service record?

What's the draw?

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I just watched a Verizon commercial that said they are doubling the $30 plan from 2 gig to 4 gig.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

With companies the size of AT&T and Verizon both have numerous customer service horror stories.

The main consideration that should be used to pick carriers is how they perform in your area. For me....AT&T is the clear winner and for that reason I will stay with them until Verizon gives me a reason to do otherwise.

6. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

That's for Android devices only. That's there way to entice you to buy Android instead of iPhone.

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

That's only for 4G LTE devices (android) and only runs through March.

Nice try though ;)

8. drkryn macrumors member

It's for 4G devices only. That's Verizon's way of getting more people on their LTE network. It has nothing to do with Android vs. Apple.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The competition starts (again) with LTE. Neither company has the LTE footpring currently to have much of an one up on the other (VZW has more, but not enough IMO). We will have to see what happens, I guess. Right now, I find the two companies about equal to one another. Each have their own advantages.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

I have both AT&T and Verizon.

People need to stop complaining about AT&T. What people need to worry about is we may soon basically have a duopoly in this country.

Verizon and AT&T while competitors have decided to try to weed out the much smaller Sprint and Tmobile USA (which eventually be sold off in bits the pace it's going after the failed buyout).

So AT&T will remain competitive for a long time.

Oh. LTE coverage is flaky with Verizon. Ask yourself. If you lose LTE can drop down to CDMA speeds. Than ask yourself if you have AT&T LTE (we have if in orlando) and drop down to HSPA plus speeds. What's the worse drop off speeds?

AT&T/Cingular customer service has always been great to me for past 8 years. Verizon service has been great for me also.

11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It varies market to market. In a lot of markets AT&T has better service, in many others, Verizon does. AT&T has more phones (albeit many crappy ones), and a better store experience.

Most people aren't as insane as people on here or Hofo.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

How exactly does this have anything to do with the iPhone?

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

AT&T has much better discount policies. My corporate discount applies to texting and data plans for all users on the family plan, not just the primary user. Switching to verizon would cost at least $30 more per month and lose unlimited data.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

AT&T has a lot better customer service, and their 4G is much faster as others have said, will fall back to a pretty fast HSPA+ network, rather than a 1xEV network. Though Verizon is much better for rural usage, and 1xEV is a lot better than EDGE on AT&T.

15. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

What do you mean "nice try". I honestly didn't know it was only for LTE.

16. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Will Verizon's LTE support sim cards? If no, then my vote still goes with AT&T (tmobile if they ever get the iphone).

17. Spectrum Abuser, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Verizon's LTE already supports sim cards and it has since day one.

18. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

really? good to know.. thanks!

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Remember that LTE was the migration path for GSM, not CDMA originally. CDMA was supposed to go towards UMB (which still would have lacked SIM cards & and due to lack of support from Verizon or Sprint, Qualcomm just gave up on it.), in this case, VZW made a good decision, and went with a "GSM" Standard....though it would be wrong to call it GSM :p

In a couple more years, maybe we can have true mobile provider competition again in the US, when everyone is on the same standard, and you can just unlock your phone and take it to any carrier (or buy a phone from Europe, etc...)

20. ap3604 macrumors 68000

This is going to be a BEAUTIFUL thing if/when it happens. Wonder if the carriers though will put their LTE (and phones) on different frequencies than each other to prevent people from leaving...

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Its nice to have LTE but how many cities in the US do at the moment?
    I know with verizon is more than AT&T has now but hope they both extend their LTE coverage.
    The only thing that sounds good with staying on an unlimited AT&T iphone data plan with 4G LTE is that the throttling wont begin till after 5GB's.
    Wonder if Verizon will go hardcore with throttling users or if they will let it be trully unlimited.

22. towboattrash34 macrumors member

What is the point of having a supper high speed network when you can only use it for fraction of the time before you get throttled ???
    Phone makers can make our phones do just about anything with just cheap parts, but phone companys to upgrade cost millions...

I just don't see the point in advertising high speed data when you can blow threw it in less than a day ?????

23. cynics macrumors G3

It's more about doing what you do faster. I have a 5 gb plan with my 4g tablet and never use it all. I COULD but I don't.

[​IMG]

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

LOL! AT&T scared?

So you do not think AT&T knows what it is doing and it will go out of business?:p

AT&T will be just fine. SUre they might loose so high data users but in the end where will they go as ALL of the carriers charge the same or more!

Coverage is everything, pick your poison! AT&T has been good to me but then I do not abuse my bandwidth!:p

----------

You can have all the data you want at high speed. Obama gave the carriers the right to chage for bandwidth and the carriers are. It is the way it will be for all the carriers.

25. cynics macrumors G3

I don't think it will matter once there is a Verizon LTE iPhone. Verizon has plenty of iPhone users even though there speed is slow compared to AT&T.

Some users may switch just for a speed increase but I wouldn't expect massive changes.