How far can a real estate agent go to sell a house?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

A neighbor, who we all know and like, wants to sell their big house for $1.2 million. But since we are in a recession, this isn't an easy sell so the real estate agent corporation has tried to make the neighborhood "help out".

They said if we don't move the cars from out from the front of our houses (if it's too many cars), they will call the police. Note the real estate agent is the former police chief so he has buddies on the force. I am a former officer of the court and I know the law but I also know cops here don't follow the law, issue tickets, and then have us kick it back in their face. It's small town due process. I personally don't have any issue of the whole neighborhood pitching in to help the real estate agent make a sale. If he pulls this very big sale off for a $600,000 dollar house and gets close to double the actual price, then the whole neighborhood can ask kind of high if we need to sell.

I put my cars in my driveway and don't have anything illegal for the city limits such as livestock, sunroofs, satellite dishes, or a fence over six feet high.

The police chief turned real estate agent then wants to know what kind of musician I am into since I see his band (yes, he plays music at the clubs, too), and wants to know if I turn it up loud. He wants to know if I am one of those rocker types. Heck I am going to be 50 but he's 75 so I appear as a kid to him. I am, however, a 30 year amateur rock and roll musician but I hardly turn it up as I only have a 15 watt amplifier. I used to have a 100 watt Marshall amplifier when I lived around the corner and was able to shake the neighborhood in my youth and I have had many visits from the men in blue. ;) But one other neighbor gives piano lessons for a living and he does have a lot of cars come by to drop off their children but sometimes the parents hang out in their cars in the street thus making it harder for cars to see an open house event.

Anyway, I know as soon as the neighbor's house sells, if it does, then the former police chief/real estate agent won't care how many cars the neighbors park outside or if the music we play on our stereos or instruments are too loud.

The real estate agent wants desperately, in this hard time, to make a big sale.

What do you guys think?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're looking to avoid trouble, do as he requests. If you're looking to uphold your rights, fight it, but be aware that it might be a long fight.

edit: I'm pretty sure what he's trying to do is make the area seem more appealing, which could be considered real-estate fraud??? I'm not a lawyer or a real-estate agent, so what do I know!

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You are allowed to park in the street. What could they possibly issue a ticket for?

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

In the city ordinance, they can't issue a ticket to anybody in the outer area, outside of downtown, unless one parks a car in one spot without moving it for 72 hours. It's the 72 hour rule.

Sometimes, the neighbor, with five cars, does keep a car or two undriven in that period of time but they can use their large garage or driveway which they don't seem to. They park four, sometimes five of their cars every night on city property, and not on their own property.

This doesn't bug me at all since I have a tall set of hedges and I don't see the cars which are all better than mine. But I am not under the gun to try and sell an expensive house either.

What the agencies usually do is ask high in a price range before the real estate crash, and sell low. When the new buyer (80% percent who don't live here or even close) get a house for 40% percent off, they come out of it all thinking they scored a big deal.

It's not unlike White Flower Day Sale at Macy's or the big sell-offs at Pac Sun where you are buying a $40 dollar blouse or polo shirt for $7.99. But I have been going to Pac Sun forever and most of the year that $40 dollar blouse is discounted to under $15 bucks. It's only in the first few weeks that Pac Sun sells full retail that they sell for full price.

It's a retail trick and I don't know if that's real estate fraud or just the business of real estate.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think you should talk politics.

He'd probably claim to be a libertarian. :rolleyes:

6. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Conflicted.

If I was a homeowner in the neighborhood, I would be motivated to help the agent sell the expensive house. A rising tide lifts all boats.

On the other hand, I don't like being strong-armed and I have a natural contrarian streak. I've been known to fight the power on principle.

Hard to say which way I'd jump.

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

You have been out of recession for a year.

But even in economically stable times, one has to respect one's own greed and bend over. Do what they say but when the sale is over or the agent is losing the contract, act accordingly and send them all where they belong.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Personally I'd write an anonymous letter to the local paper with this story, re-telling the bit about musicians in the third person of course.

Then if they publish the letter and embarrass the hell out of him I'd comply with what he asks, so that he doesn't have a clue it's me that shopped him :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Uh, I think you're sadly mistaken.

It's a buyer's market right now so asking price, unless he's getting multiple offers at a time, doesn't mean sales price. In CA the RE Agent can only require you to adhere to the restricted covenants of the HOA if they exist. Being a former chief using tatics like that is slimy and I would report his ass to the DRE. I don't care who he is or what he controls, the DRE owns him now. This kind of crap pisses me off and I bet it wouldn't be tough for me to figure out who he was and report him myself.

The annoyance comes from the fact that I bet you didn't become a homeowner so you could have some newbie agent looking to make a quick sell in a buyer's market tell you what to do. If you want to help, fine. Neighbors can certainly steer buyers away, they have for me. However, if there really is an issue with eyesores throughout the street then I would be bummed to see them pop up the day I close on my house.

How far can he go? Not as far as you're saying he is going. There are serious implications there when you say or imply that he could use his former career as a means to get what he wants.

As for the house selling at $1.2mm thus raising your value, only if you're in a comparable house, which is not uncommon.

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Yes and no. I know you don't live in the US, *he he, this could be seen as good or bad, but from the history of your posts I assume you are either from the UK, but possibly from NZ or Australia? I used to live in the UK and do miss London. PM me on what you think about the recent "change" in UK's government as to keep this thread on track. That in itself is rather odd.

but back to this thread...

The USA, technically has been out of a recession. Whether this has anything to do with the current President vs. the former one is its own thread. My state has a few issues but I won't mention which one it is so as to keep this thread on track. ;)

But our state and county is in the toilet.

Our unemployment in our county is just below 13% percent (12.7 % percent US Census Bureau at Quarter's end) and north county 25 minutes from here is at 39.7% percent last month. Our city has a far higher unemployment at around 25% percent. Our county's average home went from $699K way down to $280K but seems to have stabilized there. But since the apparent end in the housing price decline, I have noticed a large presence of Canadian investors and almost got a part time job working for Keller Williams Canada to aid agents on what could be an upswing in our county.

That being said, for our county, these employment numbers are the best numbers in more than one year. North county has been over 40% percent for the better part of a year and some predicted a 50% percent jobless rate not helped by being victim to a e-coli agricultural scare (which ended up not being tied to the particular vegetable which that area is renowned for). We have had three major e-coli scares that made national headlines. Our city is a retirement village so most people are too old to work and has never posted good employment numbers, so gauging a retirement village where people are retired as to how high the unemployment is is just plain silly. ;)

On the other hand, business failure downtown is at an all-time high, we hosted a world-class sports event where motel rooms booked a year in advance didn't go booked at all, and for the first time in many years the touristy city has posted negative numbers.

I am not a real estate agent, but I could see where some of the positive facts from what I just googled could be used to help justify a pre-recession asking price. Though I am not confident that, on paper, people believe we are (two consecutive quarters with a positive GDP), that this will translate into a renewed housing market. I have confidence for the USA as a whole is, if I am to believe the press, our heartland is doing very well. The coasts, where there used to be some very high rollers in business who have had bad numbers, tends to dominate the press with its economic bad news. You hear the bad news about the big east and west coast states, but rarely do you hear the good news about the heartland. How often does good news get reported? I think I agree with Rasmussen who concludes it's a big reason why many of those states voted for John McCain. When the recession was mild in W's second term in your state, then why change parties? If my state did reasonably well from 2004-2008, it would not be out of the ordinary to vote GOP if I only looked at the economy and nothing else. However, if I were a CA, OH, FL, or NY voter and voted only based on state economy, I would go Democrat.

The effect on two quarters of positive GDP may not translate over to a spike in real estate and if it does, it would take longer to affect an area which was extremely over-inflated. Just a few counties south of us, the first major city in America to have a foreclosure crisis was the harbinger of bad things to come. The unofficial name of that city was "foreclosure city". My brother's condo bought years ago went from 350 to 450 over a long period of time, and then suddenly fell to 350 during the crisis and is below 300 right now. The entire complex is empty though and I don't know if this means this is bad or that it's a potentially good future investment.

Other cities like Las Vegas had similar foreclosure issues yet not on the level of what we have locally. Heck, if I could only live in an area with jobs like Las Vegas, so it's all relative. Our state's report card on June 30 was a $19.1 billion dollar deficit. Naturally, many blame the Governor and legislature, but it's not that simplistic.

As for the real estate agent mentioned in the first postt, I hope he sells high for the sake of the neighborhood and though he seems to have done some unethical things, I don't feel a need to turn him in. It is a little creepy that the real estate agent lives a few blocks away and I suspect there are some personal motives here. Is that against any real estate laws? I am neutral on his behavior because I have seen worse. It's not very comfortable not being white in my town but the real estate agent is African-American but so was our "conservative" former Secretary of State. But I can see where many of you seem angry.

Until recently (long after Martin Luther King Jr.), you could never get a house here if you were Sicilian, Jewish, Asian, Hispanic, or Black. The neighboring city still has an ordinance on the books against all those groups (except Sicilians). When the local paper found this out, they challenged city hall and were outraged. Luckily that paper is liberal. Most ironically, the Mexican-American mayor said it would cost too much to change the law and that also, nobody pays attention to it anyway and that every city in America has at least one stupid law which has not been rescinded. Her city did strike down an anti-homosexuality law twenty years ago which read something like this: "venetian blinds, if present, are not allowed to be closed in city limits lest sodomy be promoted". Yes, our county and city are rednecks though our state is usually a blue state.

But like a few other states, we are only blue due to large cities who vote blue and make up a majority of the populace. The suburban areas and rural areas are overwhelmingly conservative and being a minority, I stay out of any area too far from the big city. We have the largest Klan population by far in the USA and that's not something to be proud of and we are home state to the most unpopular, reactionary right-wing US President in history.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

He's not selling your house.

Eff him.

You think that by MAYBE selling the house for so much that when time comes to sell yours that you too can get more than its worth or a higher price because of previous sales in the neighborhood?

Thats just wishful thinking. You probably wont use this agent, you probably wont have the ability to ask with threat of civil penalties when you do end up selling.

So, no, dont help the agent get his 3-6% of $1.2mil unless he is gonna share the profit with you. Profit he got by "falsifying" the neighborhood. Like someone said, buying a house on a street with no cars parked on the curb only to come back the day after closing and see the street turned into a parking lot. Id be pissed especially when I ask my new neighbors why and they say that the agent said they didnt need to help anymore after the house sold.

Its NOT YOUR AGENT, dont do anything for them beyond common courtesy. The rest is the character of the neighborhood.

12. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Everyone, thanks for all your input.

he he, if he sells that house for double what it is worth and what similar houses in town have been going for, we should let him sell off the whole neighborhood and we can all buy the iPhone 4s in a 200 mile radius just for kicks. :D ... only thing is I don't own any real estate but everybody else does from what I think or I think they do.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Personally, I'd find a friend with a hooptie, spinners and hydraulics, and park it across the street from the house. Everytime they show up for a showing, blast some bass heavy music, and fire off some blanks from your starter pistol.

Hooptie=[​IMG]

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I love the idea and it sounds like a lot of fun.

What is a hooptie?

I know what a Hooter is but I don't think the wife would let me rent a few of those. ;)

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

There is no 'actual price'. Price is determined by the market. By whatever the buyer is willing to pay. Supply/demand... not what the assessor says.

If they asked nicely if I would help out... I'd be more than glad to do so if it helped to raise the value of the homes in that area.

If they were mean about it and 'told me' to move my cars. I might think twice and make a point... or ask that they "ask me again... nicely." ;)

If it's not a big deal to you, don't make a big deal about it. Honor is something sorely lacking in this world.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    See the best thing to do is humour him and go along with it, it will be best for all concerned. Practically it won't make much if any noticeable difference to anyone's life.

I have a terrible time playing adult some days though and in this situation I'd have been hard pressed not to tell him to f$$k off and write a will.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We left "nicely" when the threat of police involvement came into play.

18. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

LMAO!!

will do...no pun intended...what's the spelling of your name and do you want the cash in small or large denoninations? ;)

19. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If you're not breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about. If you are, he's perfectly within his right to taddle. This is pretty clear cut, I don't see where the wrong doing is here.