How fast can a Finger print sensor work? How long

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

It takes to read it?
    Is the tech fast enough to capture your finger print in half a second?
    Like when we press the home bottom to turn It out
    We wouldn't need to hold out fingers any longer than before?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

3. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I have to use a finger print scanner, and ID card swipe, at work to enter some of the more secure areas and it takes a few seconds for it to read/register and unlock the door. I can't imagine one working better on a phone.

4. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

That's my thought. I haven't seen one on any device I have used work in a half a second. Those that absolutely HAVE to use it will use it, others won't use it because it will most likely take too long to unlock the phone.

Unless they drop the ref points down to make it faster and in turn make it less secure and then the people that really want it won't be able to use it.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Its not about unlocking vs scanning, its typing the code vs scanning.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

I believe it will be instant. And you won't hold your thumb down, you'll swipe it.

The purpose of many fingerprint scanners is to determine "who you are" (1:n or one-to-many identification).

On the iPhone, the purpose is to determine "if you are you" (1:1 or one-to-one identification)

Searching a database of several thousand print algorithms to find the best match can take time.

Searching a database of one print algorithm to find out if it's a match or not would be instant.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I would imagine the reader on your phone is going to accumulate a lot more oil and residue on it as well which will likely make the scan more difficult.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Remember that you do not HAVE to use the finger scanner. I won't. It is not a big deal.

9. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I thought that the sensor used by Authentec used radio waves to read your finger rather than optics?

10. Poly macrumors 6502

This is one of the best posts in this regard!

11. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Not sure how anyone can say for certain either way about using this when we know nothing about how it works, how quick it is and what it can be used for.

12. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Good explanation.
    Apple usually doesn't release things that they have to compromise on (ie: having to wait a few seconds for the scanner to work.)

13. cynics macrumors G3

There are too many privacy nuts, security reasons, and accessibility issues for a finger print scanner to be mandatory. I think that's a given.

I can't use a private scanner due to my contract with my employer until they test it and learn how it works (mostly whether the info is kept locally or on a server).

I know a guy (friend of a friend) who had a paint ball gun explode on him and he doesn't have prints on his right hand (and his face is all messed up, terrible really).

Neither of us could use an iPhone? Unlikely.

14. bransoj macrumors 6502a

It wont be something thats mandatory to use just like the pin code you enter now. I've not had one on my phone for years as i find it a bit of a pain to keep entering all the time. My argument above was that its difficult for anyone at this time to categorically say either way they will or wont use it when we know nothing about it. It could turn out to be really good, work very quickly and have no flaws!

15. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

It will scan in a instant... should be faster than using your 4 digit passcode.

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

It should be similar to typing in a 4 digit passcode. Unless your code is just one number four times, it will not be faster than that. It will take around 2 seconds.

17. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

My concern is this, if I have finger print scanning turned on, and my wife grabs my phone, her finger will fail, so then what? will a code pop up for her to bypass it?

18. Motherload0211 macrumors member

We don't know yet. But I bet Apple will tell us how tuesday

19. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I found an interesting article reporting from Mobile World Congress 2013 concerning a rival fingerprint scanner company to the one Apple purchased, CrucialTec.

There is a video attached which shows unlocking using fingerprint and considering the added security aspect for me (I can't be bothered typing a passcode all the time) it looks plenty quick enough for my needs.

They also talk about other useful features which I'm sure Apple will implement.

Storage of all 10 fingerprints for quick launching of camera, photos, banking / payment apps etc in addition to device unlocking.

Lockdown of particular apps, files / folders etc.

I will find this very useful I reckon providing Apple deliver it in a similar fashion.

Fingerprint scanners make the leap from spy flicks to your smartphone

20. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

This is the big question. Has Apple solved the usability issues that have plagued every other attempted implementation of the tech on mobile devices. The natural use for this is unlocking the phone. It will have to work question with an extremely high level of reliability on the first try. It you have to swipe your finger 3-4 times to unlock your phone people won't use it and it's going to be a black eye to Apple.

Here's one reason why I'm not keen on it being a big feature; it'll be useless a big part of the year when I'm wearing gloves in the cold.

21. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Very good point. Sucks for the people in cold climates, like myself, but I do not wear gloves in the winter.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Would be awesome if Apple FINALLY ever allowed separate accounts, then you could register a fingerprint to each one. Sigh, maybe in 2015.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Most gloves won't allow you to unlock the phone anyway. :)

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Different fingers to unlock a different app, etc sounds awesome. It seems a bit too much for Apple to handle though IMO, Apple likes basic stuff and I doubt they would put in something so "complex" like this, think how it would confuse all the grandmothers and soccer moms.

25. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Sure they will...

Attached Files: