How fast do you rack up 200MB on LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vong, Sep 28, 2012.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

So I just got my iPhone 5. The city where I got it from has LTE. The ONLY thing I've done is turn on Maps and used its Navigation. Within a matter of minutes, I've already racked up 200mb? Is this even possible?

[​IMG]

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

It's very possible. How long did you use the maps for? Did you have Satellite view/3D settings on?

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

LTE isn't the only determining factor in how fast you'll use up 200MB. Your usage is as well. If you do nothing but transfer text it can take a while. If you stream high quality video you can burn it up very quickly. Those are just two examples at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Are you absolutely sure of that? You don't have email set up? No other background data? What you're aware of and actual usage can differ. You really need to monitor your usage and adjust accordingly but that applies to any question of data usage.

Absolutely. If you're on a 200MB quota and want to use navigation you should seriously consider a nav solution with locally stored map data so you're not wasting data quota on nav. However, I'd suggest getting much more than 200MB. Again, you really need to look at your data usage and pick a plan that is suited to your usage whether you're on LTE, HSPA+, EVDO, or whatever.

4. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

I just booted it up, and within like a minute, it said I went over already.

5. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

was your icloud syncing anything?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again its 200mb, you really expect that to last you how long?
    Obviously you didnt just turn it on and automaticly racked up 200mb.
    I used mine plenty since the 1st it came out and did a bunch of speedtests and Im only up to 284mb.

8. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Nope... I do not use iCloud for backups. I use my MBP as my backup.

No idea, my little brothers Galaxy Note experienced this as well. When he got to the city with LTE. He got a text saying hes using 60%. Couple minutes later, 90%.

We went to ATT and they said to call 611 and this is very strange. Called 611 and the lady said "LTE is VERY FAST." Yes I know it is fast, but how is it possible to rack up 200mb within a couple of minutes... Something is fishy. I've been dialing *DATA# and this is what it's been giving me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you guys are saying that this is possible. Then I'll leave LTE off, but man this is very sketchy IMO.

I've got to get going to work. So I'll look at this thread later on tonight.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'm at 199MB out of 2GB as of now.

So, Sept 21-28.

10. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

It's not the nav. Apple Maps uses vectors so it really doesn't use a lot of data. I've used navigation on my phone 3 times in the last week and I am only at 45MB used on my data.

Make sure it's not something else.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

One speed test in an area where you hit 40-60 mbps down eats up around 200 mb at a time.

12. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

I've gotten 20mb down at the LTE city.

Just did *DATA# again. This is the results.

[​IMG]

Could it be that they did 200/200MB on my old phone and just added my old data usage from my iPhone 4 (85.17 MB) to my iPhone 5 (93.59). 8MB used seems more likely than all 200mb...

13. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Checked my e-mail yesterday. This is how 'fast' I 'supposedly' racked up 200mb.

[​IMG]

Going to contact AT&T later on today.

14. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

200MB is plenty for me because of the constant supply of wifi everywhere. I downgraded from "Unlimited" plan when I had my iPhone 3G and saved hundreds of dollars since then. If you used maps that could be why, but I don't think it's normal if you only used it for a few minutes. The only time I've ever gone over was during an 8-hour car trip using Google maps.

15. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

The alerts aren't real time. I remember when I was on the 200mb plan a year ago and used maps a ton of times in one day. The next day I got back to back text alerts that I went over my usage.