How fast is TouchID vs FaceID for unlocking phone? Is it faster than Touch ID 2.0 or comparable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

So looking at the phone unlocks the device if you "stare at it". Is there any statistics or measurements comparing how fast it takes to unlock the phone using FaceID vs TouchID?

I know TouchID 1.0 is in the 6, and TouchID 2.0 is in the 7, the latter has a much faster unlock rate. Is Face ID comparable to TouchID 2.0 or is it even faster?

I hope its faster than TouchID 2.0... if it is as fast as TouchID 1.0, I feel iPhone XT or XI will probably have a FaceID 2.0 with maybe a faster dot projector to handle faster processing of FaceID... which would be awful to jump on iPhone X so soon.

2. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Really, another thread about Face ID, it's speed and so on, if you watch some of the videos on YouTube you will see how fast it is, Mark Gurman from Bloomberg even says that it works really well.

Attached Files:

3. tann macrumors 68000

It looked slower than touch ID 2 in videos, sort of closer to touch ID 1 speed. Not bad at all, but not lightning speeds.

4. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

It takes an extra motion, Swiping up now after it’s been unlocked to get to home screen. I drive a lot so resting my thumb has been great. Now with this it’s going to make texting and driving harder, dang it..lol

5. tann macrumors 68000

I know we're having fun discussing iPhones but please don't text and drive.

6. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Let me compare my 7 plus to my iPhone X...oh wait :rolleyes:

7. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Sounds like this new iPhone is encouraging more accidents to happen. :/
    Safety risk anybody? Your phone is designed to want you to look away from the road and at it to unlock...

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Shouldn't be using your phone at all when you're driving.

9. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

It’s called “Do not disturb while driving” I have had IOS 11 for the last 2 Months and I have only used it once...