How Fast (Reads and Writes) should a USB 3 Flash drive be on a MBA to run external VM

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cis4life, Aug 29, 2014.

1. cis4life macrumors regular

How fast should an external usb 3.0 flash drive be in order to run a VM from it (windows 8). (Anyone who tried it)

2. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I'm not sure exactly, but wouldn't it be better to run off an External drive instead? Then you have more space to install additional VMs.

You already have a thread on the same topic?

3. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Well sequential speeds aren't going to help you here (unless you are pausing the VM alot since it copies the contents back to ram when being unpaused) USB is not known for it's large queue depths so OS performance from these drives will be slow no matter what due to the interface. Slow is relative but booting Mac OSX or Windows nativly from a USB drive is surprising fine so doing VM work wont suffer too bad unless you have multiples on the same drive.

I use a patriot USB 3 256GB drive and I haven't got annoyed by the speed yet.

4. Redbull916 macrumors member

Redbull916

I run a few 2008 servers from an external 1tb thunderbolt drive. The cost of thunderbolt drives have come down a lot and makes more sence to go down that route rather than USB.