How fast until Apple runs out of iPhone 5C stock for pre-orders? Tonight? Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 13, 2013.

1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Just curious how long you think it will take until Apple runs out of stock for iPhone 5C pre-orders? Tonight? Tomorrow?

2. Poly macrumors 6502

3. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I won't be surprised if they don't even run out of stock .

4. TC03 macrumors 65816

This.

Last year they sold 5 million iPhones and after that it was pretty much constrained. This year, rumours for the 5S are there will be about 2-3 million.

Now, I do think the 5C will account for some extra sales, but not that much, so I suspect total demand for 5S+5c to be about 6-8 million, which would mean about 5 million 5C units. Considering the fact that the 5S last year already had 5 million and the fact that the 5C is easier to produce, I think Apple should have no problem with supplying 5 million 5C units, which I estimate to be a maximum for 5C unit sales estimates.

So nah, I don't think the 5C will sell out. 5S probably will. Even if the 5C will sell out, it will probably be just one color (I think white 16 GB).

5. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I would think that if last year's much more significant upgrade from 4S to 5 sold 5m, then this much "lesser" upgrade from 5 to 5S will have smaller sales. I guess the wild card will be how many 4S'ers are going to want to go to the 5S, and not how many 5'ers will want to upgrade. Or, another way to look at it is, how many 4S's were sold. The 4 -> 4S and 5 -> 5S scenarios are a better comparison than 4S -> 5.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

They will run out of some models. Mostly because the game plan is to always constrict the initial supply so they can run the 'preorders sold out' and the run the inevitable news stories that demand is out of control.

It's genius really. I also think that's part of the reason the S isn't on sale for preorders. Now they are guaranteed to have those people lining up at the Apple store for a minimal upgrade...again, creating the perception that Apple has the same buzz it's always had.

Never underestimate Apple's ability to market and be profitable. They have that down pat.

7. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I don't know, I never bought that argument. Its in Apple's best interests to make sure as many people as possible get the iPhone in their hands without waiting. Sales numbers are the bragging point, not simply claiming "sold out".

8. TC03 macrumors 65816

FYI, Apple isn't interested in entertaining Twitter and MacRumors, they mostly care their shareholders (since they own the company, ofcourse). Last year when the iPhone 5 was constraint during the launch, the stock slipped more than 10%.

Thinking the WTC was attacked by an invisible missile seems more realistic than thinking Apple had supply constraint on purpose.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

This. Demand for 5C won't ramp until people get one in their hands.

10. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

It works for other companies to take that strategy, but not Apple. When BlackBerry released their new phone in extremely low lumbers, the headlines were "BB's new phones sell out". If Apple did the same thing the headlines would read "Apple only sells 4 millions phone in first week". Later in the article there would be a brief mention that the phones had sold out. So yeah, good strategy for Nokia and BB, bad for Apple.

11. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I just pre ordered a red/pink one for my mom, I was surprised they were still in stock:)

12. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

Well that was quick!

Looks like the yellow 5C initial batch has already been sold out / pushed back to the 25th.

13. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. The colors kind of give a lot of people pause, because you don't know how it is truly going to look in person. I know I would wait to see it in stores before I put my hard earned money down for it.

Ditto the plastic. People may want to feel it in their hands first.

Sure, you have a return policy, but that's a hassle when you can just get it right the first time.

----------

really? I can still get one? :confused:

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I can't see them running out of stock. They are able to produce so many of the 5c. The 5s, on the other hand...

15. Kurso macrumors 6502

When the iPhone 5 came out the 4s was discounted so the discount crowd still bought 4s. Unlike other transitions some people see the 5c as a downgrade to the unit that it is replacing, the iPhone 5 (regardless of the technical spec reality).

So a larger part of the market will be buying an existing cheaper phone instead of the new cheaper phone. I think this will bite into 5c sales early on.

Having said that Apple can 'run out' of phones whenever they want. They carefully control the supply chain and distribution. Even if they had phones they could 'run out' to give the right perception of demand and cover it by reducing future production. This is a pretty typical marketing trick.

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well it was the easiest order I ever did no delays or reloading or trying over and over as is usual.