How fingerprint recognition should work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Apr 22, 2013.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Instead of having the fingerprint technology used to unlock your phone, have it used to unlock each app.

Still let the user swipe to unlock the phone. Once unlocked, you have your row of icons. Each icon, through the settings app, has the ability to read your fingerprint as you touch the icon.

So you go into settings, switch the toggle On/Off over to ON for each individual app you want fingerprinting to apply to, then you're set.

Now when you open your phone, you could have, say, iMessage and Photos set to only open up when it recognized your fingerprint, but all other apps are available to use by anyone who uses your phone. You could still lend your phone out to someone and if they press on the iMessage app, their fingerprint isn't recognized and it won't open the app. If they press on the Calendar app, it will open because the fingerprint recognition for that particular app is turned OFF in settings.

This is how it should be implemented on the phone. Not really the lock screen.

2. antman2295 macrumors 6502

This is kind of what I was thinking too. Then parents could also use it to help keep their young children out of say "work apps" and stuff like that.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

What you're essentially talking about is having multiple profiles available on the phone. You tie each app to a profile, and each profile has a fingerprint associated with it. When you "login" via fingerprint, the apps that are unlocked for that profile are available. A "guest" profile (i.e. when the fingerprint is unrecognized/not tied to a profile) would also exist with a limited number of apps available.

No need to re-ID yourself for each app this way too.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So u want the phone to be multi-user, a valid request.

But I bet 90% of ppl here u ask them, u lent phone to someone else?, they'd go, No Way Jose! Not my baby!

5. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

No, I'm not implying that the phone have multiple profiles.

The phone is yours and the phone has only one profile, yours. However, in the Settings app, you can turn on/off fingerprint recoginition for each and every app installed on the phone. This means, the apps you have it turned ON for, only you can access that app because the phone is tied to your own fingerprint and when you or someone else taps that app on the screen, the fingerprint recognition kicks in underneath that app icon and reads the fingerprint of who is tapping that icon. If the fingerprint is yours, then the app opens...if it's not your fingerprint, then the app remains closed.

All the other apps where you have the recognition turned off, then anyone can access those apps when tapped.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I understood u perfectly, we are "system" folks who can immediately see from 100 ft above. :D

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I see; so you think the fingerprint scanner is actually going to be incorporated into the touchscreen? I was thinking it would be integrated into the home button. I still see the potential in having profiles for the phone though; say you want access to all of your apps and your wife to have access to those same apps but your kid to only have access to a few games: if you could scan in everyone's fingerprints and tie them to access profiles, you would have a lot more granular control over who can do what with your phone without having to intervene every time. I guess this is a step beyond what you were looking for with simple toggles for one user/fingerprint.

----------

I just think that if you're going to introduce a security feature at the application level that a little more granularity in control would be a natural evolution rather than a toggle-system tied to one user. Android allows for different profiles with different security permissions at that level; why shouldn't Apple do it too, especially if their going to start implementing biometrics?

8. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

So like this...

Open your phone, go to Settings, select Fingerprint Recognition, there you will see a listing of ALL apps loaded on the phone, select an app (say iMessage for this example), iPhone asks you to scan your finger and then it saves it, then iPhone asks if you want to save another fingerprint, you select "yes", you have your wife then scan her finger, iPhone saves it.

Now, when you open the phone and tap iMessage, the fingerprint scanner underneath the screen glass recognized your saved fingerprint and opens iMessage for you.

Later your wife opens the phone, taps the iMessage app, phone recognized her fingerprint and opens the app.

Later that night, your child opens the phone, taps the iMessage app, phone does not open the app because their fingerprint wasn't saved in the recognition setting you set up earlier.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Yeah, that's the gist of what I was talking about. I think that would give you more flexibility in managing the security of your phone at an application level.

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Maybe in the future it can be a jailbreak tweak

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

11. carlgo macrumors 68000

My fingerprint is me and once that is a practical way to identify me on every site it should serve as my password. Sites would just open. Those who are more paranoic could still opt for the traditional typed-in password.

Note that passwords that use swear words are all taken as millions of people loath the whole password thing.

12. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Too bad touch screens don't have high enough DPI to be able to "scan" your fingerprint with accuracy. In the biometric industry, fingerprint scanners have to be 500 DPI and above to be approved for government use. Also, there is no optical sensor behind the screen to "scan" and accurately capture your fingerprint.

This is why the rumor is to have the sensor behind the home button and not the screen.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't think he necessarily meant the screen itself scanning your finger. Tap app, swipe finger (maybe given a prompt), app opens. At least, that is how I imagined it.

Anyway, the scanner would have to work really well for me to like it. Apple's new additions, as of late have let me down. Siri, especially ear one, was terrible. Apple maps, a work in progress. If something like this, which can potentially keep me from using te phone, malfunctions, that's deal breaker status now.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Don't hold your breath for multi-user profiles.

Mobile phones are characteristically single user devices.

You are in the minority, not the majority Apple is targetting.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think this would better for tablets rather than phones.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Just let it replace passwords on the most popular stuff. That way my parents can stop asking me what their passwords are. I have to make them so darn simple that they'll remember them.

Get my bank to use this as well. I have to type in my account number and my PIN. Then I have to answer a security question. Make it open app, press thumb to sensor, show account info. If it's as secure as passwords and PINs, it would be just awesome. We used hand-scanner technology at my university in the late 1990s to get into our dorms, get into the dining hall on the meal plan, and other stuff. You could literally walk around campus with nothing but your ID and your hand.

17. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Do you guys really want fingerprint verification on your phone? It would take so long to scan each time. Unless Apple pulls something "revolutionary" out of their pockets, normal fingerprint scanning takes about 5 seconds (if you get it right the first time).

18. 617aircav Suspended

Nice ideas but %100 not happening on the next iPhone.

19. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Just posting an idea for how it could work, not how I think it will. I seriously doubt that the iPhone 5S will have biometrics at all.