How Finland is solving its homeless problem

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, Jun 3, 2019.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...le-helsinkis-radical-solution-to-homelessness

Meanwhile, US public reaction is probably like, "i ain't paying for this" or "why is someone homeless? must be their fault".

2. LordVic macrumors 603

It's a tough debate though and isn't very clear as to what homeless / poor should get, and what stifles others by providing.

Trust me when i'm the first to say that I believe that a socialized program to ensure that every person is entitled to a roof over their head.

But what type of roof? how nice a roof? What size of Roof?

If I'm paying $1,000,000 to buy a condo in a brand new condo building, why should homeless people also get a 1,000,000 condo as me, who has worked? This is a current strategy that is being talked about here. For every new condo building going up, they are debating setting aside a certain number of units for affordable housing.

While good, we need far far more affordable housing. There is a problem of who is going to get what units.

On the flip side, you also don't want to put all affordable housing within 1 neighbourhood with nobody else living there. It tends to cause to socio-economic problems, so the idea of spreading out affordable housing accross the city is a good one.

There's no easy answer or magic bullet unfortunately. All I KNOW is we have to do better. Far far better. I've seen it first hand. One of my best friends growing up, disapeared for a while and ended up homeless with severe mental problems. I ended up throwing a mattress down in my basement and let him stay for a few months just trying to help him get back on his feet. Unfortunately his mental problems only got worse and after a couple trips to emerge, I ended up checking him into the hospital mental health care ward.... only to find out that they discharged him 48 hours later cause there were no beds. He's called me several times in the last year, where I"ve had to go grab him from some random street corner where he was in a panic state and take him back to the hospital. Same thing. Discharged because not enough beds. Back on the street, no roof over his head. When you have no home to go to, it makes things far far worse to get things back together. The guy couldn't even give an address for mail, which mean he couldn't even arrange for getting welfare.

3. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Singapore solved this problems many decades ago.

Government builds condos. Sells them well below market price but with conditions. One of them is that you have to have two adults living there. So a single person would buy a place but they'd have to get someone to live with them first. Problem solved.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Finland is 5.53 million.
    let's see how simply giving someone a home works out, how many "couples" will just split and be homeless to get rewarded with an apartment? you have morons here exploiting the system to the tune of millions
    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...-million-food-stamp-fraud-scheme-in-massillon
    https://abc7news.com/news/$69m-in-ca-welfare-money-spent-out-of-state/8266/

5. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Home ownership is a fair amount of work and responsibility. So you'd want at least one responsible party living there unless you plan to have the government do all of the maintenance and cleaning too.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

8. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I read about that many years ago. The problem with the voucher solution is that it isn’t a market solution. You have to add supply, not just money. But politicians like to try to solve things with money as it is far less work.

Singapore has strict enforcement of laws which is a considerable deterrent to the things people do in poor neighborhoods in the United States.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'So many empty garages built for dead [inanimate] cars, yet so many homeless' - the reaction of a German friend of mine when visiting the US. i couldn't have summed it up better.

Meanwhile, in Boston a group of homeless people was tracked for 10 years. The study concluded:

In this 10-year cohort study of 445 unsheltered homeless adults, the age-standardized all-cause mortality rate was almost 3-fold larger than that for a cohort of homeless adults primarily sleeping in shelters and nearly 10-fold larger than that for the adult population of Massachusetts; both represented significant differences.

Source: Roncarati et al (2018) link
    We could make America great again by, you know, providing sufficient shelter, medical care and compassion that people don't die in the streets.