How full is too full?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BiggAW, Aug 5, 2012.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I know on computers, you should have a decent amount of free space on drives (often 10% or 15% are quoted numbers). Does the same thing apply to the iPhone? My iPhone right now has 619MB available, with 56.8GB used. Is there anything wrong with that, except that it will bomb out when it tries to download podcasts if I don't delete some stuff?

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I can not answer that with any technical expertise specific to the phone.

But - no way would I have that little bit of "wiggle room" left. Heck, a few simple app updates, some email and a few web pages and you are in trouble. Find something to delete.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

There's nothing wrong with that. If it wasn't meant to get that full, you wouldn't be able to get it that full.

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, two totally opposite answers. I do want to get space utilization down, but I am running low on bandwidth this month, so I am keeping some extra cached Slacker stations and podcasts downloaded on Instacast "just in case".

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Are you experiencing performance issues? If so, I would consider perhaps freeing up space. If not, why worry about it?

6. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Windows needs that much free space, mostly for the paging file. iOS doesn't work that way. I've seen some performance issues when I have 0 free space, but you will not experience any of that with 619MB free.

Of course, you may have trouble updating apps, but that's it.

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. Good to know. I guess I'll keep it there for a little while then. Once I get through some podcasts and get into a balanced flow of content, as well as reduce the Slacker caching, I should have a gig or two free. At some point, I will have to cull down my iTunes library, which will be kind of painful. Either that or they will come out with a 128 GB iPhone. :D

At least I don't have to worry about videos and photos, as my camera is disabled for work.

8. irDigital0l Guest

57GB? holy ****

but unless u experience your phone slowing down, it shouldn't be a problem.

its always good to have some space for iOS updates.

but an iphone isn't a pc

9. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, good to know. I'll draw it down a bit before the iOS 6 upgrade and Jailbreak. Other than that, I'm not upgrading the OS, so that's not too much of an issue.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Holy cow, 57GB. I get needing 64GB on your phone, but using all the available space? You really need all of that on there?

As stated, you're fine unless you start to experience a slow-down. You can usually fill it to the max unlike computers.

11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's only too full when you hit 0.0MB free space!

12. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

That.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have zero technical knowledge on this issue, but knowing Apple I would assume that if the iPhone needs a certain amount of free space to work, Apple would have blocked it off and not reported it as available to you.

Pretty much everything I know about Apple makes me think that your original question is not one Apple would ever want anyone to have to ask.

14. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I wouldn't make that assumption. Apple also claims their machines don't need to be defragged, which is patently false, and as such don't include a defragger.

15. tann macrumors 68000

When I recently went on holiday using my 4S as my camera I left 10gbs/~57gb thinking it'd be enough, once I got down to under about 3-4gbs free my phone camera would be noticeably slower to open!

Eventually had to start deleting apps and videos so that I had about 5-6gbs free and then it was back to super fast!

16. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You guys are notorious for fill up 64gB on a iPhone 4S lol, I got a 4S 64GB mainly cause I never wanted to be in a situation where I needed more space and didnt have it but so far since I've owned it I have been hovering ~32GB(Would have sucked if I had 32GB(~27GB of User Accessible space).

I can understand filling up a 64GB iPad in no time due to its larger screen real-estate offering better usability/more productivity as well as loading it up with bunch of movies and what not. But its nice to know we can manage to use up all that space on a iPhone:)

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

When it impacts your ability to use it as desired. No idea what IOS itself needs but your minimal space requirements can vary based on what you're specifically using.

18. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Hmm you could try what I do, use smartplaylists to manage and rotate your itunes library on and off your phone. Very useful. ;)

19. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

For me... It is too full when you constantly have to delete photos or videos when trying to take/capture new ones... I can't stand it when I try to take a picture or video and I do not have enough storage available.

20. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I have 8.1GB on my iPad, mostly PDFs of magazines. It's a 32GB, and I bought that just to have extra space, I really only needed a 16GB. I have EVERYTHING on the iPhone, and I use it throughout the day, every day, it's my go-to device. OTOH, the iPad is just for magazines and stuff, not critical like the iPhone.

I used to have a couple gigs for that, but now that the camera is locked out for work, I don't need any space, except for screenshots, which are basically nothing. For the 99% of the population that has a camera, I would agree.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

on my MBP I have never experienced issues, even when I am down to just a couple hundred MB left. I've never had any issues on my iPhone either, but we are talking about two different kinds of space here.

I think in general you should be fine- if you are having issues with the performance of the phone, here is my suggestion-

-Do a restore, set up the phone as new, and then only install new apps as you need them. I did this a while back and I realized that roughly 60% of the apps I had installed I never used.

23. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Just keep a gig and a half free for iOS updates.

24. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not worried about that until iOS 6, and I can figure it out at that point. Probably best to restore and restore from backup at that point anyways, which will drop a few gigs at least off the storage of just cached content.