How hard is it to unlock an Iphone and who can unlock it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ROLLTIDE1, Sep 18, 2015.

1. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I am looking to get an Iphone with AT&T and to use it on Verizon . Are there legit sources that will unlock it for me and if so how much would I be looking at spending for this service . Thanks and have a great day :)

2. tottenj macrumors regular

3. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

All you have to do is pay the full price for the phone and AT&T will unlock it for you. If you haven't paid for the phone, then any unlock is not legit.

4. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's a shame that there phones are not like the Verizon ones and all unlocked

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Oh for AT&T it's easy as pie. If all of your commitments are satisfied (contracts, service plans, or pay your ETF in full), and you are in good standing (pay your bills), just go to the unlock page and fill in the form. AT&T will check to make sure you are eligible, and in a few hours you'll get an email saying it's ready for an unlock. Then to unlock you connect to iTunes, do a backup, then do a restore. It will be unlocked. I've done this twice.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

7. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am using somebody elses upgrade so it's not going to paid in full till 2 years is up

8. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Well, bumzor for youzor. Those services that would unlock AT&T phones before they were paid off were paying employees under the table to do it illegally. The employees got caught, which shut down the racket, and AT&T is now suing the services and apparently relocking the illegitimately unlocked phones.

Any service that is legit is just taking your money to do what you could do yourself.

9. jabrown93 macrumors member

You can try submitting a request online and see if they approve it despite your phone still being under contract. I have an iPhone 6 Plus with AT&T and they unlocked it today in about a minute despite the fact I still owe on my Next plan.

10. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Agreed. I was able to get both of our 6's on Next unlocked 3 mo's after I bought them. No harm in trying to request it.

11. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Hi everybody. If you preordered from At&t and you need your phone unlocked for travel, what 3D party unlock service you can recommend?

I know about att official unlock, this is about 3-d party unlock services only.

Thanks.

12. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info I guess that about says it all

13. imlynxy macrumors 65816

So far I found in the Internet:
    -unlockfusion , not a scam, but very rude with customers. I tried them last year, they couldn't unlock me, got refund.
    - swiftunlock , reliable, but slow. Have law suit with att now for unlocking at 2013.
    -attunlocker, fast, reliable, but they don't have 6S yet. Emailed them today, no answer yet, Saturday.
    - chronic unlock. Reliable, not very fast. Some people don't reccomend them.
    - unlockbase.com is number one on Trustpilot.com, but trustpilot is not reliable at all. There are rimors that they have fake reviews.
    - att.com native unlock. I reccomend it to use, but low probability to be unlocked, but free, why not to try.

14. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info :) Is it true that if I get a phone directly from Apple and not AT&T that it want be locked?

15. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

any chance the seller will take the phone back if you cannot complete an unlock?

you are talking about an iPhone 6 or 6 plus right?? you aren't supposed to be able to unlock and AT&T 5, 5s, or 5c and use it on Verizon, because Verizon wants CDMA.. the 6 and 6 plus has CDMA so this is okay

unless verizon is allowing those phones now?

16. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Wasn't aware that a GSM phone would work with Verizon...

17. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I'm expecting unlocked phone directly from Apple. I also ordered from Att, if I can unlock them, I return "Apple's" order. I need unlocked version, I travel a lot.

18. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the gsm iPhone 6 and 6 plus would work., because it is also cdma. if the original poster person was referring to this model then he would be fine unlocking the AT&T phone and bringing it to verizon

19. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I am on T-mobile, but I always buy unlocked phones from Apple directly. It is always unlocked. Even if it is paid off fully T-mobile has a policy it should be on the network for 60 days etc. I had problems for my old Samsung. Since I moved to iPhones, my problem went away. Unlike Apple, Samsung never sold unlocked phones direct to customers.

20. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you buy an iPhone from AT&T even if its full price, it will be carrier locked. you will have to submit to at&ts rules about getting an unlock. offhand, this requires you to be a customer for 60 days prior to you buying the iPhone, or having the iPhone on AT&Ts network for 60 days.

if you are a go phone person then you would need 6 months

21. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Last year I ordered iPhone Att full price from Att, was locked, returned it. They wanted 35 dollars for restocking. Opened CC disputed due to lack of information was provided(Att CS told me that it fully unlocked in their store). Got my 35 dollars back. After that I got full price from Apple and it was unlocked. Still using it on Att, t-mo, t-mo Europe, Fido Canada and 5 more different networks. I think it is like gambling with Att iPhone ordered from Apple. If I get them locked I send them back. How is going to be a winner? ... nobody :) They want to play lock-unlock, I play buy-return.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can pay swiftunlocks but its not cheap.
    Currently they charge $50 for their service.

23. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Swiftunlock I think is in the past, just read that Att has a law suit against them for 2013 trojan in their computer for remote unlock. Also they are slow sometimes.

24. ROLLTIDE1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info sir and thanks for all of your help in the past you are one of my favorite members of this site

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome bud.
    Hit me up anytime. I'm here to help out.