How hard will you spike the ball?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Oct 6, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If your side wins the election?

I remember in 2012 the notion of spiking the ball felt rude and unnecessary. But this time, Trump's behavior makes me feel just the opposite, as if there is a need to shame and ridicule him if only to dissuade someone else from doing the same thing in the future.

I'm sure Hillary haters feel similarly.

So when the election is finally over, and your side wins, are you going to be polite and wish the other side well? Or are you going to go all up in their grill?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My "side" isn't being represented at all in this election, so there will be no celebrating on my end. Instead when Hillary wins (god willing) I'll be watching her set up her administration with an eagle eye and continuing to point out any corporatist/neoliberal/war provoking moves she's going to make.

That said, people need to understand that the Democrats are going to get crushed in the mid terms, the anger from the Trump side isn't going to go away and will likely become even more unhinged as both parties continue to ignore the policy decisions that have made life for them absolute hell to begin with. Neoliberalism needs to be thoroughly rebuked and cast away before any of this animosity gets better. It's dangerous to sit pretty thinking that these forces are going to fade away into the night.

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

It would be incredibly naive to believe that.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We have two **** choices, I wouldn't be all "Gronked" for either of them.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's how far too many people think these things work, like its a game that ends after the swearing in and just resets to a neutral state.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

my "side" has a pot smoker who does not know a freaking thing about Aleppo and thinks his ignorance is a + , yayyyyy :(

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not quite this hard.
    [​IMG]
    Still I'll enjoy the devastation.
    [​IMG]

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm voting for Stein so my chosen team isn't going to win but I will enjoy watching the reactions.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

We've all lost already in this election. Trump will get more than 20% of the vote for sure-- probably above 40%. That means that far more than the "natural" number of ultra-authoritarian voters will have voted for him based on his stirring up anger, hatred, and resentment in, e.g., (WASP) Christian and evangelical voters, in white working class people in greater Appalachia, etc. People who should know that Trump represents neither their economic interest nor their real values. But, people who are being blinded by hatred. We've all lost already.

We need to spend the next four years -- make that forty years, repairing the social fabric and rebuilding trust.

11. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I'm a little torn on this one, on one hand Trump has asked for it at every turn, on the other he's been relentlessly beaten in the media. Of course this is what happens during a national campaign as you undergo being scrutinized with a find tooth comb, if you have any skeletons they're going to come out.

In Hillary's case the blow has less of an impact because she's already been vetted over and over, for Trump it's like an avalanche because he's never had to be transparent. In either case I'm sure the loser will be happy it's over, I don't envy the rigors of a presidential campaign that one must go through.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

now that is funny, in conservative boards those happen to be the groups that oppose him for various reasons.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Well, if we're to unite as a country then we oughtn't act too childish? Or is it "unite, as long as everyone thinks the same way and the same way doesn't involve the benefit of all Americans since that's what uniting should be about"?

Most people should be getting sick of this crap in the first place.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I would rent a pile driver and put that ball 6 feet in the ground if Gary "What is Aleppo?" Johnson wins.:cool::cool::cool:

Just goes to show how much I oppose Clinton and Trump.

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Oh, the last I'd seen, I don't think it's as much an actual 270+ victory - which means Paul Ryan gets to step in and I doubt he would put in Hillary or Trump?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not at all. I'll just be happy when the election is over.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll happily take the 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

21. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Why is it so hard for Hillary supporters to simply acknowledge that some people are voting for Trump simply because we don't like her. I don't think he would be a great President, but she has too much baggage and quite frankly I, like 65% of the country, simply don't trust her.

We have been electing establishment candidates for decades. Maybe we do need to try something different. Trump would not have been my first, second or third choice, but something has to change in Washington. Maybe this is a first step.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hmmmm, tough question. I usually am not one for such distasteful displays, but the Hillary haters on both the far right AND far left have been so over the top and off the chart with their comments this year that I don't think I'll be holding back. Particularly on the Trump supporters who I really do think display some deplorable characteristics sad to say.

I don't think anyone thinks that. However I have a plan to address that. Sending those types on a one way trips to Mars, which they can rename to Deplorable. :D

23. samcraig macrumors P6

I hear you. I just think it's futile to vote for someone you don't think would make a great president. Kind of scary/dangerous to me. But to each their own.

I'm actually more (maybe... maybe not) interested in Congress.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Zero things have changed in Washington in your or my lifetime. I don't like HRC and won't vote for her but that doesn't mean I'm going to validate Trump either.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Because in life you don't say things like "you know I really don't like that shoplifter so let me go hang out with the Mafia crime lord instead." Or, when hiring for a job within your company say "that women with the experienced resume made some mistakes in her last job, so let's hire this guy with no qualifications, a sketchy resume, and bad temperament instead."

Trump has race baited, bullied and tweet shamed his way to the top. That's not the kind of thing that should be rewarded with the highest office in the land simply because you don't like the other person. It sets a very bad tone. Kids would get kicked out of school for some of the things he has said, and yet you want to make him a role model for childern? A guy who has said he wants to punch people in the nose and see them carried out on stretchers? Does that sound presidential?

People voting for Trump should ask themselves a question: why publication after publication are tossing aside policies over a century old and endorsing a different party candidate than they normally do or even endorsing for the first time ever? Trump represents a clear and present danger that they recognize, but that far too many people are ignoring or even celebrating. And I don't say that as a partisan democrat or huge Hillary fan. I would be saying the same about him no matter what party he was running under. A danger is still a danger. Partisan politics doesn't change that.