How has Apple Watch activity monitor changed your life?

BobbyJet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
I sure this has been put out somewhere, didn't see it. I have had apple watch for a few years, just updated to 4. I didn't really pay that much attention to my rings on the watch, when i was active for a day, and closed all, yay! but no big deal.

Then a friend got one, a fitness buff. We start to share activity and enter into the 7 day competition. I now started to pay attention to my activity all day long. I am an active person, but dont have time to go to the gym. But now that i started to watch my activity, me and my wife, also a watch 4 user, started to feel very motivated to not only close our rings everyday, but achieve the maximum number of points in the competition with other friends that are Awatch wearers.

This motivation and awareness has changed our lives. We are so much more active and take advantage of every chance to walk, or do some sport. We are in our 50s and we feel much better physically. in fact, my daily move goal was 500, but competing against a gym goer, i upped to 1000 and almost never miss it. In fact the other day got 2000. Just having a way of measuring something is very motivating, you feel like you are accomplishing something important.

That has been my experience due to my AW

Complex757

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2016
Working in IT in front of a computer it reminds me to not just be active after work, but while at work also. I try to get up and walk around more often or at least stand up. You often forget how many hours you end up sitting down without getting up.

Last edited:

dgreening

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I will agree with you about being motivated by the activity rings. My friends don't have an Apple Watch but I am a very competitive person and I try to push my self to make sure I close the rings daily. Then once I hit a full month and received the monthly award that motivated me to get the next month. I will make sure I do something to complete the rings so I don't break the streak. I will say I had a bad day last year when I lost my data when I switched phones and upgraded to an AW4. I had almost 300 consecutive days and multiple awards but decided not to let that stop me and I started another streak. So back to your question - yes, it changed my life. I also am in my 50's and feel so much better than in my 40's.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I was using a few different Garmin vivos before getting my Apple Watch, so Apple's activity monitor has not changed my life. Since I was running even before having an all day tracker on me, I wouldn't even say that the Garmins changed my life. They have made me more aware of just how much (or little) I move, but they haven't been life changing.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
Working in a IT in front of a computer it reminds me to not just be active after work, but while at work also. I try to get up and walk around more often or at least stand up. You often forget how many hours you end up sitting down without getting up.
I was going to say the exact same thing. I had no idea how long the periods were where I was sitting without getting up at work. I actually thought the watch was malfunctioning at first.

I also now share my activity with loved ones and we all compete/encourage each other.

flakk-jakket

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2019
AZ
I'm fat and gross (the prefect combo) and seeing how many steps i walk in a day motivates me to walk more.

I long to be not fat (though still gross)

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I had started working out again in December before I got my watch about 3 weeks ago. Since I purchased it, I'm motivated to go the the gym more and try and close my rings daily even if I can’t make it to the gym. I used to work out all the time but have really slacked off in recent years. I too am in my 50's and knew I needed to be more active. I'm now seeing results and feeling better both mentally and physically.

Last edited:

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Yes it’s changed my life.

I go to the gym 5 days a week because the more I do the more I get rewarded. For example, I just purchased an Apple Watch 4 44mm for £219. Now if I get max points (160) every month I pay nothing else for the watch but you pay a monthly fee based on your points if it’s less than max. This is because of a program over here in the UK where by if you purchase life or health insurance by a certain company you get rewarded for being active.

I get half price gym membership, free cinema tickets, free Amazon Prime, 40% of BA flights, free starbucks, the list goes on all dependant on how active I am.

So yes, it’s changed my life and I pay very close attention to my daily activity but it does not control your life.

This screen shot is an example of the 40mm but I went for the 44mm so it was a touch more expensive but the monthly points system is the same.

Attachments