How has your new rMB affected the usage of all your computers/smartphones/tablets?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bounou, May 8, 2015.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

So I got a bit of bad news today, not getting my new rMB until Monday which really sucks since I was hoping to get it this weekend and get to know it better.

At this point my biggest unanswered question for this thing is how it will fit in with all my other devices. Very curious to see how I actually end up using this thing.

I stopped carrying my iPad with me everywhere I go when I got the 6+, just did not feel like the iPad gave me that much more use over the iPhone that was worth carrying around everywhere but I have a feeling the rMB might be light enough to be something I carry with me everywhere I go and useful enough to be worth doing.

What about the rest of you? Is it different from a 13" rMB? A MBA? Have you had it long enough to have enough time get a definitive opinion yet?

2. saifrc macrumors member

I have a 6, and not a 6+, partly to help define the separation more. I personally would have preferred a smaller phone, but the 6 and 6+ are what Apple gave us...

I use my iPad Air 2 a little bit less than I used to, now that I have my rMB, but it's still my reading companion everywhere: on the train, in bed, in the bathroom, etc.

There's still a good amount of separation between how I use my devices still, because I'm using the rMB for a lot of things that I wouldn't have been able to do with my iPad. My rMB is really replacing my 2008 MBP 15", which used to sit on the floor gathering dust, except for the occasional bout of photo editing/uploading, video transcoding, and torrent downloading. (Honestly, I spent most of my time in front of my work laptop, assigned by my company, on which I can't run personal stuff.)

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I use my iPhone and iPad less now. I had already used the iPad very infrequently due to upgrading to the 6 Plus. Now I hardly ever use it. The Retina Macbookk replaced an early-2008 MacBook which couldn't use Mavericks and thus couldn't use handoff. Now that I am using Mavericks, I'm making phone calls and sending texts from my MacBook almost as much if not more than my iPhone. I would say the MacBook is my most used device now.

4. jeffg819 macrumors regular

For me the addition of a rMB is part of a shift in my computer makeup.

I still predominantly use the iPad for reading (books, magazines, Zite).

The 2013 rMBP is going to be matched with a 24" or 27" 4k display and become the new "desktop" in the house. The current 27" 2011 iMac is headed to a family member.

Finally, the rMB is now the travel machine (which includes taking it to work each day since my work PC is locked down). By far this little machine is the most comfortable and capable (in the context of its size) that I've ever owned. I really think Apple is once again headed down a good road with this design.

And that's the way it will stay for a long time or until Apple's next product launch...

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Did not really change my iPhone 6 plus usage but I sold my iPad Air 2

6. deleder, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

deleder macrumors member

I see no reason to have an iPad when we have big phones like iPhone 6 and 6+. One don't need an iPad with an iPhone 6/6+ and the new ultra slim Macbook. And hey, you actually have an OS you can use to be productive on, and you have a keyboard in contrary to the iPad. iPads are only worth when you're lying in a hammock.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

For me an iPad and laptop are two different thing with tw different purposes. iPads are for recreational use and has near replaced my desktops and laptops for home recreational use. I have two 27" iMacs that are for making a living, one at home and one at office. My laptop, a loaded 2014 MBAir is an extension on my desktops for use in the field.

None of these device can replace the other. Each has its place.