How have your political views affected your relationships with others this year?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Oct 6, 2012.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Just curious about this...

Outside of internet chatrooms and forums, (that is, in the real world) I am actually rather reserved when it comes to discussing politics. On the surface, one would even think I am more of a left leaning liberal because of some of my interests views (musician, dope smoker at times, support gay marriage, pro-environment), but as one delves deeper they meet the more conservative, gun-nut, stuanch defender of the 2nd amendment, small gov't person.

Some of this comes out on Facebook also...not often, perhaps once a week I will post something in favor Romney, the second amendment, or something negative about Obama. Nothing that is ever highly offensive either. I really do keep it low key.

End result? Several of my left leaning friends acquaintances who have found out my political leanings have either unfriended me, or are no longer on speaking terms with me, after heaping a boatload of insults on me. Funny thing is, ALL of these people post anti-Romney things on almost a daily basis.

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I have the opposite. I have conservative-leaning, affluent clients and friends I try to avoid offending, while some of them post insane birther-esque rants and propaganda on their pages. One of my FB friends is a staunch conservative who ran for governor a few years back.

I have yet to unfriend or be unfriended, but there are some very attractive female friends I realize I dodged a bullet with, every time they make a political post.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is one reason I don't do Facebook.

My wife does, however, and she has one relative who seems to be there solely to post anti-left stuff. Not just anti-Obama, anti-left. My daughter has unfriended this guy, and my wife will probably end up doing the same.

I don't agree with putting out political stuff, of any stripe, in mixed company. I freely discuss politics with like-minded relatives and friends, but we get enough of this crap on TV. I don't want somebody I disagree with foisting their opinions on me.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've found that I can't tolerate anyone who would vote for Romney.

The reasons:

1. He is on the side of the religious zealots and keeps moving toward them.
    2. Anti gay rights.
    3. Wishes to continue the policies that got us in the current mess we're in.
    4. Wants to dismantle health care and replace it with nothing.
    5. Wants to destroy national education standards.

Anyone who would vote for this guy is clearly not looking close enough at him, and thinks that my civil rights take a back seat to what again? "Fiscal responsibility"? His past is enough to tell anyone that is not Romney. I can't in good conscience be friends with someone who thinks I deserve fewer rights than they do. And if you vote for Romney, that's exactly what you're saying.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nope.

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

so i guess that means we won't be hanging out this weekend??? ;)

Personally, I try not to let politics pick my friends...

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Our political views are based on the side of the bed we sleep on.

We do discuss who and why we are voting for. If there is a particular reason she is voting for a candidate I will usually vote for that candidate and put my views aside.
    Except when it came to Obama. At least we definitely agree on two candidates this coming election.

One thing I do not do is place political views over relationships/friendships.
    All I ask is if someone wants to share their views is to be fair and allow me to share mine.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- we won't, as you obviously have a low opinion of people like me. I don't need friends who would sacrifice my rights for...what is it again? Those people obviously are not my friends.

Let me ask you this- would you vote for someone who favored a constitutional amendment to ban blacks and whites from marrying? If not, why are our rights expendable to you?

9. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

of course i wouldnt, and dont have a low opinion of people "like you"...I have good friends that are homosexual.

At the same time however, I need to think of the rights that are of importance to me, namely second amendment related issues.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To a degree.

If I'm just hanging around with someone to throw darts and drink beer, that's one thing. But if it were a deep and personal relationship, then a common sense of morality, humanity and life would be important to that relationship.

I'm not going to be your friend simply because we share political beliefs. But on the other hand, I doubt we'd be really close friends if we did not.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Not that anyone cares - seeing as I am pretty much viewed as Ursula the sea hag on this forum, but what the hell, I'll stick around on the politics board until the election's up - if only to provide entertainment or aggravation.

I have a Facebook page on which I post zero updates unless it is extremely important (in other words, about once a year), but keep it in case someone would like to contact me- and so I can snoop once in a while for my entertainment at people's various daily end-of-the-world scenarios.

It seems to me that welfare is the big talking point for my Facebook friends. These are people I never would have guessed would become vocal about something like that. One person, in particular, posted a daily anti-Obama welfare piece. After about a week of that, I had enough and simply unfriended and blocked him. Sorry- I don't play that game. Have any opinion you want, but I will not be around to see your daily briefing on food stamps and Wick. What eats me up is that no one has any idea what kind of situation anyone on welfare is in and why they are on it. To sit up in your ivory suburban tower and target disadvantaged people because you are "better than them" and they are "living off of your money" is total bull. Try attacking up on the social ladder instead of down - and remember that you were born into a situation of luck if you never needed any government assistance and that that luck might run out one day, so never say never.

Anyway, other than people who are constantly vocal - liberal or conservative - and never give it a break, I have no problem with anyone with any political persuasion. It's the ones who just won't shut up about it that get on my last nerve. Intimate relationships, however, are another matter. I could not have one if the other person is too far off from my outlook. Been there, done that.

12. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

It's not only the Romney supporters I can't stand to be around... but now also those left-over, bitter Ron Paul fanatics, who yell in my ear about gold standards, right to guns, and how the government is unconstitutional.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So you're going to vote for the guy who signed an "assault" weapons ban and not the guy who has done nothing on guns other tan to relax regulations. :confused:

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Has Obama threatened your right to own a gun? Are you serious with this?

15. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

You think you're confused? Think how I must feel...

As a gun owner, I am not happy about the choices I am faced with this election.
    With Obama, I feel that more GC in his second term is a given especially since he is a lame duck candidate. This is based on his comments related to guns, and also by certain actions that the Justice dept. under Holder has taken..

With Romney, I think it is more of a "maybe", though I have hopes that the republican party will keep him in check.

16. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Obama (via the JD) has enacted some new rules for the border state that affect peoples ability to buy guns. This chiefly has to do with a new requirement to report multiple firearm purchases within a 7 day period. There is another more recent rule enacted that makes it easier to confiscate the weapons of those suspected of "substance abuse" without the benefit of due process. Furthermore, from what I can tell it does not clearly define what their definition of substance abuse is.

Most gun owners who take the second amendment seriously view these as a foreshadowing of things to come, and also think that Obama has merely been biding his time with respect to GC during his first term, knowing that any drastic legislation that occurs with respect to guns will doom his chances for a second term (as happened to many democrats when the original AWB was passed).

All one has to do is look at Obamas historical comments with regards to GC to be convinced that he is as anti-gun/anti-second amendment as they come. When I get a chance to I will provide references to what I am talking about.

Like I said before, with Romney GC is a "maybe" with Obama most of us gun owners are convinced that it is a given. Also, FWIW, the homosexual friends I referred to earlier I know through my involvement with the shooting sports, and they are voting for Romney...

I am respectful and sympathetic towards your rights Lee, as I hope you are towards mine. It is my feeling that within the next decade, two decades at most all this silliness about who marries whom will be a thing of the past. However, with respect to GC, all it takes is another 4 years of an Obama presidency where he does not need to be concerned about reelection, and also the likelihood that he will appoint two more far left supreme court justices to ensure gun rights are either severely restricted or lost forever.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:(

Not by me.

I've only recently started to note your presence. But I'm not trying to ignore your posts, I just haven't read anything I've wanted to comment on yet.

But please, stick around and don't be discouraged.

18. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Cause Obama is hard pushing those gun laws for sure.

19. leekohler, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Find me these sources please. In other news:

http://decoded.nationaljournal.com/2012/04/which-antigun-president-is-the.php

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-vs-romney-gun-control-2012-9

Please don't pass the crack pipe. I don't want what you're smoking. And it's clear you don't know me, I'm very pro gun ownership. BUT- I'm also VERY pro regulation. I think it's good for people to report multiple gun purchases. But hey, that's just me.

BTW, you're not sympathetic to my rights at all. You're more concerned with some bizarre conspiracy theory that Obama is going to send the ATF to your house to get your guns. Not gonna happen, man. Not in your wildest wacky nightmares. I never figured you for the tin foil hat type, but there you go.

20. iJohnHenry, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fear-mongering might be a new concept for our pistol-packin' friend. :)

An example, within the Wiki article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_mongering

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's just crazy to me. Here we have Romney- who has promised in writing and repeatedly stated that he will strip gay people of their rights. Then we have Obama, who has signed legislation expanding gun rights and said one tiny little thing about assault weapons, and suddenly Obama wants to come for everyone's guns. Wow.

I can't even fathom what you have to do to make yourself believe that load of garbage.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So wait...you wouldn't vote for a candidate who would ban interracial marriages, but you will vote for someone who bans gay ones? Is that correct? My rights should be no more expendable then the interracial couples are.

Think how a gay person feels. You are basing your decision on a mythical loss of gun rights that aren't even on the table (and never will be), while ignoring the very real loss of rights that the Republican party presents to gays.

Then they are dumb and looking out for a mythical self interest issue while ignoring the real threat to their liberty and personal freedom.

Lost forever? Seriously? You seriously think that all the guns are going to be rounded up and taken away from you? That will never happen. Guns are too engrained in our culture and legally protected. There isn't going to be enough states to repeal the second amendment. Not in your lifetime and doubtfully ever. Again it is too engrained in our culture and there are too many weapons out there. For better or worse guns will always be with us and they are here to stay.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The rights of a maniac to blow-away a theatre full of people shall not be infringed. <double :rolleyes:>

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's making excuses. He knows damn well his guns aren't gonna get taken away. It's an excuse at this point to justify throwing us under the bus.

Hey glocke, just a suggestion- this just might be why you're getting defriended.

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have a personal policy. I _never_ discuss politics or religion. There's so many other fascinating topics, that by skipping those two, the conversations are mutually enjoyable, often educational, and never boring or one sided.

It's as simple as that. :)