Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So, I figure since I have a raw computing monster that I don't have maxed out that I would help science by folding@home with it as well as my PS3.
I just looked today & my cores are running at 130-157 degrees.
Is this normal?
As soon as I shut it down the temps go down to 95-115 range.
I am willing to use the Macpro to help science as long as it doesn't kill my machine.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
So, I figure since I have a raw computing monster that I don't have maxed out that I would help science by folding@home with it as well as my PS3.
I just looked today & my cores are running at 130-157 degrees.
Is this normal?
As soon as I shut it down the temps go down to 95-115 range.
I am willing to use the Macpro to help science as long as it doesn't kill my machine.
The 130-157 range does sound a touch high to me, with my 3.0Ghz (pre 2008) Mac Pro even with fairly significant loads I haven't seen anything past 50 degrees Celsius (that's 122 degrees Fahrenheit). The difference could be that we have different chip-sets, and I'm not quite sure of the thermal capacity of either chip... regardless I would probably restrict the folding to keep temps down.

I also tried searching for any operating temperature guidelines at Intel... ugh too much information and not enough detail!

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
How would one go about restricting the folding at home activity to relieve the temps, If I can't resolve the problem, I won't take a chance of killing a core or more due to heat issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.