How I Got a Brand New 2011 21.5" iMac for < $900 (I Think...)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JesseW6889, Jul 2, 2011.

1. JesseW6889, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I'm going to leave all details in, whether or not they actually effect the story, so that I don't have to redo the math! I'm still a little confused how this all worked out, but I think I came out ahead. Any comments would be appreciated if I missed something! Everything took place at 2 separate Apple Stores in Tampa, Florida.

Initially, I purchased the base 27" iMac along with a HD HomeRun Tv Tuner. In this purchase, I swapped out the Magic Mouse with the Trackpad, which was reflected on my receipt as a ($69.00) Magic Mouse deduction, and a $69.00 Trackpad purchase. The combined total, after student discount and taxes was $1896.48.

I returned the 27" iMac and the HD HomeRun and got a base 21.5", which resulted in a refund of ($620.55) and was told that, since they incorrectly deducted the Magic Mouse, that I could keep both the Trackpad (for the iMac I had just retuned) and the Magic Mouse that was coming with the new one.

Initially, I thought I was getting a great deal, (A FREE Trackpad!), but after doing the math, I realized, I had been charged for it.

I went back to the desk, and spoke with the guy who checked me out initially, and told him that I was in fact having to pay the extra and I'd rather just return it for the refund. At this point, he realized they had not applied the student discount on the new 21.5 iMac (normally $50 on the base model) so he applied that also. I ended up getting a refund of an additional ($180.83) AND still got to keep both the Trackpad and Magic Mouse!

I figure, since I actually prefer a 3rd party mouse better than the trackpad or magic mouse, I'm going to sell both as well as the $100 gift card. If I sold the keyboard also, I could get it down to approximately $800!

2. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Didn't the HomeRun Tv Tuner represent a value as well?

Why did you return the 27 inch?

3. JesseW6889 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, It was part of the first $600 return. I returned the 27" because I wanted to... i.e. because my girlfriend wanted me to!

Honestly, using the 21.5 after the 27 is depressing :/

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Why are you keeping it then? Save a bit longer and get the 27, and while you're at it, tell your girlfriend that as long as she is just that, i.e. not your wife, that if you want a 27" iMac, you buy it!

Dayyyyuuum.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

And they say romance is dead ;)