How I got the fully loaded (MSRP $2,199) 13" MacBook Air for $1,499!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by brig2221, Jun 15, 2012.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I first want to start off by saying everything I am about ready to tell you is 100% true, no embellishing at all.

I made up my mind late last night that I was going to pull the trigger on a new 2012 13" MacBook today, just wasn't sure which configuration I wanted. I was vascillating between the maxed out version (available at retail), or the near maxed out version (everything maxed but the SSD).

I work in downtown Dallas, and called the Knox-Henderson Apple store (very close to the office) right at 8am to confirm if they had any of the next 13" MacBook Airs (fully loaded) in stock, which they did.

I then proceed to tool around the internet (mainly this site), vascillating back and forth like the pansy I am between getting the maxed out model or not. I finally settle (or so I thought) on getting the almost maxed out version for $1,699 (everything upgraded except the SSD), which I had to order online. I hit the submit button, and I am a happy man. Well, I then proceed to read more and more online, and wouldn't you know it, by 11am I am now convinced I want the fully maxed out version. I quickly log back into the Apple website and successfully cancel my order, and then hurredly walk (ok, I damn near sprinted) to the parking garage to drive over to the Apple store.

I show up at the Apple store a few minutes later, and ask for a brand new 13" Macbook Air, fully loaded. To my relief, they tell me they have it in stock, and that it will be brought up front shortly. Here is where things get interesting....

I planned on paying with cash and credit card. I had $700 in cash, and the rest was going on my credit card. As I give the person helping me the $700 in cash, I start gabbing away (why I don't know) about why I get $50 bills (which is what I had) instead of $100 bills, as these days everyone seems to spend in inordinate amount of time scrutinizing $100 bills (to make sure they aren't fakes I presume, yeah, I'm smart).

Anyhow, he counts the $700 I gave him, and then asks for my credit card for the rest, which I give him. At the end, he shows me my email address and asks me if it's okay they email me my receipt to that address, which I noddingly approve. Before I leave, I ask him out of curiousity how much was put on my credit card. He tells me $800 or thereabouts. I look at him funny, and then say to myself, I'm not going to pester this guy with questions, the receipt will be sitting on my iPhone in the next 30 seconds.

I proceed to walk out the door and down the street to my car. I get in, start the car, and then pull my phone out to check the receipt before I pull away. Much to my shock, the receipt shows that my credit card was only charged for $800 and something dollars, and shows that I put down $1,400 in cash (instead of the actual $700 I gave him).

So there I am sitting in my car as it dawns on me, I finally got lucky for once in my stinking life, I was the one that caught the break, and got a brand new $2,200 laptop for $1,500, free and clear.

Unfortunately, I have something that I believe is often referred to as a conscience, and it made it's voice heard right away. Long story short, after the initial 30 seconds of euphoria wore off, I drug my a$$ back into the store, found the sales person that helped me, and rectified the situation.

Why do I tell this story? Well, first off, I think it's a pretty cool story with some entertainment value in and of itself. Second, we often hear similar stories from other on the Internet and proudly boast what we would or would not do, but never really know for sure as the situation never presents itself. Well, the situation presented itself to me today, and I have to tell you, it was a lot harder than I thought to do the right thing.

I'm glad I did the right thing, and I have no regrets as I know it was the right thing to do, but being 100% truthfull with myself, it was a much harder decision than I thought it would have been.

2. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I was going to get mad and call you a real classy guy, but I read the whole thing and glad you mad the right decision. People who don't, and then brag about it on the internet are pathetic.

4. Chriscollins macrumors newbie

5. ayres macrumors regular

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

i was about to say, that is not lucky it is stealing. They probably would have called you thought to fix the mistake. You did the right thing though :)

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

So then he charged you the correct amount after?

Would have been cool if he then gave you the student discount or something for saving his ass. Not sure if he's tied to a cashier till at the end of his shift, but it would have sucked for him to come up $700 short that day.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

$700 short and you are definitely fired

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah I would think so, though like I said. If I was the person who made that mistake, I would have found a way to give you a discount for "saving my ass". Student or government or something.

10. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

That definitely crossed my mind after those first thirty seconds wore off. Regardless of that fact, it still was the right thing to do to pay for the full amount, but also keeping in mind that he would have most likely been fired definitely cemented the issue for me.

----------

Yeah, I walked back in and had to wait a good 2-3 minutes to even talk to him as he already had someone new he was helping. I didn't want to tell someone else and get him in trouble, so I waited for him.

He was glad that I came back and thanked me, but in all honestly, he wasn't as happy or thankful as I thought he would have been. No big deal, just was surprising.

Anyhow, it took a good 15 minutes to get it sorted out, and he had to talk to his manager (and explain the situation I presume) before things could get settled correctly. In the end, he brought the $700 back out from the cashier, credited me back the original amount they put on my card, and then re-ran it for the amount that it should have been charged, which was $1,500 and change.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Well, you did the right thing. It's hard to do these days. Be careful now. You might have $700 + $1,500 pending on your card and might take a few days for the $700 to go away.

12. dona83 macrumors regular

$100 App Store card would've been nice. :) Good for you though, karma will reward you in some way.

13. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention that one of the positive things he did (from my perspective) during the original checkout process was ask me where I worked, which I took as idle chit chat. I told him who I worked for (large company), and he tells me that I qualified for a 6% discount so long as I had my badge, which I did.

6% off $2,199 was a savings of almost $132, I couldn't believe it. Had no idea Apple had corporate discounts available. Keep in mind this was before I came back to rectify the situation, and was not done as a couertesy.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

15. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, that is the case exactly, which he told me about, but it wasn't a big deal as I'm nowhere near my limit, and my billing period ends on the first week of the month, so it will have had plenty of time to clear by the time this month's statement get's generated.

He offered to do some weird scenario through a gift card. At that point, I had been in there a good 10 minutes already and was looking to just get out of there, so I didn't care.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I applaud you op:)

One's integrity should not have a price

17. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Well done! Having a conscience sucks, but it'll allow you to sleep well tonight and the salesperson doesn't get fired over an honest mistake. Win-win!

David

18. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Apple would have easily discovered the Error and who the purchaser was so you would have been caught had you decided not to report the error.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Hundreds of purchases throughout the day, how would they know? All they know is $700 cash is missing from the drawer and think it could have come from one or many customers.

20. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

When you say "rectified the situation" do you mean "returned for $2,200 cash?"

Kidding... you did the right thing... and I don't mean that in a mystic way. I just mean that when no one else is watching, you are the same person.

21. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

Nice to read a story about personal integrity!

22. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

if your story is the truth, you are a good man.

In this day and age, many people would most likely just run off with it.

23. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I'm betting he was thinking "^%^&%$@#!(*#&!(@*#& I'm getting fired I'm so screwed!" and was way stressed. After the adrenaline wore off, I bet he was extremely happy and thankful!

(Not that I've been in that PARTICULAR situation before, but others close enough to it I can empathize with the guy.)

24. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

I showed back up probably no more than 5-6 minutes after I had left, and then had to wait another 3-5 minutes for him to free up. I can tell you by his reaction (both verbal and non-verbal) that he had NO idea what was going on. I had to explain the scenario a full two times before he got it.

I don't think the big *#&!(@*#& I would have got fired epiphany happened to him until well after I had already left.

As I noted earlier in the thread, he was a nice guy and did a good job of figuring out that I had eligibility for a 6% discount that I had no clue I was eligible for. It would have been an absolute shame if he would have been held to account and lost his job for it. No amount of saved money could be worth it knowing it could have that kind of outcome for someone else.

25. iHorta macrumors newbie