How I just scored a free AT&T Microcell, and how you (probably) can too

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mellofello808, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mellofello808 macrumors member

For the past few days I have been reading about certain "premium customers" receiving letters from AT&T containing certificates for free microcells. They seem to be unsolicited and appeared to be sent out at random.

Our immediate family has 2 family plans with 6 iphones, and 2 dumb phones so we are as premium as it gets. Most of us live in Hawaii where we get perfect reception, but our folks live in bumf@#$ Egypt Pennsylvania where you get down and thank the good lord if you have half a bar of edge. What is interesting about this interaction I had with AT&T is that I got them to define what "premium customer" means.

According to the rep I spoke to. AT&T has received some sort of grant, or endowment for a "billion dollars" to push phone service into areas where it is a diminishing return to erect a tower.

So a premium customer is someone who lives in a zipcode that has spots where there is no coverage, and it is not viable to place a tower. I follow Giz, and Engadget religiously, and I am employed in the communication industry, but I have not yet heard anything about this initiative.

It could just be a rep blowing smoke, but if they are getting ready to flood the country with $1,000,000,000 worth of microcells it could be major. That could forever change communication for all those flyover states. I know that this will make a huge difference for my parents, who can now reduce their $75 per month landline bill to a bear minimum.

Here are the steps I took to get the free microcell.

Call customer service and get on the reps good side. A little buttering up is required but once a CSR likes you they are likely to help you.

Give a sob story about the zero bars that you get at your home, and then insinuate that you may consider a competitors service.

Explain that you know about the promotion. They now know about it as well. When they ask where you heard about it tell them that you have read the blogs and heard reports from people receiving the letters.

Give them a rural zip code. Only certain zip codes qualify for microcell. I used my parents zip code 18346. You need to make sure you qualify as a premium customer. There was no verification of address necessary for me.

They will attempt to sell you on $50 microcell if you sign for unlimited minutes but with a little persistence I got them to credit my account $150, and sent my parents down to the store to pick one up. Boom 5 bars in their living room. For the first time ever.

YMMV but the ease with which I got them to give the credit leads me to believe that it should not be hard for others to do the same.

Everybody with bad reception at home should try this. We need to light a fire under the Telcos to start handing out these microcells to people who need them. Either for free or next to free. We should not have to pay to fix their network, and people deserve good reception at home.

We have been paying for a service we are not receiving for way too long

2. freemicrocell12 macrumors newbie

Dealing with Customer Service at ATT

So followed your steps:
    1) Call customer service and get on the reps good side. A little buttering up is required but once a CSR likes you they are likely to help you.

2) Give a lots and lots of sob story about the zero bars that you get at your home, and then insinuate that you may consider a VERIZON service.

3) Told them my neighbor got promotion.

4) Gave them zip code of 92782 and my address of, poor signal area.

5) They attempt to sell me $20/month microcell unlimited minutes plan

So, I did all the steps above, however no one at customer service on 7/26/10 had no idea about the letter and how to get the letter to get the free Microcell. Finally talked to supervisor, buttering up did not work. He said he did not know anything about getting free Mircocell and he did not deparment information to transfer me to, he said he will bring it to his management AKA "Get off the phone customer".

I wanted to know which phone number did you call?
    I was transfered 3 times, where you transfered?
    What department did you talk with?
    How do I qualify as a premium customer?

Please give more info, because steps above are not working. :(

ATT sucks big time, but got no choice.

3. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I got a free one by e-mailing a manager at a local AT&T store and asking for a free one outright, due to a dead zone at home and the fact that I'm a loyal customer who pays $300+/mo on TV/Internet/voice/wireless. He called me the next day and said sure, no problem.

4. aajeev macrumors regular

Great tips..

Great tips, and sorry to have go hijack your post. But $150 or free it doesn't work. when I had my first 3g microcell it would work except all my friends hated because the my voice would delay and it was just so bad they can't stand it. Second unit, won't even activate over the network the ATT rep? "We have no idea what else we can do for it, return it..." Me "So you mean you want me to return it and keep on suffering with your crappy service". Att rep "Sir, that is not our fault, 3g microceo won't work everywhere"

ATT, how can you come up with something that requites GPS signal when I don't even get cell reception. And the fact that most people want to use 3g microcell at their basement or inside some office building where they "DON'T HAVE OR IS CLOSE TO A WINDOW". Do something like T-mobile's UMA. But sorry that was the last straw for me. Even iPhone 4 can't keep me, I'm leave you for good.

5. 0101001 macrumors 6502

You have to pay 19.99 a month for the service

6. Pepsidude macrumors newbie

Free Microcell

I just called customer service and told them I keep dropping calls in my house (which is true) and he told me that he would credit my account $149.00 and to go pick it up at my local store. Then a few minutes later said that he could sent it to me over night for free. End result, getting a free Microcell and having it shipped for free. should be here today.

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I don't understand this at all....

Ok it is great you guys are getting a free microcell but then you have to pay a monthly fee correct?

Just don't see how paying to make calls via my internet that I'm already paying for is a good thing if I don't NEED the microcell.

8. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

9. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

No. It's like using a WiFi router, but only with 3G. You set it up and use your regular minutes OR YOU COULD pay like $20 for unlimited in-home calls , I believe.

But no it's free to use with your regular minutes.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So they still charge you minutes even though you are NOT using AT&T's network :eek:

11. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Charge?:confused:

You're using your regular minutes that comes with your plan. The Microcell will only ADD to your bill if YOU want unlimited home usage if that's not already within your plan. (Which I believe is around $20)

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You pay for those minutes don't you? They are charging you minutes that you paid for to use another network that you already paid for.

Just doesn't seem like a good deal IMO.

13. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Yeah haha, I'll try and go get one.

14. tzag macrumors member

tzag

Unlimited home usage, but you still get the 450, etc mins that you use elsewhere.

15. Lenxal macrumors regular

Whats not to get.. You pay for microcell and it gives you more signal. You only pay for monthly service if you want unlimited minutes. So you dont have to pay monthly. If you dont pay monthly then you are using your minutes as you would like everyday. Your not payinh extra anything.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think he's saying that when you're using your cell at home, you can pay 20 bucks and get unlimited calling (the equivalent of using the free mobile to mobile) and you'll pay 20 more dollars a month to do it. Which, if you use your phone(s) THAT much at home, might be worth it (thinking of a house full of teenagers, etc).

Otherwise, no... not worth it, might as well just use your regular package minutes and not bother.

And, of course, if you already have unlimited service, there'd be no point. (Though, in truth, it'd prolly be cheaper to do the 20 bucks unlimited at home, lower package minutes for use away from home if you make most of your longer calls at home. That unlimited everywhere deal is EXPENSIVE).

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But you are being charged minutes to use your internet provider. Now if they didn't charge you minutes because you are helping take stress off the AT&T network.......well that would be more ideal :p

18. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I just don't see how paying $20 above what I pay a month to improve their network and use my ISP which I'm also having to pay for a good thing.

19. Lenxal macrumors regular

20. Pepsidude macrumors newbie

All it is is a VOIP system. No extra charge, you just plug it into your internet connection, register it and BAM, five full bars in your house. Can't complain about that...

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

AT&T still has to connect the call once your ISP hands off the data. It's the connection that costs AT&T money. That's why even services like Skype have to charge to make calls to normal phones.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Transport isn't free.

23. Pepsidude macrumors newbie

it comes off your cell minutes you already pay for. At&t does not charge an extra charge for the use of the microcell. They just want $149.00 up front for the equipment. Thats what this thread is all about. Getting it for free.

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Who said that it was? :confused: I was pointing out that transport is not the only cost, and just because AT&T is not transporting the call, doesn't mean they aren't involved, or that they don't have a cost associated with that call.

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But the idea of a company charging people for a device and then charging you full minutes to improve their network......

Yeah that isn't a good deal IMO.