How I Purchased an iPhone 5 today walking in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jz7410, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jz7410 macrumors member

Im not sure if a lot of you know this but best buy & att also have availability locators on their site. Got home from work today went to att to "buy" iphone, checked store stock and a local store had 64gb black available. drove over to store pickup back within 1 hour. Ive been trying the reserve system every night to no avail, att can update anytime throughout the day. Best thing is to check it randomly, call ahead and get over to that att store. They arent aware of shipments until they show up. good luck for those still looking.

PS I even tried going to an apple store 1 hour prior to opening last week and couldnt get one, basically 15-20 people line up to buy and ship them oversees everyday, to beat them youd prob have to be there at 6am just to be in line before them (without knowing if they even have the phone you want in stock)

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

3. maverick22 macrumors 6502

Thanks--had no idea about att's site letting you do this. Of course no att stores even had any. Good to know though. I check BB's all the time.

4. jz7410 thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats the only reason i made the post because i wasnt aware until a few days ago, its a real crap shoot but if you find them in stock theres a good chance youll get them. Im in NJ the 2 stores that had the 64gb in stock at 4:30 still have them in stock now. good luck with your search

5. maverick22 macrumors 6502

Yeah I visited my local AT&T store Saturday morning. The rep said they hardly received any outside of pre-orders. He said they may get one per week here and there and those are gone nearly instantly! Don't forget Radio Shack (although seems like their stock has slowed recently). Wish Target had an online inventory search.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Wow, there are STILL supply issues?! Figured it had cleared up by now.

7. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Great tip! I just got back from at&t. Been casually trying to buy my mom one to upgrade her from the ancient 3GS :O

She says to me "zasto bacas pare!" translated: Why do i waste my money.

After i explained that the iphone 5 has so many more G's than her current iphone, she understood.

The irony is....she asks "why didnt you buy me a case?"

I fail as a son :(

8. dchao macrumors 6502a

Didn't they know that USPS won't allow iPhone to be shipped to oversea address anymore? I tried to ship an iPT5 to the UK, they told me it contains lithium so it is considered as hazardous. Won't accept my shipment at all.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22336/html/updt_004.htm

9. buddybd macrumors 6502

How is that even possible? How do people just carry their phones on board planes then? If it's safe to do that, then it's safe to ship as well.

10. dchao macrumors 6502a

I agree with you completely, it's the most rediculous rule I have ever seen. But I couldn't not ship a iPod to an oversea address. :mad:

11. jz7410 thread starter macrumors member

There were 15-20 Asians lined up before me that day and they kept moving around talking to each other so I know they all knew each other. Anyway when I got in the apple store the apple store rep told me that they line up EVERY morning and buy all the phones cash off contract. I took an assumption that they r going overseas... They have to b making money on them somehow. It's a shame tho. This is prob y it's rumored u can't buy an off contract phone at apple anymore

----------

Lmao

12. eeguh macrumors member

Why are they wasting time at an Apple store waiting when you can get a better phone in Goophone I5? ;)

Attached Files:

13. kannesss macrumors 6502a

That's crazy. I've checked my carrier stores, apple store, best buys, and radioshacks, and not one says they have them. It's horrible. But I have mine on pre order now until 11/16 :(

14. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

This Mom thinks you're the best. :)

Tell her that you wanted to let her pick out the perfect case for herself, given that she has such good taste. ;)

15. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Just did the same thing this evening at my local AT&T store! The salesperson told me they had just received some stock 2 days ago after being out since around launch day. I definitely got lucky.

Congrats on your phone!

16. TinyBFK macrumors member

If it says available on best buys website you just have to be careful of stupid employees that are to lazy to check when you go in. I got lucky and called bestbuy after I saw the website said they had them in stock and the lady said they had 2. When I got there and asked the guy he said no we don't have any so I told him I had just called and was told they had 2 sprint 16gb in stock. He replied by saying he was sure they didn't but he would check (he had the FML look going on). Low and behold I now have a new iPhone 5 I got last night.

17. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Aw thanks! That made my night :)