How I saved 19% off the purchase of my brand new Late 2015 iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tymbo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Tymbo macrumors regular

I thought I'd share with you guys! :)

What you need:
    A device that supports Apple Pay
    Discover Card

Specs chosen (for fact checking):

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
    • 2TB Fusion Drive
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    • Magic Mouse 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll

Bag Subtotal $3,172.00
    Free Shipping $0.00
    Estimated Tax $253.44
    Total $3,425.44

That's the regular price. Buy it through the Education store instead....

Bag Subtotal $2,852.00
    Free Shipping $0.00
    Estimated Tax $227.84
    Total $3,079.84

Difference of...... $345.60

Discover Card users get 10% cash back if they use Apply Pay, right? Yep.

10% of 3079.84 is.... $307.98

Total savings: $653.58 (19.08% of $3425.44)

The Story...
    Well, I thought I could make a BTO purchase by buying gift cards via Apple Pay... at least that's what the Apple girl told me. It wasn't until after the fact that I realized that Gift Cards tend to have stipulations, and with a paranoid call to Discover, they informed me that purchasing Gift Cards indeed do not reward cash back. So I got on the phone with Apple and explained the situation. We talked through how best to handle it, since it's such a weird case. It turns out that when I receive the computer, I can return it to get the money loaded back onto the gift cards. Then, I'll return the gift cards. Finally, I'll purchase the computer back outright directly via Apple Pay, now that the model has an order number that can be "scanned".

And that's the good news of how I saved 19% by switching to Apple Pay.

2. vnr111 macrumors newbie

So I'm planning on doing this also...

Can I just walk into apple store - have them custom order me an iMac and just pay with apple pay (w/ Discover) then? Or do you have do it on the web store?

Web store orders & in app purchases dont count towards the discover cash back promo...

3. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

The Discover cashback is only for instore purchases. You got it from the education store so that is definitely online. It is not clear from your story if the return is to have the purchase qualified as an instore purchase with apple pay. Just a heads up.

4. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's not clear if the 10% is going to work with Discover Apple Pay. That being said, Discover has 5% cashback through Apple online anyway

5. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't buying it online and shipping it to store, then returning it right there, and rebuy it with Apple Pay?

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I'm getting mine using a coveted Apple employee 25% discount
    Summary
    27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 1TB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    • Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit
    Price: $3,628 no sales tax (shipped to Oregon)
    25% off = $2,721 a total savings of $907 no need to go through all that credit card thingy!
    Unfortunately, I'll have to wait 2 months before the system shows up in employee purchase program :(

7. vnr111 macrumors newbie

Do they allow this? Or does it have to be processed through returns first (i.e. Shipped back to apple)

8. vnr111 macrumors newbie

You get the same deal with discover (~20%) and education discount (~5%) combined. And you don't have to wait 2 months.

9. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Interesting strategy - return online order to brick & mortar Apple Store and then rebuy using Apple Pay in hand from same B&M store? I would have guessed that this wouldn't work; that the B&M store wouldn't know how to charge for the purchase of a BTO item, and would simply send it back to corporate.

Additionally, I don't believe B&M stores will do educational discount anymore (they used to, years ago, requiring a school ID of some kind). I'd think that even if they could resell the computer to you, it would be at regular price. Is this wrong?

Please update this thread to let us know if it works.

Also, I hope you really can return the gift cards. Most stores don't allow return of any gift cards, but maybe Apple does?

Here's my calculation for the BTO I want:

• Option 1: BTO with Apple Pay in store (don't think it's possible)
      • Regular price: $3549
      • Tax: $283.92
      • Recycling fee: $4
      • Total: $3836.92
      • 1% Discover cash back + 10% bonus: -$422.06
      • Double Discover cash back in 12 months: -$422.06
      • Final price: $2992.80 (22% off)

• Option 2: EDU online + 5% Discover cash back online
      • EDU price: $3229
      • Tax: $258.32
      • Recycling fee: $4
      • Total: $3491.32
      • 1% Discover cash back + 5% bonus: -$209.47
      • Double Discover cash back in 12 months: -$209.47
      • Final price: $3072.38 (20% off)
    Pretty sure option 2 is the only one that'll work. Option 3 would be EDU + BTO with Apple Pay in store (29% off) but I'm quite sure that isn't possible.

10. vnr111 macrumors newbie

I thought you just show them your student ID in store to get education discount (so it's not a web store purchase)

11. Tymbo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, my initial hope was that I could purchase the gift cards "instore", getting me the 10% cash back, and then purchasing the iMac online. The previous alternative was to buy the mac online, have it shipped TO the store, return it at pick-up, and walk out the store after repurchasing it via Apple Pay. Had I known beforehand gift cards would not work, I would have gone this route. I only desired the gift card option more because eI wanted it shipped to my home.

12. Tymbo thread starter macrumors regular

When I called Discover during my trip back home (after realizing the potential gift card stipulation), they say it applies to all purchases made until 12/31/15, up to $10,000, total.

13. vnr111 macrumors newbie

Which iMac model configurations does Apple Store carry in stock?

14. Tymbo thread starter macrumors regular

I think it could very well be the most simplified method. According to Apple's gift card rep (over the phone, after calling Discover), he told me I could very well return the computer in-store to get money returned to the gift cards, and then I could return the gift cards. In an effort to confirm this, I called the store back to make sure they would allow return of gift computer > gift card > repurchase. The store said it was perfectly fine.

15. Tymbo thread starter macrumors regular

I think option 1 would work because that's the route I'm being forced to take. I mean, I could cancel my order right now and re-do it all tomorrow, but I don't want to delay shipping. At checkout, I was given a delivery estimate of next Thursday/Friday, and this was including next day shipping extra (which I forgot to include in my original summary.

The store and Apple phone support both said gift cards are refundable. *Maybe* they were referring to a "card swap", as that's how the solution of my dilemma was proposed, if you know what I mean.

I very well could be saving more than 19%, because I forgot about the initial 1% cash back, or whatever, for regular purchases (but then wouldn't Discover be better off promoting it as 11% cash back with fine print? /shrug)

16. vnr111 macrumors newbie

Great lemme know how this works for you.

I'll order my Education Discount iMac online -> ship to store on my discover card -> immediately return on pickup -> immediate rebuy in store with Apple Pay.

Best case get 25 percent off (5 percent education + 10% Apple Pay discover x 2). Worst case get 15 percent off (just education + 5% discover x 2)

17. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/apple-pay.html#q24

Well, yours is certainly a variation on my Option 1 - if it works. I don't believe you can normally order a BTO in-store, paying in-store as is required by the Discover Apple Pay promotion. They'll just tell you to order online, which doesn't work for the 10% promotion. That's why I'll be watching this thread to see if your return/rebuy method works. :)

Looks like only non-BTO. You can go to the online store, select a model, and look below where it says Available for pickup:. For me, this always changes from "Today at Apple Store, blah blah" to "Ships to Apple Store, blah blah" as soon as I change anything in the configuration.

18. felt. macrumors 6502a

Genius. Overcharge for products and then when people get it for less than the sticker price they have a feel good moment after handing over thousands of dollars that they got a good deal. Well played apple.

19. vnr111 macrumors newbie

Yup that's how I got my iPhone, iMac, my bmw...

Oh wait that's also how I get my car gas, gmy mortgage, and my delta lounge access....

It's all about beating the system. Someone's gotta get ahead....

20. Tymbo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it excludes gift card purchases. That's why I plan to return my computer so I can get money back onto the gift cards so I can then return the gift cards. I would claim (though the store already knows) that I would like to do a card swap, and pay with my Discover card instead (via Apple Pay). Since I'm doing the transaction in the store via Apple Pay, Discover doesn't know what I've done. For all they know, I returned a purchase and purchased something else... in-store.

21. squaredeux macrumors newbie

squaredeux

i've been planning to do a variant of this as well. as far as i can tell, we get 22% off of whatever we spend at the apple store. my question is, if we buy EDU price, pick up at store, return it at store, and then rebuy the same computer (if they allow it) will they still honor the EDU price?

roughly speaking:
    normal price - 2000
    EDU discount - 1900
    Discover Cashback - 418
    TOTAL = 1482 (25.9% discount) (assuming no tax and fees)

or

normal price - 2000
    Discover Cashback - 440
    TOTAL = 1560 (22% discount) (assuming no tax and fees)

22. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Unless Apple has changed the rules recently, you can get the edu discount instore just by showing your student ID.

No need to go the online store route, just to get educational pricing.

23. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

does discover apple pay cash back have limits? I know their normal 5% cash back is capped at $1500 dollars (spent) per quarter

24. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

So is this just shop at the edu store with the discover card?

25. MacVault macrumors 65816

Is there any way to get this discount online, or any way to order from a real store by phone to get the discount? I want this discount but my nearest store is a 3 hour drive away! :(