How is an on contract iphone being unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkeating2005, Sep 29, 2012.

1. jkeating2005 macrumors regular

First off, I am fully aware of all of the iPhone unlock services on eBay and around the web.

My question is, HOW IS IT BEING DONE?

I have a Business Account with 5 line with AT&T and they wouldn't unlock my 4S.

I also have a lot of people calling and visiting my iPhone repair store to get thier phones unlocked.

I would like to offer them this service, but i cant figure out how it is being done.

2. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

basically there are certain people who have access to the apple servers, imei numbers are then submitted to these servers and go from a black list to a white list. primarily as I understand it, there a few inside att employees who have access and provide to these resellers

3. jkeating2005 thread starter macrumors regular

so basically i need a hook-up at AT&T?

Time to make a few calls....

4. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

or get in touch with one of the resellers and resell for them

5. snook911 macrumors 6502a

If this is true though what these employees and unlockers are doing is illegal. I would think that at&t would have been able to stop this already if this was the case. I am not sure how the are doing it but if there is anything illegal going on it probably won't last long and will end with people going to jail. I mean I wouldn't think it would be to hard to track these guys down through ebay.

6. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

its no different than calling att and telling them verizon has their i5 unlocked do mine or i might switch and they do it, look it is what it is most people unlock for international reasons cause it would not matter in the fact we are all on a contract

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not use one of the eBay sellers?
    Get the unlock for $9 and charge them whatever you want for being the middle man. Something like $30-40

8. rman726 macrumors 6502

A while back I tried calling and getting it unlocked, and they wouldn't do it. But a couple weeks ago, after they went to the online request form, I got approved.

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

the ebay resellers will wholesale the unlocks for much cheaper prices too.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True. Good deal if you have a good and steady amount of unlock customers.
    If not even the one by one can be worth it and its so easy to just submit an imei and send a Payment with PayPal.

11. jkeating2005 thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I have been doing but some people have been complaining of the price...so I was wondering if there was a more direct way.

12. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I would focus on volume and stick to a $5 profit n you should be fine

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's always going to be people complaining about the price no matter what.
    Do what you need to do in order to make some money and to be worth your time and effort. Nothing is free.
    If they can get it cheaper they won't come to you and complain, they will just get it elsewhere. There's cheap people and those who always complain in general.

14. jkeating2005 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess so, I have been purchasing off one eBay seller for 10 days now and have sent him at least 80 imei numbers. Hopefully he can give me some kind of discount

----------

This I know. Lol. My favorite thing as a business owner is when people come In talking about how it's so much cheaper on the Internet.