how is battery life of Window 8 on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dandn0ten, Aug 10, 2014.

1. dandn0ten macrumors newbie

im still in consideration whether to get a rMBP or Surface pro 3. So i would like to know how is the battery life on rMBP mid 14 when using window 8?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you have an intel GPU, it is within about 10% of that in OSX.

If you have an nvidia GPU, it is about 50% that of OSX.

Also, battery life depends heavily on what tasks you are running.

3. dandn0ten thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi im going switch to window 8 for microsoft office mostly while surfing and doing other tasks on osx. How long do you think it will last? Im not going to play games or intensive tasks btw

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Assuming you have an intel GPU only, maybe 6 hours with moderate intensity tasks. If you are only doing office in windows, you might want to look into parallels.

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Do you mean the battery life hit is ~10% and ~50% respectively?

Because having 10% of 9 hours of battery is appalling otherwise :S

6. dandn0ten thread starter macrumors newbie

im going to get 13" version with i5 256gbs. do you think the battery will last about 6 hours on window 8 bootcamp with chrome or IE browsing and Office?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It'll easily last that on a 13" rMBP, 2.6/8/256.

8. dandn0ten thread starter macrumors newbie

well guess i have to give it a try but if it doesnt work out well then i will just return it

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

But.. MS Office for MAC.. or __ not

I suppose there might be a good reason to NOT use MS Office for MAC, and you might even let us know.. That being said, I use it on my MBP, and it works quite perfect seemingly, no different than the version I use on a Windows machine.. Simpler is most often Better, methinks!! :apple:

10. dandn0ten thread starter macrumors newbie

First Office's not free on mac while i "can" get it for "free" on window. Second, Mac's Office's not as perfect as on Window. Third, i have completely mastered Office on Window and if i get office on Mac, i have to relearn almost everything. Final, there are lot of works from school requiring Window.

11. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Interesting... you can get it for 'free' on Mac as well, probably, and if you're using it for college you might be able to get Office 365 University which gives you 4 years for something like $80.

I thought the same but the layouts and things are actually pretty similar. I do get it though, it's just not the same. But Bootcamp must be annoying, having to reboot just for accessing a few Windows programs. If I end up getting a rMBP over a SP3 I will use some of the £60 gift card to get Parallels, looks really good.

12. dandn0ten thread starter macrumors newbie

but Parallels sucks out of even more juice of battery than Bootcamp, i heard

13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Well, I surely cannot deny you the 'not free' part, however, neither is Windows 8 as far as I know, and you WILL require a legit copy to march along accordingly.. And, if as stated above it is for school, there are excellent educational deals available for sure..

I am no computer savant, but do switch back and forth fairly easily between OSX and Windows 7 (or previous) ~ Once again, good luck, I hope you find the Holy Grail of answers here from someone who is using a system as you wish to.. :apple:

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know about that, but with OS X, there's battery saving technology, win8 has that as well but its not being leveraged on the MBP. I don't have any hard numbers but I do see a bigger hit to my battery when I'm in windows 8. I will say one large reason is because I cannot switch to the iGPU

15. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I use Parallels running Windows 8.1 with Microsoft Word and Chrome open for emails I probably get 1hr 45min out of my battery before it pings the 10% message, then it's about 2% every 5 minutes from there.

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Just an estimate, but I meant a ~10% reduction compared to OSX.