How is everyone getting the most out of the 128SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by map1978, Apr 6, 2012.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Just got my 11" w/128SSD and I went from 120 to 75 just by loading iTunes media. I didn't even load my iPhoto library yet which is about 25GB.

Looking for suggestions or best ways to utilize this SSD...what did you do?

Should I buy iTunes Match and keep my media off the SSD of the Air?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

I wish people would invent hard drives that you could externally connect to a computer via the USB port and store all your data on. Maybe somebody will invent one in the future?

/sarcasm

3. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

definitely get iTunes match

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Setup a NAS or use PLEX on a desktop computer?

Or drop $250-$300 for a 256GB SSD and upgrade yours?

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

iTunes match, SD cards and network storage.

Laptop storage, for me, is reserved for everyday files and external storage for less accessed data.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I agree with what others are saying. An iTunes library, for me, would be wasted space that could be better-used for something else on my Air.

While I do use iTunes Match even before that existed I didn't store much of anything, iTunes wise, on my Air.

Michael

7. ericDylan macrumors regular

i have thought about taking my iTunes library off of my mac, but i would want to keep all my movies and most of my tv shows. All that is left to take off is music (which I don't listen to now that I have spotify premium). But, because I only have 6 gbs of music, it is not worth it to split my library up onto multiple drives--making it more difficult to sync my iPod however little I do it.

Itunes takes up 70GB out of 128 (120GB of actual usable space). Add in apps pictures and I am always around 10GB from full :(

This is my primary computer and all of my data is on it right now and I like it all in one place. I just wish I had splurged for the 256GB so that I would have plenty of room for expansion. As it is, I have been deleting old movies I have bought off of iTunes now that they have implemented the new "Purchases" section. It is kinda like a free version of Match that i use for movies. I just delete things with the comfort that I can download them again if I ever feel the need.

8. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Thanks for the brilliant post :roll eyes:

I am def considering this especially now that movies can be stored in the cloud. My library would only max to 30gb....now with iTunes Match, I can take all the music off the laptop and just open iTunes and play all my content via iCloud?

I am def considering weighing the option of upgrading the SSD down the line once the new airs come out and hopefully SSD will drop a few dollars.

Thanks to all with helpful input

9. nexsta macrumors 6502

The best thing you could do: just put the files on your Air that you REALLY need!

10. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I was worried about it at first, but there was solution for me:

I've moved my music library to an external drive and purchased iTunes match.
    When I'm at home I'm listening straight from the drive, when on remote locations without my disk I just stream from iTunes match. That's the thing that helps me most since my iTunes Library is quite big!

11. iClive macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, with 14GB free now out of the 120GB usable, and with some of my data stored on an external drive.

As I also prefer to keep all of my data in one place and use the external drive as a backup, I will probably be going down the 256GB upgrade route.

12. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

The Air doesn't use "SSD" as you know it; it uses a custom flash stick. To get a 240GB 6G stick it's about $500 (or a 3G is $400).

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

13. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Personally I'm using a NAS that's easily accessed through iTunes which saves tons of space for me.

and a personal note: Pathetic how some users reply on threads like these ... If there's nothing to say, save yourself the time to type the stupid remarks.

14. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

I use two external drives with it. All very portable

15. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I keep my iTunes and archive/legacy documents on a USB 500GB WD MyPassport for Mac drive (got it at the Apple Store with some credit I had). It's nice, small, lightweight, functional and does the job effectively. However, I have seen some nice external USB/FireWire cases recently and have a 750GB WD Scorpio Black (7200rpm compared to 5400rpm in the MyPassport) just sitting on my desk and may implement that instead. (FireWire won't matter for the Air, I got rid of my 13" Air in place of upgrading the HDD in my 13" MBP with a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD giving me back Ethernet, optical and FireWire as well as a 2.3GHz i5. I still have an 11" C2D Air.)

16. lc25 macrumors 6502

SD cards for films and such when on the move and i have a couple of large USB hard drives for other files. If i am on the move and need access to my work i generally use DropBox as it just works so well.

17. thestickman macrumors regular

I keep a few songs on my MBA 11 & depend on drives connected to my Time Capsule wirelessly for everything else. Works perfect for me.

18. atMac macrumors 6502

I save most of my files to an external RAID that I share on my network and via FTP.

Currently I have about 15.5GB used. I install all of the apps and updates that I need, remove the apps I don't (chess, iChat, FaceTime, LaunchPad) and then I use SlimmerX to cut out about another 3-500MB of space. Then I remove printer drives, stock Wallpapers, Voices, things like that. So my install is literally as slimmed as I need, and I have a restore image of it on a USB key.

Attached Files:

19. Medic278, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have match and it is useful and I am glad I bought it. I also use Air Drop a lot to transfer files off my MBA to my MBP or iMac to keep the SSD relatively free. I have about 30 gigs of music and another 30 of videos and movies, so that takes up half my SSD right there, but as long as I keep transferring files then I am golden.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Come on - that was kind of funny.

I use iTunes Match and it works fine for conserving disk space.

21. scarred macrumors 6502a

What do I do? I question everything I put on my macbook and get frustrated with my choice of the 128SSD (I didn't know, this was my first mac). :(

Seriously though:

For iPhoto, I have multiple libraries. I've separated my iPhoto libraries into years. I only keep this years library on the Macbook Air., the rest are on an external drive (actually NAS, but whatever). Start iPhoto holding the option key down to see what I mean. You only have to hold the option key down when switching.

For iTunes, I only keep my music on the air. I have the movies I still need to watch in the library as well, but that is only ever a couple.

For big apps, well... I don't put them on. Games are usually the culprit (the small puzzle app store ones are fine, it is the big ones that add up fast). Sad state, but the HD3000 isn't superb for gaming anyways, so it is fine.

I'm excited for the refresh. Going to sell this one and buy the correct version this time. :)

22. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

RAID array NAS connected to the wireless router FTMFW :D