How is quality control now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Nov 1, 2012.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Called up ATT and they have several 64GB iPhone 5s in stock. I had previously pre-ordered and received mine on Sep 21st. It was defective out of the box. I returned it the next week. Just wondering how the quality has improved on later made devices? I had read on here that Apple planned to crack down on quality control.

Any thoughts?

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Received mine a few days ago fresh from the factory (I'll check the build week later) and it came with 2 dead pixels. In terms of scuff issue, there's a little paint missing on the side.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My Apple store manager sister says they're still arriving nicked and scuffed out of the box.

4. iAi macrumors 6502

Mine is flawless manufactured week 43. A black 64 GB beauty.

5. richmds macrumors regular

Got mine today black and phone looked flawless.
    I removed the holder and the pamphlet and a Chinese guy jumped out, he opened my front door and started sprinting full speed down the street. :eek:

6. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Received a week 42 white one a few days ago without any imperfections.

7. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I feel your psin

8. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    Yikes! If these issues were simply a matter of Foxconn adjusting the process or training staff, I think we would have seen the impact of the changes by now.

This tells me that no matter what they do, the softness of the aluminum and type of anodization being used ensures this generation will continue to have these issues until engineering changes are made for the 5S next year.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It sounds like it's more of a manufacturing QC that's contributing to the nicking and scuffing. My black iP5 that I've had for over a month (naked) has yet to show any scratches or wearing down of the anodizing coating, which leads me to believe that a batch of iP5 whose black was rubbing off like crazy had defective anodizing coatings to begin with.

They really need to do something about the manufacturing QC though.

10. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I've had two replacements, the latest one is week 39 and it's flawless in every way, functionality and body. I've been using it naked too and nothing has rubbed off , or flaked off. The phone looks as new as when I got it.

The last two were:

Week 33
    Week 36

And both scuffed

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

You would think that with all of the attention focused on the earlier units arriving scuffed, that the current scuffed units would be set aside and not be packaged and shipped.

I understand that some units are bound to get damaged, if you will, during the assembly process. However, to ship the said to consumers, whom some will return and exchange doesn't make sense to me with regard to the extra time and monies involved . . . But then, I ran a speck of a business, as compared to the billion dollar behemoth.

12. kellte2 macrumors regular

Regardless of damage out of the box, the aluminum is soft and easily 'dingable'. My girlfriend gently tapped my iPhone with a ring on her finger and it left a blemish. Even if your device is still perfect, that doesn't change the hardness of aluminum.

13. mrobit macrumors regular

Was he naked and did he beat you with a tire iron first?

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Update:

Week 43