How is the 5s screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 20, 2013.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I know it's a panel lottery like all :apple: products (and before you dispute this, Anandtech said they had a nicer panel in their 5c than 5s, but it's because of this reason), but are you experiencing any issues with it, and how is it compared to your 5?

better quality/same/worse?

I know everyone's mileage will vary on this, but I am curious :cool:

I hope those vertical interlacing screens don't appear again, but I dunno how you'd be able to easily tell on a 5s unless you're sensitive to it (maybe the grey area on the camera icon too, that's how it was easily visible on 5 with ios6)

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I put my 5 next to my 5S, both on iOS7 and the screens look exactly the same. I can not tell them apart.

3. Spacial macrumors 6502

Side by side here on my desk at work, they're identical.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the 3rd party Apple accessories industry paid Apple big bucks not to change the design.

Recycling the 5 one more time allows Apple and the case makers to make massive profits.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Great!

With 4 to 4s, I had a washed out 4s. But just never bothered to replace it because I knew it was going to be a tie over before getting the 5.

5. King Bowser macrumors regular

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I rememebr getting a funky colored screen with my 4S but the 5S is crisp and clean to me. Backlighting not too cool or warm. If mine is an example then Apple did very good here!

I am impressed. The camera IS improved.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

My 5s screen is ever so slightly warmer than my 5. However, I think the 5 may have been too cool so the 5s "feels" more accurate. I don't have a colorimeter handy though.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

9. c0LdFire macrumors regular

I'd say my 5S screen looks better then my 5. It's a little brighter / more vivid. Nothing huge, though. Panel lottery ftw.

10. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Agreed, 5s looked slightly warmer, but works really well with iOS 7

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I hint Apple was listening they have no choice when people return phones. Looks like they have done much better on correcting the color temp on their new devices.

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

a bit worse contrast

so, I'm coming from a 4s, GF has a 5, but I waited for the 5s to upgrade.

I'm finding the 5s has pretty noticeably LESS contrast than my 4s when doing things like reading in safari. on the 4s the TEXT on the white page just jumps off the page, the definition between the white and black text is very clear and crisp and makes reading very easy.

On the 5s, however, it is not as crisp and at the moment is a bit tiring to use. I went with the black phone since I don't like the distraction of the white bezel with a black line in between it and the white screen (in like email or safari or twitter, etc.)..

Is this just the way these new screens are, or is this just an ios7 issue, or were some of the 4s screens just that good?

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

The latter: it's a panel lottery.

Unless they are on different iOS versions then it could be in your head:

with pastely 7 icons vs the darker and more saturated 6 icons.

14. madKIR macrumors 6502

I checked maybe 5-6 display units yesterday and all but one still had the interlacing scan lines. It looks like Apple didn't do anything about it and keeps purchasing the same panels as last year's.
    In terms of calibration and color the units looked brighter and more vivid than my 5.

15. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Beautiful :)

I don't plan on comparing it to anything either. In my mind the screen is already perfect and I'm happy with it, why would I need to compare it to every screen out there to see if there is something better?

16. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

You don't, I'm happy for you.

Normally if I get a product with upgraded specs but same screen, I prefer the screen to be at least as good if not better than the one before.

But I'm weird.