how is the display screen of late 2013 iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hallex, May 11, 2014.

1. hallex macrumors member

Hi there, in the world of Mac, i'm effectively a novice, and i am about to buy my first mac ever in my life.

I've been interested in 27" imac and 15.4 rmbp, but i'm not very clear how is the display screen of the imac model in actual use. Compared with RETINA display of 15.4 macbook pro, how much differences between them and whether it is worth buying?

Your answers will be pretty helpful.

Thanks.

2. Susansmac macrumors newbie

I have the 27" display for about 3 weeks now. I'm a designer so screens matter to me. I have to say it is beautiful! I really love it. Having reduced glare is a nice bonus, I can work with windows behind me with no issues. Color is great, resolution is great. I have a retina on my iPad and I am just as happy with my imac screen. No yellowing issues, it's everything I wanted.

3. hallex thread starter macrumors member

thanks, ur reply is pretty inspiring. i think i am getting closer to buy a imac.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Hi hallex,

I own the 2012 27" iMac, and I have to agree with Susanmac. In comparison to other computers, it is a very high quality display. With the talks of retina displays, and 2560x1600 pixel 13" displays , we sometimes forget that many of these displays are scaled (the same applies to the 15" model). You get as little as 1/4 the potential real estate. The 27" 1440p display just has massive screen real estate, and it is gorgeous at that.

The iMac is great, and it is much more powerful than the rMBP, but you lose portability with the iMac, as with any desktop. As a general rule of thumb, desktops will be much nicer than laptops per dollar, but you lose the form factor. It is just something to consider, as a laptop can make a huge difference if you aren't just working at your desk.

Just wondering, but what iMac are you planning on getting? The fusion drive is a must-buy if you aren't going pure ssd, as it will make your user experience significantly better. A small piece of advice, if you can't afford the exact iMac you want, look into getting a 2012 refurbished iMac from Apple. The 2013 iMac did not see significant upgrades this year, so many of the 2012 iMacs will actually give you better performance, except for maybe one or two high end configurations. I can go into more detail about each of the components, but I don't want to bore you. Let me know if you want more clarification!

Best,
    Matt

5. hallex thread starter macrumors member

wow, many thanks for ur answer. i think i am getting more and more clear on which one i will buy, yes, it must be the 27" late 2013 imac with a pure ssd drive.

thanks again
    Hallex

----------

In additon, i am willing to wait until next month's WWDC, to see if there is a refresh appears, if not, i will spend my money immediately.:)

6. Jolly-boo macrumors member

Personally I've been wanting an iMac for a time now, as my old computer is getting quite old. But I can wait a year or two for when a retina iMac comes. Scaled or not, I don't care.

Go into a store that has all Mac products, and then look at a Retina Macbook screen and then at a iMac screen. Look at the icons at the bottom. You'll notice a difference, especially on a 21,5 iMac. I do realize that the distance between you and the iMac is greater, but I do sit quite closely, and I will notice the icons. It's unpleasant to go back. Obviously my eyes will adjust and I'll forget about it but ....

... I am fine waiting.

But the iMac screen is still gorgeous. If none of the above bothers you, then by all means buy it. I expect a major upgrade next year, or the one after. There's usually a major upgrade after 3-4 years.

7. cypriot macrumors regular

Once upon a time in 2009 i chose macbook over an imac. It has been a great portable computer but now with ipad available i would choose imac instantly. I now consider a mac mini (if updated) because it is portable and it is a computer at the same time. Make your decision regarding your needs. If no portability needed imac is the king. If you need portability choose between rMp and mm. Hope it helps you decide.

8. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I've been a long time Mac user and have had several Mac desktops and laptops over the years. My current main machine is a 27" iMac and I think the screen is amazing. The color is great and I like the new method Apple is using to bond the glass and panel together - really helps the color pop and it eliminates a decent amount of glare depending upon the lighting situation in the room.

However, my job recently issued me a 13" retina MacBook Pro. After working on it and then coming home and using the iMac, my eyes need to adjust a bit as the individual pixels are more noticeable, particularly around icons and buttons throughout the OS. I run the MacBook resolution at the highest possible for more space. Everything is so clear and sharp. The only exception is certain images and graphics don't fair well with the pixel scaling / doubling method that is used. Sometimes images on websites appear blurry due to this scaling.

While I appreciate the sharp, crisp resolution on the retina MacBook, I ultimately prefer the iMac in the end.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.