How is the iPad version of Keynote and Office compared with the Mac OS X versions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peterpan123, Nov 5, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, could anybody knowledgeable with both versions share the experience?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The latest versions of iWork for iOS and OSX can exchange documents and maintain formatting/appearance. The iOS version of iWork has less functions. Just one example: Pages for iOS does not support character styles, only paragraph styles.

For light editing on the go, iWork for iOS can modify documents for later cleanup and markup using the OSX version.

The same is true for MS Office, though the functional differences between the iOS and OSX versions are even greater than the differences between the versions of iWork.

What are some things that you are hoping to be able to do?

3. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. On my Mac, I use Keynote in iWork, Word and Excel for MAC. I often share files with Windows users who use Word and EXCEL. I have no compatibility problems sharing Word and Excel files with Windows users. In case I buy the iPad PRO, I wonder if the Word and EXCEL for this device is fully compatibility with the Mac OS and Windows versions.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I use Office on the Mac and iOS. They are compatible but not comparable. iOS has a stripped down set of features so they are fine for basic tasks such as creating documents, spreadsheets, presentations but for more advanced features you need to migrate the document to a Mac. I view the iOS versions as excellent portable tools that can do a lot of what I need and are far more convenient to use on the go but the final editing needs to be done on a Mac or PC. For example, I use mail merge and linked files to create final reports; something you can't do with the iOS versions. I can create the base documents on the iPad and then integrate them on my Mac. Similarly, in iOS, embedded videos are not possible in PowerPoint and I've had issues with complex formatting or odd fonts.

That said, Office on the iPad is a very useful tool. I've never really transitioned to iWorks, despite being a long time user of its predecessors on the Apple ][ and liking Keynote; since all of my clients use MS Office and thus I need to produce documents using them to ensure compatibility.

5. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. How often does the following scenario happen?

- Downloaded a Word template from a source
    - Modified it in Words under Mac version of Office
    - Modified it in Words under Office for IOS
    - Once imported to the Mac version of Words, some stuffs such as formatting got messed up. Needed to do final readjustments.