How is the new home button on the iPhone 5 compared to previous models?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey everyone.

Just wondering for those of you who already have the iPhone 5, how does it feel compared to the iPhone 4 and 4S?

Im asking because my iPhone 4 home button broke after only 1 year, and there has been many other people with this problem. The button becomes less responsive over time. Its natural.

I saw on pocketnow.com that the new home button feels different, like stronger.

Is it true? Does it feel better?

2. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Unbelievably strong. It has a very solid click to it, far better than the mushy home button of the iPhone 4 that I came from.

I truly can't see this one flaking out like the past ones...

3. polygoo macrumors member

Mine actually feels more inset, and it's not 100% level and has more inset on the top vs the bottom. I think this is actually a defect but I'm not too picky about it

4. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I upgraded from an iPhone 4, and that one had the issue you described - the Home button became unresponsive, and often took anywhere from 1-5 clicks for it to finally register. Then sometimes it would actually register as a double-click. Annoying.

I know the iPhone 5 is still brand new, but coming from the 4, I feel like the Home button feels very solid and responsive. I hope it stays like this for 2 years.

5. txflyfish macrumors member

its durability is still unproven at this stage for all we know it could be another -gate problem next month...what we do know is that there are additional support and it FEELS "clicky" instead of "mushy"

6. E Male macrumors member

Received my iPhone 5 today and the home button was DOA! Completely unresponsive. Had to return it to the Apple Store for a replacement. :mad:

7. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Ive read some reviews that claim its more stronger. Hopefully it will last longer.

Im waiting to try one in person.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

My iPhone 4 button was getting a little worn like others have described. The new button on my 5 feels great, but I think that's how the 4 felt when I got it. Only time will tell. I do hope apple move away from physical buttons soon though. There is no need.

9. matttye macrumors 601

Feels strong to me but I haven't had the 4/4S.

10. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

No comparison with my old i4 home button. The one on my i5 works, while the one on my old i4 didn't work 75% of the time :). This was one of the reasons I got Applecare with my two i5's, just in case the home button starts to mess up in the 2nd year like it did on the 4. That plus the damage replacement since I'm going naked.

Like someone else said, Apple needs to get rid of the home button and put in a gesture instead.