How Is Voter ID Racist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

The progressives love to play the race card when it comes to voter ID but have never been able to articulate the issue other than 'its racist and if you don't agree with you are racist!!!' so, how is requiring an ID to vote racist?

Do any state have laws which preclude certain groups from obtaining an ID to vote?

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

typically, when i think of freedoms that we americans enjoy, you don't need an ID to claim your right.

freedom of speech for example, i've never been asked for my id when i said something crazy like stalin forever, or **** yeah guns n' beer!

but when i show up to cast my vote, a right just like any other, i have to identify myself? why is that?
    is the freedom to cast a vote not a right anymore?

3. Andeavor macrumors 6502

How else do they verify that you're a US citizen? They don't know you and need you on file somehow.

I find it very odd that in a country, where people throw all their private information at commercial companies (Facebook, Apple, etc.) the minute someone asks for an ID - something that citizens in foreign countries receive anyway - they scream bloody murder of having their rights infringed. You may have the right to cast a vote but the person on the other side of the desk or counter still needs to verify you're a citizen with that right.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If the OP looked back on previous threads on this issue he'd find many progressives like myself who have no problem with voter IDs.

I had a problem with attempts to change voting requirements without giving people adequate time to comply with those new rules.

Here is a post from September 27, 2012, in the thread, I dont agree that requiring I.D. is voter suppression.? ...

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You obviously haven't listened very carefully to the discussion of the issue.

Voter ID laws are not explicitly racist. There is nothing in the text of any voter ID law that refers to race in describing how the law should be administered.

But then you should consider there was nothing explicitly racist about poll taxes and voter literacy tests employed by Southern states in the pre-Civil Rights era. But if the net result was the effective disenfranchisement of a disproportionately large fraction of the African-American community; then it is hard to argue that the weren't racist in both their intent and result.

So too with this Voter ID nonsense.

Lets get one thing off the table: Voter Fraud is basically a problem that doesn't exist. Outside the febrile imaginations of Rush Limbaugh and other conservative talk radio hate-mongers, that is Every study of the issue that has been done suggests it occurs at a rate somewhere below 0.0001%. You are, quite literally, more likely to be struck by lightning than to commit vote fraud. It is a crime with infinitely minute; and impossible to perceive, rewards to the perpetrator. It might soothe the intellects of idiotic racists to believe that ACORN or the New Black Panthers "stole" the election for Barack Obama in 2008, but simple facts dictate otherwise.

So having established that there really is no rationale need for Voter ID laws, we are left with the irrefutable conclusion that something else must be behind the urgency with which Conservatives keep introducing them.

Voter ID laws, like the poll taxes and literacy tests abolished by our more democratically-inclined forebears, impose a disproportionately high burden upon certain subsets of the population. Most Voter ID requirements are met by presenting a Drivers License from the state. But if, due to low incomes and concentration in places with greater access to public transportation, the African-American population has a lower overall rate of having drivers licenses; then one may conclude that the net result is that they will be able to vote less.

Republicans in this country have long had the mistaken conceit of fooling themselves that they are somehow smarter than their Democratic and Liberal fellow-citizens. The fact that they profess innocence when it comes to the intent of Voter ID laws suggests they are either liars or morons.

Which are you?

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Actually, it's CONservatives that bring up the race card in any issue. And in reality, racism is far from dead.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If Voter fraud was a real issue then I'd have no issue with voter ID.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

By default Americans are not issued and form of ID and that's the rub. It wasn't until the 80's that people were even required to have a Social Security number I'm not even sure it's required even now beyond taxes. When you require an ID to vote you disenfranchise the poor, the less mobile, and the elderly. It was a solution looking for a problem.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I do not think that it is the requirement of voter ID which is the problem here, but more if that the ID is easily/cheaply acquired and that the regulations are known well in advance of any election.

All major countries of mainland Europe have a form of ID card, and voters are required to produce ID when voting.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

To get an ID in Missouri, you need one of each from the following groups:

1. US Birth Certificate, US Passport, US certification of citizenship, naturalization or birth abroad
    2. Social security number
    3. Utility bill, paycheck stub, mortgage document, voter registration card, property tax receipt, housing rental contract, bank statement.

Now, imagine for a second you're homeless:

From group one, you don't have a passport because you're not traveling overseas anytime soon, not to mention a passport is well over 100 bucks that you don't have. You were born here, so no certificate of citizenship. Birth certificate? I'd guess you don't have one readily available. To get a copy of your BC in St. Louis County, it's $15. But you're homeless. You don't have $15, and if you did, it would go towards food. Then there's the cost of the bus fare to get to the office of vital records to get the BC.

Group two, social security number. I don't think you have to actually show the SS card. Hopefully you know your SSN. This might be the easiest requirement,

Group three, again, you're homeless. What utilities? You don't have any of those. Paycheck stub? Yeah, you're probably not working. Mortgage document and housing rental contract are out because you have neither. Property tax receipt - what property? I also strongly doubt you have a bank account, so that's out. Lastly, the final accepted document from group 3 is a voter registration card - which you need an ID to obtain.

And finally, you need $11 to pay the fee for the ID itself, which, if you're homeless, is a lot of money you don't have.

A large percentage of homeless people are black, so explain to me again, how is it not racist?

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I have no problem with voter ID.

As long as it's provided free to every citizen of the state.
    As long as the materials required to prove your citizenship are free to every citizen in the state.
    As long as the wait to receive said materials is not excessive or unreasonable - preferably the materials would be given during that visit to obtain them.
    As long as transportation to obtain one is provided free to every citizen in the state.

Otherwise, it places a burden on low-income citizens. And last time I checked, they have just as much right to vote as I do. And their vote counted exactly as much as my vote. And charging for a Voter ID or charging for materials to get a voter ID is pretty much a poll tax. And I'd like to think we've moved beyond that sort of ****.

I don't understand why any state would actively work to create burdens for its citizens to vote. To me, that seems Anti-American. Especially since voter fraud is not a statistically significant problem.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the percentage of voter fraud was in the previous election? Go on. Guess.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Texas, again. :rolleyes:

http://electionlawblog.org/?p=54115

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I need an ID to exercise my 2nd Amendment right. I can't purchase a gun without ID. In most cases I can't concealed carry without a license.

Funny how people seem to think that it is ok to require an ID to exercise one right, but not for another.:rolleyes:

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In a nut shell, my impression is that some kind of ID has always been required and I know they use it to check the voter against a master list of registered voters. You just can't walk in and say you want to vote as an anonymous person. A voter registration card is what I have used for years. But the type of BS that the GOP is currently orchestrating such as closing polling places in primarily Democrat voter locations, restricting early voting, requiring drivers licenses, or an ID for the only purpose is voting, that the individual has to pay for, and making short notice registration more difficult is BS. Voting should be made easier, not harder. :(

15. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

So as procuring firearms is a constitutional right requiring an ID to claim this right should be unconstitutional?

----------

Heh, should have read the entire thread before replying.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why didn't you say, "Funny how you seem to think ..."?

Who are these other people you're referring to?

Please point them out.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is some actual "gun fraud" though. And guns are also fairly expensive. I doubt the ID costs more than a fraction of the cost of the gun.

18. iMerik macrumors 6502

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True. I don't have a problem with needing an ID to purchase a gun or background checks. My problem is with people like I quoted who think that we can't ask for IDs to vote because it is our right, but then have no problem with needing an ID to purchase a gun.

----------

Bad choice of words on my part, but you really don't think that the person I quoted is the only one to think that way, do you?

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Voter ID laws are not racist. Enacting laws to disenfranchise others from voting is.

I've said before, I have no problem with voter ID as long as it is free, easy to obtain and not done close to an election. Ideally, I'd like to see one election have to pass before it became mandatory.

If you look into the issue and all the new voter laws enacted, they invariable hit the poor, elderly and students the most. Many are minorities.

Do some reading and you'll find that those without ID are big numbers and obtaining it ins't easy for many.

21. Huntn, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My guess is that the culprit states don't want to spend the money to make it easy. Why help what is perceived as the enemy? What is currently being facilitated by Republican controlled State legislatures is truly heinous and anti-democratic. :(

22. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

How do you know it isn't?

Have you seen the article about a guy walking into the voting precinct of the attorney general claiming to be Eric Holder himself? The attendant was going to give him a ballot and let him vote without so much as checking his drivers license. The man refused of course because that would have been illegal to actually accept the ballot. He did it just to prove a point of how easy it is to commit voter fraud.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...one_uses_eric_holders_ballot_in_washington_dc

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll leave you the wise words of General Colin Powell.

24. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's as racist as needing to show ID to board a plane.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No.

But this whole thread is based on an overreach that progressives think voter IDs are racist, when I and other progressives have no problem with IDs. We only had a problem with the idea being implemented mere months before the 2012 election—which would have resulted in the potential disenfranchisement of millions of voters.

So I'm against broad brushes.

We're a limited group of members engaged in a discussion here in PRSI. I'd prefer if we likewise limited our categorization of opposing viewpoints to those actually expressed (or perhaps quantified through reputable polls).

But that's just my opinion.