Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Those of you who have no screen protectors, how is your screen holding up? I went and got my phone exchanged today at the Apple Store and they took my glass screen protector off and ruined it by laying it face down on the table. It has junk all over it that would not come off. I was told to talk to my customer relations rep I have worked with to resolve the issue and he would be able to send me a free one. So that means it'll be a few days to a week before I get one in. Hoping I do not get scratches on the screen before then but hoping someone can enlighten me on how their own phone is holding up. Thanks!

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Those of you who have no screen protectors, how is your screen holding up? I went and got my phone exchanged today at the Apple Store and they took my glass screen protector off and ruined it by laying it face down on the table. It has junk all over it that would not come off. I was told to talk to my customer relations rep I have worked with to resolve the issue and he would be able to send me a free one. So that means it'll be a few days to a week before I get one in. Hoping I do not get scratches on the screen before then but hoping someone can enlighten me on how their own phone is holding up. Thanks!

I have not put screen protectors on any of my phones in several years. Never had an issue. I actually prefer no screen protector....

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas

I have always used one.

Reactions: Duncanator

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I have had one on my 7+ from the day I got it last week but exchanged it do to the hissing noise. Now I'm screen protector less and really do not want to spend $35 on another one when the tech is the one who ruined it. Hopefully Apple makes it right with me tomorrow when my rep calls me to check in but I'm really just hoping I do not get scratches in the few days I'll be without one. I'm super careful with my phones. I never put them down on a hard surface or in my pocket. I am OCD (which sucks).

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I have had one on my 7+ from the day I got it last week but exchanged it do to the hissing noise. Now I'm screen protector less and really do not want to spend $35 on another one when the tech is the one who ruined it. Hopefully Apple makes it right with me tomorrow when my rep calls me to check in but I'm really just hoping I do not get scratches in the few days I'll be without one. I'm super careful with my phones. I never put them down on a hard surface or in my pocket. I am OCD (which sucks).
They should really have replaced it. That does suck.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I put a tempered glass screen protector the moment it comes out of the box. My screens have done pretty well without one, but it helps when selling the device later on to have a flawless screen.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Don't they have a lifetime warranty? I know Zagg does, not sure about the Bodyguardz.

I'm not sure but they ended up trashing it. It was by far the WORST experience I have had. The guy I worked with acted annoyed. He too the replacement phone a just dropped it on the table with no care. He slid it around the table like a hockey puck. It's a wonder there are no scratches on my phone.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore

They usually offer Store credits that offsets the cost of getting another protector etc, provided you highlighted before the exchange

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I'm ready to talk to my customer relations rep tomorrow and get it sorted out. I am past the hissing noise as the replacement has it but not as noticeable. I'll hang onto this phone for a few weeks or months until they have all kinks worked out. I just want my $1,000 phone to stay looking nice hence the screen protector.

Reactions: Thor_1

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I always used screen protectors in the past. But for the iPhone 7 I decided not to have one. The display is so much better without a screen protector. Since I have had no problems with my Apple watch, I thought I might as well try this without a screen protector. My wife never uses one and has never had an issue.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I always used screen protectors in the past. But for the iPhone 7 I decided not to have one. The display is so much better without a screen protector. Since I have had no problems with my Apple watch, I thought I might as well try this without a screen protector. My wife never uses one and has never had an issue.
You've never had an issue until you've had an issue. The very first day my mother got her iPhone she dropped it and a rock stuck right in the middle of her screen ... which would have cracked it had it not been for the tempered glass screen protector. After removing it, her screen didn't have a scratch on it. It's easy to remain confident about not using one until the inevitable happens. Or you could be lucky and nothing will ever happen. I do understand enjoying the screen without one though ... but the one I use is completely transparent and doesn't take away from the screen at all.

I'm glad you haven't had anything terrible happen yet. I hope it stays that way.

vdor

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Stopped using screen protector after the iPhone 4 ages ago. They're awful and ruin the user experience. No issues whatsoever and I'm aware and careful enough not to damage the device; having no screen protector does not equate with recklessness. I've never broken or shattered an iPhone, despite having had some accidental drops and falls.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Even though it was unintentional, that would have thoroughly angered me, if someone would have treated my property like that. Fortunately Apple will resolve it.

And my screen has no scratches with no screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.