How legit is this? Verizon 4S work with Tmobile USA(VIDEO)

Asianxfatty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Hello, i was browing through youtube and i found a video of this..this video seems legit, i am questioning it myself how he got his Verizon 4S to work with Tmobile USA..any explanation, i wish i could do it to my verizon 4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7y1iDbh6w

IF anyone can help explain that would make this godly

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Hello, i was browing through youtube and i found a video of this..this video seems legit, i am questioning it myself how he got his Verizon 4S to work with Tmobile USA..any explanation, i wish i could do it to my verizon 4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7y1iDbh6w

IF anyone can help explain that would make this godly
I believe that their is only one version of the 4S, so it has both antennas in it. The 4 had the separate CDMA model, and won't work as you described.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
This isn't legit we don't know what sim card he put in the 4S he could've put an international sim card which will roam on AT&T in the US

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This isn't legit we don't know what sim card he put in the 4S he could've put an international sim card which will roam on AT&T in the US
If it was roaming on ATT, it would actually say ATT as the carrier. I am not saying it is legit, but the fact that it says TMO as the carrier sorta debunks your reasoning.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
If it was roaming on ATT, it would actually say ATT as the carrier. I am not saying it is legit, but the fact that it says TMO as the carrier sorta debunks your reasoning.
Right but when roaming you'll see a carrier icon and I believe you can select Tmo

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I'm from Canada on the Telus network and I'm visiting Florida right now and my iPhone 4 (HSPA) will often shift from AT&T to T-Mobile while roaming. I've used both carriers successfully.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm from Canada on the Telus network and I'm visiting Florida right now and my iPhone 4 (HSPA) will often shift from AT&T to T-Mobile while roaming. I've used both carriers successfully.
Makes sense, as I mentioned, it will always show whatever network you are acutally roaming on.

iloveiphone4

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
it is quite possible as supposedly Verizon will unlock their iphone 4s if user has 6 months of good standing with verizon. So one lucky user might have convinced a rep to unlock his verizon iphone 4s sooner.

Once it is unlocked, you can pop-in any SIM. Although every where I read, they all say, that all verizon/sprint phones will never work with att and t-mobile but will work for any other carrier in the world once unlocked.

Asianxfatty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
i dont think hes roaming tmobile..he did say he unlocked his phone with that verizon 6 month thing which unlocks it for international. look at his sim card, if it was from another country it wouldnt have the same one as the the tmobile usa

----------

I believe that their is only one version of the 4S, so it has both antennas in it. The 4 had the separate CDMA model, and won't work as you described.
yeah theres only 1 verison of the iphone 4s, and if fully unlocked a person can switch back and forth in the usa, and internationally...maybe the person in the youtube video glitched it.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
He could have done this:

1. Unlocked his Verizon iPhone 4S from meeting Verizon's requirements for international usage.

2. Visited the UK or Germany and obtained a T-Mobile UK or T-Mobile DE SIM card.

3. Returned to the US with the SIM roaming on T-Mobile USA.

And to people who live in the US and not seem to have the Carrier menu, I live in Australia with an unlocked 4S and there is a Carrier menu under Settings where I can search for and manually select which carrier to connect to.

Asianxfatty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
would he really go through all that trouble to make a video that got my hopes up for a full unlock for my verizon iphone 4s?

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
would he really go through all that trouble to make a video that got my hopes up for a full unlock for my verizon iphone 4s?
He didn't necessary have to travel to all those countries, I mean he could have gotten an active SIM off eBay, or a family member/friend just came back, he found the SIM.... many possibilities, but it's really not that hard. I got a CSL SIM in Hong Kong and when I returned to Australia, I could roam on all three networks here via the Carrier menu.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow to get them to unlock my phone and just start popping in friends and families sim cards to see if I can make it work.

larock

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I had Verizon "unlock" my iPhone 4s for international use. Then I popped in a GoSim global sim card in it. It jumped on AT&T for a bit then settled on TMo. Pulled it out rebooted the phone and was back on Verizon. Neat little trick, but I only plan to use it when traveling outside the USA. I couldn't find my TMo prepaid sim to test out, but everything I have read indicates it won't work.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, he would.
You'd be surprised how much BS is posted on youtube videos just to generate views.
And I think we dont need to tell you any more, you know the answer already.
You're just grasping for straws of hope.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
I might end up buying a Sprint iPhone 4S soon and I hope that later on in the future we would be able the to fully unlock the GSM part for Domestic use. I would have chosen ATT's iPhone 4S but I would have to pay a 300$ deposit which is impossible as I dont have that amount to spare. =(

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
it is quite possible as supposedly Verizon will unlock their iphone 4s if user has 6 months of good standing with verizon. So one lucky user might have convinced a rep to unlock his verizon iphone 4s sooner.

Once it is unlocked, you can pop-in any SIM. Although every where I read, they all say, that all verizon/sprint phones will never work with att and t-mobile but will work for any other carrier in the world once unlocked.
Yes Verizon will unlock it only for international use.