Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think we'll see video conferencing on the next iPhone?

• Total voters

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
People keep mentioning this, but what do you think the chances are of having a front facing camera with iChat/video conferencing as seen here?

iphone-4g.jpg

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Maybe? I think we'll see a change though. I don't think they'll go three straight iPhones with the same design. I hope not!

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Maybe on WiFi only, this would bring AT&Ts network to the ground if it was on 3G.

It would be pretty nice to have though.

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I also wish for the Aluminum backing, however; I don't think it will happen. It think the design will change, but not back to alu. The metal blocks the GPS Signal completely and with the popularity of the GPS apps ( I love my tomtom ), I don't see it happening.

Sadly.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well after using the Ustream app which also works on 3G very well. I'd say it's highly likely. :D

Eddieowns

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Portland, OR
Even though other companies have made front-facing cameras, and failed, I think Apple will be able to pull it off with their marketing team.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Even though other companies have made front-facing cameras, and failed, I think Apple will be able to pull it off with their marketing team.

Not only marketing but with ease of use, simplicity and with the iphones large lcd screen. Its cool doing video chats but it kinda sucks doing it over a 1 inch screen like with other manufacturers.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Not only marketing but with ease of use, simplicity and with the iphones large lcd screen. Its cool doing video chats but it kinda sucks doing it over a 1 inch screen like with other manufacturers.

Yes, and having it compatible with desktop video chat clients over IP will be essential; nobody wants to pay their carrier by the minute for video chat.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
design change for color iphones

I can see the iphones using the same color/material as the new nanos. The color chromish metal that the nano's have is really pretty. Would be really cool to have a color selection of iphones.

Also something that i have been thinking of lately is the new iphone rolling out with a new theme store. One of the main reasons that people jailbreak is for themes so why not make a store like the app store that artists can design themes and sell them for .99+

anyway just my ideas.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Maybe? I think we'll see a change though. I don't think they'll go three straight iPhones with the same design. I hope not!

I'm taking this opportunity to check out Apple's pattern. iPhones 1,1 ( 2G ), 1,2 ( 3G ), 2,1 ( 3GS ) and the next one, 3,1 ( 4G ). If there's a design change in 1,2 ( 3G ) and no design change for 2,1 ( 3GS ), I'm crossing my fingers and watching if 3,1 ( 4G ) has a design change.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

There's only been 3 iPhones. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS.

I doubt there will be a front-facing video camera. The iPhone is just too thin to have two cameras of non-crap caliber and both able to take video. AT&T's network is stretched thin enough as it is, the bandwidth needed for video calling is just too great.

No aluminum because it just blocks signals. With a 3G modem, WiFi and GPS chips, aluminum would shove them out into the snow in a heartbeat.

JadedBen

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Essex, UK
There's only been 3 iPhones. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS.

I think you miss-read what they said... IF the next iPhone comes out with the same design, it would be the 3rd phone in a row with the same design.. they're hoping this is not the case..

Personally i like the design & shape how it is, though i'd like the back to be made of say, kevlar, rather than carbon which would hinder the reception.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I'm taking this opportunity to check out Apple's pattern. iPhones 1,1 ( 2G ), 1,2 ( 3G ), 2,1 ( 3GS ) and the next one, 3,1 ( 4G ). If there's a design change in 1,2 ( 3G ) and no design change for 2,1 ( 3GS ), I'm crossing my fingers and watching if 3,1 ( 4G ) has a design change.

I think you're misreading the pattern. Following the pattern you're discerning, there should be a 2,2 this summer with a design change but minimal hardware change. There would then be a new 3,1 model in summer 2011 with no design change but a major hardware upgrade.

I have to say, though, that it's hard to be sure of a pattern based on three data points.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I still don't get why people want this feature now. As mentioned AT&T's network is already horrible. This feature would absolutely kill the battery. Plus, you'd have to hold the phone far away from you to get yourself in the shot, unless you want a distorted lens.

I say, let's master phone call quality and dropping-issues before we move to video conferencing over 3G on an iPhone. I'd love to get high-quality sound and less cut-outs as this should have already been achieved on cellphones by now.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I think a front facing camera is possible, but not for video chatting. AT&T had to upgrade their network (supposedly) just to allow MMS for us, i couldnt even imagine how long it would take for them to upgrade to allow video chat. At WWDC they would say "Video chatting for AT&T users would be available by the end of summer.......................of 2012."

But even if the front facing camera wouldn't work for like video chatting, it would also be helpful for taking pictures of yourself.

I think that it is possible that it will have one, there has to be something new to make people want to buy it. I really dont see how much more they can add to the iPhone other than new hardware and an OS update.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I think you're misreading the pattern. Following the pattern you're discerning, there should be a 2,2 this summer with a design change but minimal hardware change. There would then be a new 3,1 model in summer 2011 with no design change but a major hardware upgrade.

I have to say, though, that it's hard to be sure of a pattern based on three data points.

There was a report here before the launch of the 3GS that 2,1 and 3,1 were located in databases. If the 3GS is 2,1 , we'll have to see if there are any others. If not, predictions would be that the next iPhone would be 3,1.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

Can't happen at this point. We're looking at a major platform change because of the advancement of mobile hardware since the 3GS launch.

Matty520

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I still don't get why people want this feature now. As mentioned AT&T's network is already horrible. This feature would absolutely kill the battery. Plus, you'd have to hold the phone far away from you to get yourself in the shot, unless you want a distorted lens.

I say, let's master phone call quality and dropping-issues before we move to video conferencing over 3G on an iPhone. I'd love to get high-quality sound and less cut-outs as this should have already been achieved on cellphones by now.

amen

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Some people don't seem to realize that the United States isn't the onliest country in the world.

Let's say Europe: you can compare a country over there, with a state in the USA.

The big difference is that there are multiple carriers per country (or 'State'). You guys have Verizon, AT&T and some others: for the whole country. I'm pretty sure Europe is able to handle such traffic. Same for, let's say, China. They are already prepared on very much traffic.

And than another thing: you may must pay extra for 'iChat'. AT&T might say "Okay, you can use iChat but than you must pay an extra $10". And next to that, still a lot of phones do NOT support video calls: you won't be able to use iChat, if the other mobile phone isn't able to support video calls.

So...
- A lot of countries can handle the amount of traffic, sad for you guys AT&T apparently doesn't.
- Some carriers might ask money for it, if that happens less people will use it.|
- Some phones will not support video calls, and if that's the case than you can't use it either.

My answer to the topic's starter question: it's possible, but probably not. Sure, maybe Apple wants to give AT&T more time. Sure, maybe Apple chooses another carrier (or it goes for multiple carriers) and wants to see how it works out and how other carriers handle it. They might also wait until more phones are going to support it. I just think they wait until 2011 - when LTE is going to be used, not just in the USA.

And as someone else said, maybe there will be a front camera but without video chatting (which they can easily add via a firmware update later on). It would be smart of Apple to do this, but we know Apple and they probably won't add video conference.

With the 5G they will do something like: "NEW! Video calls on the iPhone, only and alone on the iPhone 5G". Just like with the 3Gs with creating videos, they can add it in the 2G and 3G but they just don't (even though they slowly allow 3th party apps to create video).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.