How likely is it for 13" MB(pro), to get I-core procesor historically

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris7777, Feb 1, 2010.

  1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #1
    I was wondering how apple did the processors when they switched to intel from PPC.

    I was all ready to buy but since they pushed back the updates till whenever, I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get whats currently selling. If they only historically upgraded the top of the line (17", & 15") or like on the Imac the 27" being the only one available in quad core. (I have wondered if the whole line desktop and laptop, might be upgraded to I-core as well)

    I can potentially wait another week or so, but I am needing to get a couple pretty soon. I am working on an app with my partner, and we are still using Pc's and we can till do some of the graphic files and jut transfer them to mac once we do upgrade, but both of our computers are pretty old (5+) and hopefully any upgrade will help speed up production. My problem is I am fronting the hardware myself, and if It does really boost performance what they are rumored to, I would rather buy new instead of refurbished.

    But if they are likely to just bump the speed on the core 2's for the 13"s the $400 it would save me on a pair would be a nice discount, if the speed bump is minor, and only the top of the line machines get the I-5's (or whatever they put in them).

    Should I try and hold off another week or 2? I mean if I do go refurbished I will likely have to buy them one at a time anyway.
     
  2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA
    #2
    Advice from a fellow developer aka me :cool::

    Buy the 13" now. Don't worry about updates they are going to happen at some point (and nobody really knows when except Jobs and Co.). Everyone's intuition is that it may happen in the next few months.

    But...Your 13" is not going to be any less effective at compiling in a few months. I frequently use mine for iPhone (and now iPad) development away from my Mac Pro beast, and while there is a difference, the few seconds difference gives me a chance to sip on my tea or coffee.

    Use proceeds from your app to upgrade to the 2011 machines. :D

    Good luck! Hope to see your app up soon.
     
  3. al2o3cr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    #3
    Realistically, you'll see so much of a speed bump just getting away from 5+ year old hardware that it doesn't matter.

    It'd be reasonable to expect the whole Pro line to get some flavor of Arrandale at the same time (saves on logic board design $$$), but the bump (relative to the late 2009 C2D models) isn't anywhere near the one you'll get going from 2004 to 2009.
     
  4. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #4
    Oh I am sure they will be faster, but I am going to have to borrow to get these, and I would hope I am getting the best value for my buck I can afford.

    I know it all goes obsolete almost immediately, but if the gains really are what is being touted, I wonder if It would be better to wait, or just get the refurbished ones.

    I realize it probably won't be like the nvida graphics, jump in performance, but I want the most future proof(and resellable) maching I can afford, hence why I want to at least spring for pros vs the standard MB, since resell will be likely better on the MBP when I do get to the point of upgrading.

    Also my current laptop is roughly equivalent to a netbook, but it has suited me for most needs up until recently, so I am hoping to do similar with whateve MB I get.
     
  5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    I feel a good point to make is that the 13" Macbook Pro is Apples best selling portable. For that reason Apple may choose to give it a larger than expected bump to match the 15".
     
  6. uhohzitzcooky macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    #6
    Considering companies like Gateway and HP are loading their models with Core i3 processors starting at $499, I'm sure Apple will go i3 on Macbook 13", i5 on Macbook 15", and i7 on Macbook 15/17. Performance is considerably better if you're multitasking or just wanting longevity.

    There have been some leaks on Intel's Retailedge site about upcoming changes. It referenced a Macbook 15" i5. I wasn't able to see the promo myself, but the leaked page looks consistent with other pages.

    Intel's GMA HD is supposed to be on par with 9400m, but I haven't seen to many reviews on that yet, just hear-say.

    If I had to guess though, it'll probably be another month before we see changes. That's just speculation though.
     
  7. seb-opp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    London/Norwich
    #7
    it sounds like you don't desperately need to buy one right now, otherwise you wouldn't be hesitating about getting one straight away. It's hard to say when they will be upgraded, but I'd say definitely before June, but then again, could be towards the end of this month.

    I don't think the upgrade could happen within the next 3 weeks because its too soon after the iPad introduction (although chances are new macbooks will be a silent refresh) and there are no rumours of dwindling mbp stocks, which usually seems to happen before a refresh.

    So maybe hold out until the new ones come out, or buy one straight away so you've had it for a while before new ones get released, then you wouldn't feel too bad about missing out on the new ones if they came out as late as April or May
     
  8. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Location:
    West Oz
    #8
    You would think sooner rather later :)

    Not being party to Apples plans who knows when core i processors will find their way into their notebooks. But seeing that a number of companies are selling new core i3, i5 and i7 machines and there has been some advertising pointing to these as being the 'next step' in the print media and chain store material I would think that we would see something in the macbooks sooner rather than later.
     
  9. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #9
    I can orobably hold off a couple of more week, I jut don't know, about a month or more, like I said we are running on aged machines, I had to replace my HD a few months back, but its still not "acting" the way it did. And my Partners machine is even more ancient, I at least spent some $ on mine, his is a black Friday laptop.

    I guess I will try to play it by ear, I know I want refurbished if I don't splurge on the upgrade i-3/5, I just hope it doesn't end up being too much longer.

    Thanks for the tips about inventory , I just hope apple bites the bullet and releaes these soon, So we can get to work. Like I aid we can hopefully do mot of the artwork on pc, but it would be nice to get macs so we could get the Dev Kit and start pouring through it.
     
  10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

    TheBritishBloke

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #10
    If you can hold of DO IT.

    Even if they don't give the I-Series to the 13", they'll still get a speed bump, the low-end one may even see 2.66Ghz!

    I'd say wait, resist and wait! Lol ^^

    I know developers have needs, but maybe you could make do for a while?
     
  11. Gadzie macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #11
    Unless Apple has completely abandoned its regular schedule for hardware refreshes for no good reason, the new Macbooks will be coming out this month.
     
  12. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #12
    I Am trying, we are using traditional means of illustration, for most of the artwork. And we are still refining the script and storyline. But I know that My laptop runs circles around his. We had tried to enter a contest last year, when My HD crashed, and things that I could do in like 10-15 minutes took him at least 2-3 times as long waiting on his laptop to render them. We are using CS2 right now and it runs acceptably on mine, (But mine has been buggy recently and had overheating problems in the past, I had to replace the HD last year, and cleaned a dust plug from the heatsink) His is just an older lower model that may be a year older than mine. I have a turion 64 1.6 ghz, w/ 2 gigs of ram, his is some sort of celeron with only 512, and I may break and buy him another set of ram, but If we can possibly get buy till the upgrades, I dont want to blow any more than I have to.

    So do you think even if it only gets a processor speed bump, that it will be worth the extra $200 per unit?
    I guess I need to look at what the previous speed bumps have been.

    Also I figure I will also go ahead and at the very least bump the ram to 4 gigs, (unless I hear that 3 will do, or It is a significant saving)
     
  13. enberg macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2010
    #13
    Intel will stop manufacturing Core 2 Duos this summer, so it's not like Apple have much of a choice but to update.
     
  14. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

    Synchromesh

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Location:
    SF
    #14
    I seriously doubt that. Apple likes to unify as much as they can. It makes a lot of sense since it means maintaining less different hardware platforms as well as adding less software changes. Also, considering that pretty much all of Apple's machines are in the premium segment they are more or less obligated to deliver the hardware on the level. My guess is that they'll be mostly i5 with i7 possible on top models.

    Historically any Intel graphics has been complete and utter junk, I'd be much surprised if this change with GMA HD. I hope that Apple continues to use ATI/Nvidia solutions as they are almost always better than Intel's.
     
  15. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #15
    I would definitely prefer the i5 (i7 would be dream come true, but I realize the chances of that one)
    at this point I don't care as long as its not C2D

    I remember reading somewhere that if they do switch to intel, that it would be likely that it would at least be equivalent to the Nvida chop currently in use.


    Which brings up a new question, Reliability.

    I would love it if all they do is change the processor and somehow maintain the nvida graphics, but if they change both the processor and graphics?

    I have been looking at the 27" imac screen issue, and it has me wondering about adopting new technology so soon.

    I guess I really wont know for sure till we all know the specs, but Reliability is somewhat an issue. Considering these will be work machines.

    Obviously if the pluses outweigh the minuses, I will probably risk being a new adopter (significant speed increase, or larger HD etc)

    Oh on a side note. I have been wondering that if I say end up getting a current gen refurb for example, what would be the minimum size solid state HD I could put in it and still get decent functionality out of it? Or should I start a new thread for that question?
     
  16. ARF900 macrumors 65816

    ARF900

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    #16
    Just my opinion but I doubt we will see new MBPs before WWDC
     
  17. MacMandy macrumors 6502

    MacMandy

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #17
    When is WWDC this year?
     
  18. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

    TheBritishBloke

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #18
    It's understandable that it can be tough, if you're desperate for a computer now, and not bothered about the extra little bump, buy it now. You will most likely NOT see the I-Series in the 13", maybe the high-end 15" and 17" base.

    You may get 400Mhz faster in the Base 13", we don't know, all we can do is speculate. Sorry.

    May/June I believe.
     
  19. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #19
    From 28th of June to 2nd of July so almost a month later than last year

    I doubt it. I guess 13" will either have Core i5 520M (2.4GHz) or M
    540M (2.53GHz), otherwise 13" and high-end 15" and 17" would all have the same CPU which would make no sense.

    Apple may even do it like this:

    13" - Core i3 330M (2.13GHz) and 350M (2.26GHz)
    15" - Core i5 520M (2.4GHz) and 540M (2.53GHz)
    17" - Core i7 620M (2.66GHz) and high-end/BTO option for 720QM (1.6GHz), 820QM (1.73GHz) and/or 920XM (2.0GHz)
     
  20. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #20
    I just hope that either they carry over the nvida graphics somehow, or that it doesn't take a nosedive in that department. Hopefully it will at least be equivalent.
     
  21. pinzel51 macrumors newbie

    pinzel51

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #21
    I sure hope so ... even Dell has some i3 / i5 and i7 in their laptop now ! :eek:

    New INSPIRON 14
    Featuring Intel's latest Core i3 and Core i5 Processors
    14.1" | 4.81 lbs
    From $649

    New INSPIRON 15
    Featuring Intel's latest Core i3 and Core i5 Processors
    15.6" | 5.4 lbs
    From $649

    New INSPIRON 17
    Featuring Intel's latest Core i3 and Core i5 Processors
    17.3" | 6.35 lbs
    From $749

    At that price it's hard not to be tempted ... although it's much better to have a :apple: MBP
     
  22. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #22
    The only time it really matters to wait any reasonable amount of time between MacBook updates is a significant CPU update which is going to occur right now. And I don't mean just clock speed bumps, but a real improvement on the architecture.

    That, and the unibody MacBook Pros were worth waiting for. And the thing is that there were leaks for weeks before they were actually released. It wasn't a dramatic surprise.

    You should know that hardware that ISN'T performance related is always updated in every release. Maybe it's a new port, or a better screen, or a better battery, or new trackpad. Something always changes from one revision to another. And that's the thing people REALLY are waiting for. CPU increases aren't all that noticeable if you don't know what to look for, and they only delay the inevitable of your computer feeling slow. You just want to spend the least amount of money waiting for that moment.
     
  23. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #23
    Exactly these will be mobile work stations, but I figure If the app does well , we will probably sell at least one of them, I figure I will get the most return on my investment by going with the newest architecture.

    My biggest concerns besides the waiting game (the $800 macbook at micro center is tempting) Are the likely intel graphics, and really my biggest reservation, new architecture without working the bugs out.

    One good thing is we have scored an old powermac G4 that I am hoping we can install leopard onto and the sdk. So we can at least look at it and get a feel for it. While we wait on the MBP upgrades, to get down to busness.
     

Share This Page