How likely is it that we'll get iPhone 5 style black anodised aluminium macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iFanboy, Oct 15, 2012.

1. iFanboy Guest

I have an iPhone 5 black anodised aluminium, and I think it looks sleek as hell.

How likely is it that apple will make that an option for macbooks any time soon?

2. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything.

14% of people know that.”

:D

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

6. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I've been waiting for something like this to happen since the Black Macbook... It would be tremendously cool, although scratches are imminent with use.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

After all the **** with the iPhone 5, I can't see this happening anytime.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Wow... and all along I thought it was 32.34% ... boy was I wrong. :rolleyes:

9. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Just do up the sticker skins.

Do up the sticker thing, get custom made stickers, do like sticker skin thingy or what ever. Sell it to the rest of us for 80 bux, those sticker skin things are so over priced, I sourced out a supplier for my own sticker skins and it is way less than what they charge.

10. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Seriously, though. Steve Jobs was once asked about this and said that they had tried it but that the oils from the palms of your hands caused the black finish to wear/flake off.

Unless they solved that issue, it's doubtful that they're going to release one.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

although I think a black MBP would sell well and be pretty cool ... I don't see it in the near future.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Clearly they have, as the iPhone gets handled even more than a computer. I don't think flaking is an issue, but I think ugly scratches, low manufacturing yields and other things might be.

Frankly, having a choice in colour of my Macs would be agonizing! I'd never be sure I chose the right one!

13. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

The silver keys flaked off like crazy for me on my 2007 17" MBP for sure, they still are the BEST keys to type on, my fingers glide and I type much faster, more accurately than on the new chiclet keys because the tips of my fingers get caught between the spacings.

14. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Palm sweat on warm palm rests of a laptop is really not the same as gripping the edges of your phone, and depending on your line of work there's a good chance you use your laptop a lot more than your phone.

I don't think they have "clearly" figured out anything, and with the issues of chipping on the black iPhones I don't think they're going to make the jump to fully powder coating laptops anytime soon.

In the past Apple also made color choice on Macs less agonizing by jacking the price of the black one up by $100s, so there's that for you ;)

----------

...what?

15. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i'm surprised they use a plating method versus mixing the dye right in the aluminum. they could melt it down, add the dye, cool it into a block, then laser cut it. <- patent pending, contact me for licensing info.

16. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I thought someone from Apple already put this question to rest? They said when they tried it in the past the palm rests got really bad looking after long term usage so they were straying away from using it.

17. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hello, I am from Samsung and would like to license this aluminum. We will use it in our "SamBook Pro with Eyeball Display". How much are the licensing fees?

:D:rolleyes:

18. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

Lol

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh I see, so the new Samsung Series 9 isn't licensed? :p