How likely will 85W Mag_safe Power Adapter be used for the upcoming MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Apr 6, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, do you think Apple will still use the same power adapter for the upcoming MBP?

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Hopefully, I don't want to see all MacBooks use a type c. There is no quick release feature and that has saved my laptop from flying off the table on more than one occasion when I have tripped over the lead.

EDIT: Thinking about it... Unless they build a quick release feature further down the cable like old Xbox controllers used to have. This would allow them to do whatever they wanted with the laptop end.

3. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Probably not. Look at the 12 inch MacBook. It is the direction we are headed I believe. Although there was a patent on having a MagSafe port thing in the device itself so who knows.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No, to go thinner and or the appearance Apple will very likely opt for USB C as it can handle up to 100W (of the top of my head). Would be handy if Apple offer a USB C - MagSafe adaptor to allow you to use the older power supply with new systems, equally Apple could screw everybody over, as it wasn't offered on the release of the Retina MacBook, after all margins are margins...

Q-6

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I'm wondering...

If Apple chooses to go all USB-C though that means they lose all that revenue and profit from selling chargers. Given that almost everybody goes through several chargers during their MacBook's lifetime that is not an inconsiderable amount. Nobody in their right mind would pay for Apple chargers when they can buy reliable and cheaper ones elsewhere, Apple does not have control of the USB-C patent unlike MagSafe. In this situation it wouldn't surprise me if they bake in extra features when using an Apple charger instead of third party, much like the iPhone 6s battery case.

Or... Maybe they do want to drop them because they are sick of all the complaints, the reviews on chargers on their own site are pretty abysmal. I noticed they dropped the AA charger the second the new keyboard and trackpad was released and that had awful reviews too.

6. wurendo macrumors newbie

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple in this scenario will just "bake" any potential revenue loss into the primary hardware, same as they do with OS X. The very last thing Apple will consider is any mechanism that may negative impact their revenue stream. Just look at the current 15" rMBP pricing at $2500 it`s litteraly hilarious.

Another aspect is that the majority of Apple`s customers are not tech savvy, so will likely look to Apple for any replacement, as Apple will no doubt strictly recommend only their own chargers.

Q-6