How literal/strict are ETFs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Here's my situation. I got an iPhone 4S about a month after the model was released two years ago, and I switched to Verizon then. Now AT&T's service has gotten much better, and I can jump back in with my parents on a mobile share plan and everybody wins.

I'm impatient, but I'm also practical. But I also have a 10/18 contract end date with Verizon.

My new bill period starts in a couple of days, so I'll be on the last month on release day. I also have an extra 5 percent off at Target (in addition to the 5 percent I already get off with the credit card), which means I can save an extra $15 or so on a 32GB model before 10/4.

RIDDLE ME THIS: It sounds like I'm going to have to wait until the middle of October to do this. I'll miss out on saving an extra $15, but at best I'll have to pay my $82 phone bill for whatever service I use between 9/18 and 10/18. If I jump on AT&T on 9/20, then my share of it all will be about $70, certainly more than the extra $15 I can save.

So is my best path forward to wait until my contract is totally done with Verizon? If I cancel a day early, I'm assuming an ETF of about $120 awaits me ($350 - 23 months x $10/month = $120). I paid the ETF for AT&T a couple of years ago of about $80 because I needed service that worked. Everybody has gone way up on ETFs, and I haven't dealt with Verizon doing that, so I'd love some advice.

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Perhaps Verizon will be willing to work with you on the cost since you are so close to the end of your contract, especially if you threaten to switch. best thing is to go into a corporate store and talk to them about it.

3. LithePanther macrumors 6502

But make sure it's a corporate store. Franchise stores don't have the same power as corporate stores.

4. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

bad advice stores have nothing to do with cancellation they are there to sell you stuff and activate new lines, call the toll free number and ask for retentions be super nice and explain your situation and tell them you want to port your number

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I though I said that.

6. LithePanther macrumors 6502

You did. I emphasized. You're welcome.

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I actually wish they were much stricter.

I don't like it when businesses play favorites and provide some customers with early upgrades while not for others.

Either make a fair across-the-board policy for all customers or shut everyone down from getting out of their ETF's.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You're trying to switch carriers. I see no reason for Verizon to work with you on this.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If it is like AT&T, stores do not have the power to over ride ETFs.