How long before Apple can match Satios specs (OLED, 12MP Cam XenonFlash, wifi N etc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

There's no questioning that the iPhone is unmatched in terms of user interface and the app store. That's why I'm getting the 3GS.

But how long do you think it'll be before Apple catches up with the hardware specs of the Sony Ericsson Satio and Samsung Omnia HD? Why does it seem like Apple's flagship phone is so far behind competitor phones when it comes to phone hardware? I would think Apple of all people would be able to match these specs...

The Samsung Omnia HD features an OLED capacitive screen, 720p video recording, and 8mp camera with flash and has been out for a while now.

Sony Ericsson Satio, packs a 12mp camera, with true xenon flash that takes excellent pictures.

Have you ever compared an OLED screen to an LCD screen. It's breathtaking. The OLED's colors are insanely vibrant, they make LCD screens look a generation behind. OLEDs colors honestly look just as sharp and vibrant as colors look in the real world on a bright sunny day. And they allow the phone to be thinner and save battery life on top of that!

And many phones even from 2008 offered OLED screens, why doesn't Apple.

I demoed the higher megapixel camera phones. The camera is definately NOT subpar. I would go so far as to say that it's pictures are very comparable to standalone digital cameras, which I can't say about any other camera phone!!

The 3GS is definately not a small bump over the 3G. It's a huge leap forward over the 2G/3G. And Apple definately dominates the software end of phone. But in terms of hardware, it's still no where close to using even mid-2008 (which is when the N85 was released) cutting edge cellphone technology.

Do you think Apple will finally match competitors in time for next years iPhone 4G? Will the next iPhone feature a HD video recorder and Xenon flash like this year's Sony Satio?

PS: The next iPhone WILL be called the iPhone 4G. It just makes way too much sense not to. It's the fourth generation iPhone AND it will support AT&T's 4G network. So the name is pretty much a given.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Who knows. I don't think most people here that want OLED know anything about the technology besides the fact that its 'new'. Remember camera's aren't about the megapixels. Flashes are cheesy on phones (just my opinion). And Wifi N isn't that useful because how often do you push 54Mbps (802.11 G) on a phone anyway?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yay, spec weenies ...

Whip it out and compare specs, when all the girls care about is how well it works or doesn't when you try to use it.

4. damesJ macrumors member

thats if at&t will even have 4g ready. They say 2011 but for some reason Im skeptical. After the whole tethering, mms, and how upgrading their current 3g won't be done until 2011. Hopefully Verizon will put some pressure on at&t in this department.

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Probably next refresh. This is why I believe the 3GS was such a small bump. Compared to what Apple could have put in this year, and what they probably will next, the S is simply a small bump. As I've said before, dual core ARM Cortex A9 processors, another ram boost, new gpu and OLED screen next year. :D

6. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i know a ton about oled and i would like it on the next iphone for sure.

although they are having problems with the lifespan on larger panels (especially with blue diodes)...the smaller screens used in phones are becoming very reliable. The battery savings would be very noticeable...and the colors and black are amazing.
    If the cost comes down a little more..we will see LG oleds in all new apple products. Just makes sense...the manufacturing process is very easy and cheap once it is perfected.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I wish everyone who says the S is a small bump would get banned. Ugh, its not a small bump at all. Just because it looks the same, people knock it down. If it had that stupid matte finish you would be saying its the most refreshed device since the first prototype telephone made in 1876.

8. Razeus macrumors 601

Apple is not concerned about creating the most powerful device.

They are concerned about making a functional, stylish device that is fast and just works with specs that are decent and cost effective and profitable and does justice to battery life.

9. Razeus macrumors 601

Your'e living in a dream world.

The 3GS is NOT a small bump. 2G to 3G is a small bump. Actually it was a micro bump.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think its a case of apple catching up with technical specifications but rather apple providing a well designed, well performing well rounded device and service. That's where the iPhone has excelled at and will continue.

For instance, while 802.11n is great (I have it at home), clearly most of the bandwidth is lost because my internet dsl connection is slower then 802.11n. I'd suspect that's the case for most connections.

What good is a 5MP camera when the lens and focusing system is subpar.

I'm less concerned about throwing in the latest and greatest components but rather making sure what is used, works well together.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Having "phones with better specs" must be why Nokia is failing.

Nokia ships 19% fewer phones, loses share
    http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/09/04/16/nokia.q1.2009.results/

What good are features if the user can't use it (through software interface) or if it's hard to use?

FYI
    N85 "features":
    - Small 2.6" screen
    - Maximum Memory Card Size of 8 GB (comes with 0gb?)
    - 802.11b/g (no, there is no wireless-N, you are confusing it with N-Gage)
    - No multi touch
    - No touch screen

12. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I don't know why you guys don't care about better hardware. I personally want both Apple's hardware AND interface to be top notch. Why settle for a great interface but on weak hardware. As Apple fans, we should ask more of them.

I demoed the Nokia N85. The camera is definately NOT subpar.

I would go so far as to say that it's pictures are very comparable to standalone digital cameras, which I can't say about any other camera phone!!

As for people that want an OLED screen not knowing what OLED is, maybe, but if they did know about it, they would want it even more.

Have you ever compared an OLED screen to an LCD screen. It's breathtaking.

The OLED's colors are insanely vibrant, they make LCD screens look a generation behind. OLEDs colors honestly look just as vibrant as colors look in the real world on a bright sunny day. And they allow the phone to be thinner and save battery life on top of that. Trust me, I know all about OLEDs and I definately want one.

No, the 3GS is definately not a small bump over the 3G. It's a leap forward actually. But it's still no where close to using even 2008's cutting edge cellphone technology.

13. bjquach macrumors 6502

N85 doesn't have any sort of QWERTY keyboard for making emails and texts easier.

14. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I'm not saying the N85 is the perfect phone, not even close. I opted to get iPhone 3GS over it because of Apple's fantastic interface.

But in terms of hardware, Apple is behind the competition by a few years, and that just makes me sad.

Because if the iPhone did utilize cutting edge hardware, it would be the perfect phone, bar none.

15. ripkord macrumors 6502

Mate why bother, no one is interested if theres even slight critisism of the iphone. Defensive isnt the word!

16. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I didn't say anything about the exterior. Don't put words in my mouth. Please, next time read my post before making yourself look more like an idiot. :rolleyes:

See this is the kind of person living in denial that Apple didn't upgrade to match the rumors.

17. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The 3GS was a pretty big bump up actually.

Much faster and newer processor and GPU, double the ram, far better camera and video camera, 7.2 support etc are all significant upgrades.

But the iPhone still doesn't match up to even 2008's cutting edge cellphone hardware is my point.

18. golden3159 macrumors member

Not a single Apple device ever made EVER has and no Apple device in the future ever WILL be the leader in hardware specifications.

Apple hardware is inferior to everything else in every product they make. No secret there.

19. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Whenever they launch new iPhone, APPLE will target new prices to be $199 and $299 (of course with carrier's subsidy); I believe this will always be the same at least for some time. $199 and $299 are proven to be magic numbers both for iPhone and its users. More upscale new iPhone at $299/$399 will leave many people out with tighter budgets and $99/$199 will limit the phone's specs.

So, APPLE makes new iPhone with $199/$299 in mind. OLED HD and all these latest goodies are great but they will increase the production cost thus decreasing APPLE's profit margin. Good news to APPLE is iPhone does not have to be the latest technology to sell. Where at iPhone is behind, it easily makes up at somewhere else, and the total package is far more attractive than most latest smart phones out there.

20. Pared macrumors 65816

Not only are you wrong by saying a "few years," the N85 isn't exactly "competition" at this point.

21. jayenh macrumors 6502

i don't know; the processor in the air, at the time of its release, was a pretty big break through. i'd also say the top specced mac pro's are probably some of the best desktop hardware out there for raw power.

but ultimately, i see the point. apple are about quality, not "quantity" (in this case, spec sheets).

the OP said it himself; not the best spec phone in the world, but best user interface, and therefore best user experience, which gives good customer satisfaction.

22. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

But the iphone is heavily subsidized. ATT gives them atleast $400 per each iPhone sold, on top of all the money that Apple makes from the App store and the profit sharing it has with ATT over the data plan.

Apple could easily afford to make an $800 phone and sell it for $199 or $299 thanks to all these subsidies.

It could leap ahead of the competition's hardware actually, if it wanted to give it's customers the best tech possible, along with the best user interface.

It would win over all the windows mobile and power phone geeks too, not just cater to the Apple fanbase.

23. mappyman macrumors regular

I don't know why people keep knocking 802.11n. It's not just about speed its about distance as well, it has 2x / 3x more range.

I've been in large pubs and gardens where the range of 802.11g just wont cut it and it strugles to lock onto wifi. I hope apple puts it in the 4th gen iPhone.

24. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Frankly who cares, Apple can't be forced to release a new phone every time someone comes up with a phone with better specs. They release a new phone every year.

25. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yes, but the Nokia N85 came out around this time LAST YEAR.

Apple had a full year to match it's specs, and it still used weaker hardware/a worse screen.